Great 'Embarrassing MoneySaving tips' Hunt

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have never really considered myself to be on OSMS'er but there are so many things on this thread I do as a matter of course - not necessarily to save money, but to minimise waste :) I ALWAYS re-use packaging and gift bags, when I ebay larger items i cut open a black bin liner to use. I tried wrapping paper too but was never very good at storing it and it looked too tatty. Cards often become gift tags. I don't have a compost bin, gardening really isn't for me, but I'm going to get one just so I don't have to out veggie peelings in the normal bin :)
    :D Can share a neat trick for storing wrapping paper so it doesn't get tatty (I stole it from somewhere or other); put the roll down the leg of a pair of tights. It'll protect it from tearing or getting crumpled if you hang the tights up somewhere (wardrobe?). Of course, they'll be laddered tights from the bagful which you've saved to stuff those soft toys you're going to make....:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D Can share a neat trick for storing wrapping paper so it doesn't get tatty (I stole it from somewhere or other); put the roll down the leg of a pair of tights. It'll protect it from tearing or getting crumpled if you hang the tights up somewhere (wardrobe?). Of course, they'll be laddered tights from the bagful which you've saved to stuff those soft toys you're going to make....:rotfl:

Brilliant!! I'm pinching this idea, thanks.
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Willow92 wrote: »
    When I take things to charity I always ask if I can have the bag back...

I don't ask;I empty out the bag myself onto the counter and take it back.Mind you,I always use the sturdy,mesh,recycleable bags,which cost me a few pennies anyway.
    People quite often leave stuff out at the rubbish bins in these bags.If the bag is clean,I will often empty it out,and take the bag (or the contents,depending on what it is...).
  • My OH has just messed up a really expensive birthday card, by starting to write in it and then changing his mind about sending it! ( yes I know I shouldnt have bought a really expensive anything in the first place ) but Im still going to send it to someone else, ( who wont mind the tipex and will find it funny )

Aren't those of you who are confessing about duping their OH's and children worried that they now will be 'outed' after all hopefully we have instilled some of our MSE knowlge into them ( some may call it brain washing or nagging.......) : )
  • I save up my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins which I know isn't embarassing but what is embarassing is taking them to be changed up and one of the bags splitting, ditching the coins all over the floor with me on my hands and kness frantically chasing them about :D

Had £25 though, so paid for my food shopping (once I'd got them all off the floor!!)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    vesper wrote: »
    My mate uses value washing up liquid to wash his hair, I can't say I do that now but can remember having my hair washed in it as a kid. .

I use washing-up liquid to wash my hair if I'm going somewhere special, it works in the same way as those expensive shampoos that strip the build up of product from your hair. It's probably too harsh to use on a regular basis hence why I save it for special occasions! :D
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I use washing-up liquid to wash my hair if I'm going somewhere special, it works in the same way as those expensive shampoos that strip the build up of product from your hair. It's probably too harsh to use on a regular basis hence why I save it for special occasions! :D

Isn't your hair too "fly-i" afterwards? If you know what I mean? frizzy might be better word?
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944
    Forumite
    I don't ask;I empty out the bag myself onto the counter and take it back.Mind you,I always use the sturdy,mesh,recycleable bags,which cost me a few pennies anyway.
    People quite often leave stuff out at the rubbish bins in these bags.If the bag is clean,I will often empty it out,and take the bag (or the contents,depending on what it is...).

I usually take it in in bags I got when shopping! ie paper bag from Primark for example or something.
    Not good for doing food shopping really, so I can then leave them behind.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Any wrote: »
    Isn't your hair too "fly-i" afterwards? If you know what I mean? frizzy might be better word?

I use conditioner on the ends but that's what I like about it! It looks thicker and feels really clean (it gets that 'squeaky' sound after you've washed it?)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186
    Forumite
    Not too sure about the washing up liquid thing! Can you imagine the looks you'd get taking Fairy into the bathroom?
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure