Great 'Embarrassing MoneySaving tips' Hunt

Comments

• PinkTiger
    PinkTiger Posts: 288
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I always use washing up liquid to wash my hair before I dye it, to make sure my hair is free from any products which might prevent the dye from 'taking'.
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If like me, you use a razor with razor blade to perform your ablutions it is worth taking a blunt blade with you when shopping for more to check the size and the expense of opening a packet and finding they don't fit. By doing this I was able to buy Wilko OB 10 blades for 98p rather than the Wilkinson Sword ones for £6.09 which I thought I'd have to get.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    I decidedc to use the breadmaker for the first time in about 6 months. Found some flour, dried milk and yeast in the cupboard and measured VERY carefully as it was ages since I had made it. I usually use the machine till the second rise stage and then make rolls as we find them easier to use. This time I did it all in the machine. The results were......

Amusing to say the least. The flour hadn't mixed properly and when the loaf was turned out it was hollow with no upper crust.

On checking the dates I found the yeast was 12 months out of date and the flour was probably the same vintage.

I am aboout to repeat the process with fresh flour and yeast. Wish me luck and I hope the machine mixes properly this time or else I am sunk (like the bread!!)
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    exlibris wrote: »
    I decidedc to use the breadmaker for the first time in about 6 months. Found some flour, dried milk and yeast in the cupboard and measured VERY carefully as it was ages since I had made it. I usually use the machine till the second rise stage and then make rolls as we find them easier to use. This time I did it all in the machine. The results were......

Amusing to say the least. The flour hadn't mixed properly and when the loaf was turned out it was hollow with no upper crust.

On checking the dates I found the yeast was 12 months out of date and the flour was probably the same vintage.

I am aboout to repeat the process with fresh flour and yeast. Wish me luck and I hope the machine mixes properly this time or else I am sunk (like the bread!!)

I did the same last week. Only my yeast was only 3 days out of date. Disaster. You could kill someone with the final result if you whacked them over the head with it!!

Tried again last night and didn't probably measure the yeast properly... and the dough nearly opened the machine's lid how it was rising!:rotfl: My OH said no wonder you bought so much new flour (I had internet delivery of heavy stuff), you will need it all before you make some bread!!:rotfl:

However this one was good, it just had weird shape.. looks like a mushroom...
  • lauren_1
    lauren_1 Posts: 2,067
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have been using the tesco value '22pcheaperthangloop' stuff on my ds's nappies all week.

I am impressed.
  • I save up my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins which I know isn't embarassing but what is embarassing is taking them to be changed up and one of the bags splitting, ditching the coins all over the floor with me on my hands and kness frantically chasing them about :D

Had £25 though, so paid for my food shopping (once I'd got them all off the floor!!)

i save all mine too! if you wait ages sometimes you have lots of money you've forgot about - don't put them in those machines you see in the supermarket tho cos i think they might charge you?
    i just take mine to the bank, they don't mind if they aren't too busy!

last christmas my old dad gave us our presents half an hour later than everyone else, having hastily reused the wrapping paper he had received only that morning from us. and the odd bit of gaffer tape! i think he thought we couldn't tell?

:rotfl:
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Any wrote: »
    I did the same last week. Only my yeast was only 3 days out of date. Disaster. You could kill someone with the final result if you whacked them over the head with it!!

Tried again last night and didn't probably measure the yeast properly... and the dough nearly opened the machine's lid how it was rising!:rotfl: My OH said no wonder you bought so much new flour (I had internet delivery of heavy stuff), you will need it all before you make some bread!!:rotfl:

However this one was good, it just had weird shape.. looks like a mushroom...

The mushroom shape can mean a few things:

-too much yeast/sugar/flour

-not enough salt

-kitchen too hot if hot weather or also using oven.

Better luck next time!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    lauren_1 wrote: »
    I have been using the tesco value '22pcheaperthangloop' stuff on my ds's nappies all week.

I am impressed.
    If you mean the tesco value powder I ruined some coloured stuff (jeans, dark tee shirts etc) that I'd washed with it and hung out on the line. All of the surfaces exposed to sunlight were bleached:eek:
    Maybe it's just good for whites? I can't actually blame the powder but I hadn't changed anything else so thought that I'd add a note of caution... And yes I did hang them inside out!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Willow92
    Willow92 Posts: 2,186
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i save all mine too! if you wait ages sometimes you have lots of money you've forgot about - don't put them in those machines you see in the supermarket tho cos i think they might charge you?
    i just take mine to the bank, they don't mind if they aren't too busy!

I think they take about 7% of what you put in, mum uses them.
    Savings £8,865.22 £/15,000 Aiming to save enough for a house deposit.
  • lauren_1
    lauren_1 Posts: 2,067
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 23 March 2011 at 9:46AM
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    If you mean the tesco value powder I ruined some coloured stuff (jeans, dark tee shirts etc) that I'd washed with it and hung out on the line. All of the surfaces exposed to sunlight were bleached:eek:
    Maybe it's just good for whites? I can't actually blame the powder but I hadn't changed anything else so thought that I'd add a note of caution... And yes I did hang them inside out!

Nope it's not the powder.

Its a litre bottle of their value shampoo (sainsburys do a great one too) 22p per bottle, smells of oranges slightly, fantastic on my cotton, bamboo and hemp nappies as they are natural fibres.

My ds produced an atomic nappy yesterday and everything was shifted even though the nappy was dry pailed for 12 hours before washing, I just wish I heard this tip years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure