We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Options

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's the code in operation at the end of the tax year as used by your employer on your last payday.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    am currently on a K code, but I have looked at my P60 codes, P11D returns and my tax free allowance and think I have overpaid to the tune of £700!!

I don't wish to spoil any expectations ....... but do bear in mind that you have (K code) negative allowances. So need to add that negative back, in full (K100 = £1000), onto your taxable pay before doing the calculation.

This calculator will do it for you - but (it says it's optional) you have to put the Code in as 'Knnn'. Otherwise it will default to £6475. Make sure you get the right year from the drop down.

http://www.listentotaxman.com/
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • mcgwin
    mcgwin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update to let you know that the tax office have realised their mistake and have changed my tax code for this year. It's now a respectable 747L which sounds much better. Still waiting for them to reimburse me for the extra tax taken from me. Hope they don't expect me to wait until April 2012 to get a rebate!! Shall write to them again this weekend.
    Thanks to MIKEYORKS and JEM16 for giving me a push in the right direction.
  • johncolescarr
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    I don't wish to spoil any expectations ....... but do bear in mind that you have (K code) negative allowances. So need to add that negative back, in full (K100 = £1000), onto your taxable pay before doing the calculation.

This calculator will do it for you - but (it says it's optional) you have to put the Code in as 'Knnn'. Otherwise it will default to £6475. Make sure you get the right year from the drop down.

http://www.listentotaxman.com/

Thanks for your reply, I did put in the "K" in the code. After going through my payslips and tax letters, for the year in question there is a new code issued in November and this is reflected in my payslips. I am going to try the calculation again as in my P800 HMRC always say they havent deducted my medical insurance benefit, but I know they have. This is small fry compared to company car but its still money they say I owe that I definitely know I don't! complicated part year calculations coming up for me I think!! I have found a handy website called listentotaxman that should make it a bit easier
    Mortgage £120K, monthly overpayment £600, 18 years and £100K saved
  • addyann
    Options
    Thank you! Dad was convinced he was underpaying his tax, despite local office confirming it was right. He was basing this on a tax code of 345P. He hadnt realised, or had it explained that the P meant his personal allowance was £9400, not the £3450 indicated by the code. By using the checker and the information on tax codes he's now very happy that he is paying the right amount!:j
  • elmoo2u
    elmoo2u Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone has had any experience in trying to claim overpaid tax from a "closed" year?

I have discovered that I have overpaid tax in 2004/05 tax year, I phoned HMRC who have confirmed this by advising it is a small overpayment and told me to write in to see if they would consider paying it even though that year is closed and no action is normally taken.
    I have done my letter ready to send but just wanted to know if my chances are good or not?
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elmoo2u wrote: »
    I have done my letter ready to send but just wanted to know if my chances are good or not?

I would have said your chances are non-existent. As 04-05 is now too late to claim. 05/06 is now the latest year to claim for. But if they've said 'write' then do so.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm#3

But you could hope, if negative, they pick you up whilst scanning old PAYE records :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/p800/paye-tax-calcs.htm (top 4 lines)

Seems a bit illogical, I agree, they can do it - but you can't claim it. But they're honouring a committment made to Parliament for refunds only.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • elmoo2u
    elmoo2u Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mikeyorks,
    info is interesting, although HMRC seem to be contradicting themselves when they say you can only claim from 2005/06 year and then say they are looking at years from 2003?!

So if they find the mistake your in luck but if you find it then not really got a chance in getting money back.

I have sent my letter away and explained my case and as to the reasons why I have missed my overpaying tax. Hopefully I will get it back, I think my overpayment if about £200.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    I tried that tack, following the death of my demented mother, not realising that the normal statute of limitations in Engalnd & Wales is 6 years but then was only 5 years and 10 months. The return that was a month "overdue" was simply ignored and the other 5 paid out.
    [The age allowance and (then) starting rate had not been correctly applied through PAYE].
  • roxy86_2
    roxy86_2 Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    can anyone help me with this tax stuff. just checking over some of my old p60s and payslips.

i havent actually been working since 2008 as i gave up work to become a stay at home mum.

Anyways i think most years seem to be in order. however what do you do if you have moved around to say 3 jobs in one tax year?

in tax year 2006-2007 i left one job in sept and m tax code was 503L when leaving, then went on to the second job where my code was again 503L then i was sacked from that job after 4 weeks (cold call selling and i was absoulte no good at it and hated it). I Then was jobless until the beginning of jan where i received a new code of 508L. That was because of flat rate job expenses of £45.

So which code do i use and how do I work out the tax i should have paid?

Thanks for any help in advance everyone
    :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family