PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great 'Embarrassing MoneySaving tips' Hunt

Comments

• my gift in a mug went down a treat when a family member just had a baby.
    i bought the 10p different variety hot chocolates and latte/cappicinos from B&M, i took them out of a wrapper and bought some plastic clear envelope sleeves 3p each and decorated each one with curling ribbon and stuck a sticker on the back on what flavour it was and to just add water.
    I also included a flap jack which was 20p from b&m, with a special k bar 20p and the mug was 25p in tesco as they were selling off different winnie the pooh character mugs, so ive stocked up on a few for presents during the year and il do a similar thing.

so all in all it cost me 79p to make!!! and she loved it and said how it was nice to receive a gift for being a new mum.
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    dom300186 wrote: »
    my gift in a mug went down a treat when a family member just had a baby.
    i bought the 10p different variety hot chocolates and latte/cappicinos from B&M, i took them out of a wrapper and bought some plastic clear envelope sleeves 3p each and decorated each one with curling ribbon and stuck a sticker on the back on what flavour it was and to just add water.
    I also included a flap jack which was 20p from b&m, with a special k bar 20p and the mug was 25p in tesco as they were selling off different winnie the pooh character mugs, so ive stocked up on a few for presents during the year and il do a similar thing.

so all in all it cost me 79p to make!!! and she loved it and said how it was nice to receive a gift for being a new mum.

That sounds lovely:)
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • what people dont know cant hurt them i say lol
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    7roland8 wrote: »
    Wel as well as DVDs I do try and get books I like so can have a read before giving as pressies - had two this week on the Past Times sale. Always very careful with them so they're still pristine.

ha ha! I should do this but I'd probably spill my tea on the book or something. I've made the mistake in the past of buying books for other people that I really want to read myself. Then I feel too embarrassed to actually ask to borrow the book. And quite possibly it's not even a book that interests them anyway as everyone's taste is so different. Now I stick to giving gift vouchers and reserving things from library
    weaving through the chaos...
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was given a good moneysaving tip yesterday, for those of us who are well endowed up top, don't waste money buying lacy chemise to cover our 'excess' use the top of old knickers, cut off the waistband & 3 or 4 inches below, discard the crotch & back. Sew this into the neckline of any tops that are too low to wear on their own.
    Hester

never heard that one before! seriously hester do you know someone who does this?

I suppose no-one would know would they...although I can imagine one of my kids saying "mum, didn't you used to have a pair of knickers that looked just like that?"

reading your post with your sig made me laugh...never let success go to your head, failure to your heart, or old pants to your bosom!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    never heard that one before! seriously hester do you know someone who does this?
    Well they do sell littly 'modesty panels' that fit to your bra to go under low necks so this isn't much different.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • Hi Phizzimum
    Someone I work with does it & was showing me yesterday

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A few things I've started doing over the years (err..some of them embarrassing because I didnt think of them sooner..:o):

- Having broken my way through any number of "traditional" style wine glasses (ie goblet with stem) - I realised that this was happening because of my tendency to do the washing-up in a hurry/have to cram a lot on to the draining board at a time and thereby "catching" the stems with my elbows. So I bought a set of small tumbler type glasses (thinking "If its good enough for the French - then its good enough for me"). I've not broken a single wine glass since and the ones I found are exactly the size I require (ie the "old" measure of 125 ml). They were a set of 12 for a £1:D in a discount shop.

- The type of cheap vegetable racks with detachable baskets have a multitude of uses. I was wondering how to keep the pile of paperwork/clipped magazine articles tidy until I actually get round to dealing with it:o. Bingo - one of those detachable veg. baskets:D

- The good quality takeaway food containers have a multitude of uses. I dont buy takeaways/ready meals - but my parents do...so I have a good supply of them (the ones my mother hasnt hung onto - because she also re-uses them:)). They are useful for freezer containers and are just the right size for my own home-mixed bread spread.

- Why didnt I think of it before time? But the only frozen vegetable I buy is peas and they all clidge together in the huge bags I buy and get ice all over them, etc. I've now decanted them into small ziplock bags (which will, of course, be washed and re-used).

- Why did I spend good money on buying doorstops? I've just realised I could probably have used old-style used-up cotton reels screwed to my skirting boards and painted to match. DUH!

- Mini garden trugs have a multitude of uses inside the house too. My main one is that its useful to have a "bucket" that hasnt got just one handle and that handle has been designed to break if much weight is put in the bucket. Bingo - I now use a mini trug instead as a household "bucket".
  • [QUOTE=

We do this with lemon slices for my G&T - chop a lemon up, lay all the bits flat on a chopping board, freeze them then bag up once frozen. No need to defrost when using![/QUOTE]

I do / Did something similar we bought weaning trays (basically ice cube trays with lids!) when we were weaning DD. I went through a phase of chopping my lemon popping on in each pot adding water then we had ready done ice and slice! Once frozen just put them in a bag!!
    was Proud to be dealing with debt! LBM 12.09.09 [STRIKE]£23,157.76,[/STRIKE] 28/03/11 £12.827.07:eek: Not quite sure on debts now as kind of gone by the wayside but back on form now! Will edit as i figure them out
    Hsbs CC £5313.73 Overdrafts (3) £3173.84, Marks and spencer CC £0 :) AA CC £3400.18
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2011 at 4:04PM
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I'm always too hot whatever the weather (even pre-menopause!) but my husband will sit around in a T-shirt and pants with the heating cranked up. I've found the solution to getting him to put on extra layers though, I've transferred the direct debit for the gas bill to his account :D
    :T:T:T

that's GENIUS

shame I'm not married...

I've stopped taking stuff to the charity shop - well not until it's been listed on e bay. I had a new bathroom fitted recently and I sold my old shower curtain rings for 25p + P&P on there... at one time they would just have gone in the bin!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family