Great 'Embarrassing MoneySaving tips' Hunt

Comments

• I also re-usepadded envelopes,catalogue bags etc for ebay.I tell my buyers that I use recycled packaging and I've never had any complaints.If anything u can afford to use more packaging(as long as the weight itself doesnt change!!)
    I use the 'value' range teabags because I don't like strong tea and I find the likes of tetley etc too strong.My cheap teabags make up for the expensive Twinings Earl Grey my DH insists on!!lol!!
    I buy loads from charity shops and I have made my 9 year old daughter pj's by cutting up my unused fleece ones.I keep nice materials from clothes to make plushies/bags etc.
    I make a braw bacon+potato soup from the value bacon pieces from Tescos/aldi.You can get enough for 2 large pots of soup from it. You can use potaoes that are past their best for the recipe too.
    I pass my kids clothes on to my friend as her kids are smaller than mine and she passes her older daughters clothes down for mine.
    If anyone wants the soup recipe let me know and I will be happy to post it.xx:T
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    DianeWard

From one Diane to another, ooh please post the recipe! I love soup and love tattie soup so think i would love the bacon one too. Please please please x
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Don't know if its particularly embarrassing but it makes people laugh, I use plastic bags and clips for shower caps.

I have written cards in pencil so that they can be rubbed out and passed on. :beer:

I have given books/dvds that I have read/watched (but are still immaculate) as presents - only to family who have a sense of humour regarding my frugalness. :p
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    beedeedee wrote: »
    You could also make Tea Wine with the used teabags!

I've done this - it was pretty good too. The nicest batch as it was really dry.
  • Diane - would love to have the tea wine recipe, please!

Beedeedee, bacon & potato soup recipe, please!
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    flippin36 wrote: »
    Don't know if its particularly embarrassing but it makes people laugh, I use plastic bags and clips for shower caps.
    p

Lol! I once visited a friend's parent's house to find her dad with a Mother's Pride bag on his head while he was dying his hair!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Sorry - not a clue about bacon & potato soup - I was the Tea wine!!!

Crikey - it's ages since I made some, but I'll have a look and see if I can find my recipe - if not you should be able to google one.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    FatVonD wrote: »
    Lol! I once visited a friend's parent's house to find her dad with a Mother's Pride bag on his head while he was dying his hair!

I use a couple of bags on my feet when I pop my wells on. The reason being, I keep my wellies on the step as they are mucky when I've been out to the chickens. I am not keen on the idea of putting on wellies that may have creepy crawlies in so don't mind as much if my feet are covered in a bag!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Good to know about the conditioner but I'm still on the pre-used vinegar. Anyone used the value shampoo at the same price? I'm stocked up on shampoo right now but I was wondering for future needs. It's a very sweet price.

All our family use the value bottle of shampoo which comes in a litre bottle. Just the same results as an expensive shampoo: clean hair!
    I have only just posted a reply on another forum regarding cheap ways to clean clothes as I have also used the shampoo when, ahem, I have run out of laundry liquid!!!! I defy anyone to find a cheaper way to clean clothes. Works a treat too!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    oooh,i too would like the soup recipe please!
    G
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport