Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Charging rent for 21 year old - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Charging rent for 21 year old

234 replies 124.7K views

Replies

• xzibitxzibit Forumite
    528 posts
    I have paid rent since I was 16 and started work. I'm 23 at the moment, and still at home because can't quite afford a house, and am wanting to emigrate anyway, so will probably stay and save up until visa is issued.
    I take home just over £1200 a month, and pay £100 rent. I think this is a good rate, but also it allows me to save £600 a month, which will give me a much better chance of buying a house in this country or another!! If I was paying £300 - £400 a month rent, it would be longer until I could afford to move out. I know £300 would still be cheaper than what I would have to ay if I moved out now and rented, but come on, you've gotta give your offspring a chance in life!!
  • robnyerobnye Forumite
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bikerqueen wrote:
    why bother with the allowance if you're going to take it back off her? just cut the allowance?

the allowance is only small £25, some goes into a savings account, some pays for half of the cost of her contact lenses, the remainder goes into her bank account.

i was really just trying to gauge at what age people started paying a contribution.

work hours will only be one day at the weekend.

i fully support the charge 1/3..... and if i dont need it, put it into savings for her
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • ShawzShawz Forumite
    1.1K posts
    When I lived at home I had to pay my parents a third of my take home salary. This included cooking, cleaning, bills except Phone which I paid seperately.

I have to admit I'm really pleased they did, as it got me ready for the real world when I moved out.
    Looking to raise some money ;)
  • lineyliney Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would not charge a child in full time education board whether they are working or not. Neither would i charge a child doing a YTS, as i would rather they finished their training, and got a good job, then quit to earn more money immediatley doing manual work just because i was taking a chunk of their small wage.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • I wish my parents had thought like this when I lived at home.

We were never charged for anything, although they aren't very well off.

I moved out aged 17 and although I have worked ever since at jobs and uni, I have had a lax attitude to money which I've only sorted out within the last three or so years, now aged 28.

My little sister, 21, is still at home, refuses to pay board because "we never did and why should she pay to live in her own house?".

My mam has just bought her a car to drive to uni, and she still refuses to get a job, claiming it would be too stressful, even over the summer hols, when she bums money off my skint parents to go travelling.

I work two jobs, 60 hours a week to pay off my debts and it really annoys me to see her sponging off my mam and dad.

My younger brother earns in excess of £100k a year, but doesn't help my parents out at all. He doesn't live at home admittedly, but with his income I think he could put a little their way, as mam is retired and dad has a seasonal job only.

Again I think this is because of what he learnt about money when growing up.

Good on everyone who asks their kids for money, it will defs set them on the right track for the future.
    DEBT FREE! Sep '08/£9,800 in Oct '06 :beer:
  • robnyerobnye Forumite
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    perhaps the other option as mentioned is to reduce or stop the allowance, then she will be supporting herself with minor assitance from us!
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as I started work at the age of 17 I contributed 1/3 of my wage to my parents. I think anything less just isn't enough and of course what I gave went up with any wage increase. It was very welcome money and was used to pay for normal household expenses. It gives you good habits for when you have to budget for yourself.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Im 21 and i pay £100 rent a month, and that includes doing my washing ironing. Food etc. Im going travelling for 6 months in 2 weeks and dads said i casn stop my rent for this period which is a great help.

if m+d wanted more money i would give it. no probs at all. £130.00 isnt much at all really.
    x
  • As soon as I had a full time job when living at home (which was basically the week after I finished uni) I started paying £150 pcm to my parents for housekeeping. I would say that my take home pay was about £600-700 (this was back in 1995).
    I thought that was a reasonable amount to pay. At the time I believed (and still do actually) that the people who did not pay their parents for housekeeping once they were in full time employment were rude and/or had suckers for parents.
    My parents weren't well off, but they weren't on the bread-line either. This money helped them with a few of the luxuries in life and it was a darn sight cheaper than getting a place of my own straight off.
    Mind you, I only lasted a year living back with the parents before I had to get out on my own!!!
    The old adage still rings true - 1/3 to live, 1/3 to spend and 1/3 to save.
    I wish I could save that much now though - as a SAHM with two under 3s hanging round my feet!!!:D

Helen
    x
  • AddiscomberAddiscomber Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    littlewren wrote:
    On a slightly different note, how much should I expect my 23 yr old daughter to pay towards Council Tax per month?

I didn't know how much to ask for her contribution towards the Council Tax, hence my figure of £40 out of the £152.

I am on my own, unable to work because of long term illness, but I do receive maintenance from my ex.
    If you were living on your own you would get a reduction in Council tax. As yur daughter is living with you presumably you have to pay full whack? That is a direct expense due to her living with you. I would ask her to pay whatever the difference is between the two amounts - it will undoubtedly be less than she would have to pay if she were to move out.