Great 'Embarrassing MoneySaving tips' Hunt

Comments

• This is being really mean but...

Barclays have envelopes for paying in cash, cheques etc at the Quick Pay points inside the branches. Big stacks of envelopes out with the slips.

OK, there is Barclays writing all over them so you can't use them actually as postage envelopes.I need them anyway for work so have to keep a few here, but as well as paying in to the bank they also get used for all sorts of things when we need an envelope but it isn't going to be posted.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • jumblejack wrote: »
    Does anyone else use their makeup in a 'break the rules' kinda way?

I only have one blusher so if I am wearing a lipstick which would clash, I simply use the same lippy applied to my cheeks as a cream blusher! Works really well and saves space in your makeup bag. I also use my highlighted eyeshadow (a pearly white) applied to the top of my lippy on the centre of the lower lip. Makes your lips appear fuller and more glossy. I use the same shade on the top of my 'cheekbones'.. Oh if only I had some for real!

It is a good idea if money is tight. Makeup is basically playing with colour. We are a little too brainwashed by the adverts really. Experiment and let us know how you go on.

Anyone else got any embarrassing confessions along the cosmetic line?

Oh, just thought... I used to work with someone who used talc as a 'dry' shampoo when time was short!

I do the talc sometimes too, usually when I'm three minutes from leaving the house and have just looked in the mirror :eek: The key is to use it sparingly ;)

When I was a teenager Just Seventeen magazine had an article on how to do a whole face of makeup for under a fiver, under a tenner and under £20. The under-a-fiver one used face powder and pinkish eyeshadow, then mixed the eyeshadow with Vaseline for blusher and lipgloss, then Vaseline for mascara.
    I've since seen a similar thing in Cosmo/ Vogue using Elizabeth Arden 8hour Cream instead of the Vaseline.

Pearly white eyeshadow on the inner corners of your eyes makes you look more awake.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I went into Savers once and they had a grape hair conditioner reduced to 17p! I wish I'd bought loads of them now...
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • lauren_1 wrote: »
    I have to try this! (Either shampoo or bubble bath) Could it be cheaper than gloop though?

It could be a close thing. I made 10 litres of gloop using a bar of Fairy household soap which cost nearly a quid plus the soda crystals and borax which I think brought the whole lot to less than two quid. I'm sure you could make it with Asda's cheapy 20p soap but I had Fairy in the house any way.
  • Willow92
    Forumite
    Have we run out of embarrassing tips now?
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ......Not yet Willow :o

I like to have a box of tissues on my desk at work but can't afford to buy the fancy ones all the time so I bought 2 boxes of the really nice ones (fancy cube box and brand begins with a K) when they were on offer. Once the box was finished I used a fillet knife to slice open the glue on the side flaps and folded value tissues and put them in. I keep one at home pre-prepared so when the one at work is done i bring home the box and swap it for the other then fill the empty one. I reseal the side flaps with a little bit of blue tack that can be continually reused.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • lauren_1
    lauren_1 Posts: 2,067
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    DS's 'long johns' consist of black wooly girls tights and DD's old ones with the feet cut off.
  • Willow92
    Forumite
    unixgirluk wrote: »

I like to have a box of tissues on my desk at work but can't afford to buy the fancy ones all the time so I bought 2 boxes of the really nice ones (fancy cube box and brand begins with a K) when they were on offer. Once the box was finished I used a fillet knife to slice open the glue on the side flaps and folded value tissues and put them in. I keep one at home pre-prepared so when the one at work is done i bring home the box and swap it for the other then fill the empty one. I reseal the side flaps with a little bit of blue tack that can be continually reused.

Might try that sometime...
  • lilac_rainbow
    lilac_rainbow Posts: 2,211 Forumite
    I have never really considered myself to be on OSMS'er but there are so many things on this thread I do as a matter of course - not necessarily to save money, but to minimise waste :) I ALWAYS re-use packaging and gift bags, when I ebay larger items i cut open a black bin liner to use. I tried wrapping paper too but was never very good at storing it and it looked too tatty. Cards often become gift tags. I don't have a compost bin, gardening really isn't for me, but I'm going to get one just so I don't have to out veggie peelings in the normal bin :)
  • Willow92
    Forumite
    When I take things to charity I always ask if I can have the bag back...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure