Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Charging rent for 21 year old - Page 24

New Post Advanced Search

Charging rent for 21 year old

234 replies 124.6K views
1181920212224»

Replies

• silvercar wrote: »
    Full funding is lower for someone living at home, than the same funding would be for the same circumstances for someone living away, reflecting that it should be cheaper to live at home.

Cheaper, not free.
  • just_tryingjust_trying Forumite
    997 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    silvercar wrote: »
    Full funding is lower for someone living at home, than the same funding would be for the same circumstances for someone living away, reflecting that it should be cheaper to live at home.

What she gets is based on a salary, she wouldn't get anymore if living in halls as far as I'm aware, we're in Scotland.

It's significantly cheaper, her staying here. She makes a contribution, which was agreed at the start of September. She has plenty of funding left, plus her wages. She's not a poor student.
  • stormbreakerstormbreaker Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvercar wrote: »
    I couldn't take money off my children, unless I needed it.

If they are earning adults how are they to learn the cost of living?

I have two sons who worked from the age of 14. We never took any money of them but never needed to give them pocket money either.

Both were told that when they left school and started working full time, we said, a third to us, a third to save and a third to spend.

My eldest moved out to uni at 17. We funded his rent and bills. He continued to work part time and funded his food and social life.

My youngest got an apprenticeship at 17. He stayed at home and gave us a third every month without question.

Last December he decided he was in a position to try and get a mortgage. At this time we told him that the money he had been giving us as rent, had been set aside in a different account and was his to put towards his deposit.

We are very fortunate that we could afford to do what we have done for our sons. Not everyone is in the same position. But just because we are doesn't mean they should get a free ride.
  • Although, it is truly harder to get onto the property ladder and young adults are staying at home for longer. It does not mean they can live with their parents cheaply. They need to know the reality. If your parent is paying rent in the private sector and are not home owners, the young person needs to pay half the rent and contribute towards bills.
    Many parents can not wait for their children to leave home. By charging them 120 a month is crazy! I wish I could live with my mum and not pay bills.
    Get them to pay you the same as if they were sharing with a mate!