How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've been given tax code BR.

Is this your only job or do you have another?

What tax code was on the P45 you gave the employer?
    I was under the impression you got a P60 for every different company/ job you have worked for in one year. I thought you were still mean to be sent a P60 at the end of the tax year and then a P45 once you left that company.

You are entitled to a P60 for any company that you are/were working for on 5th April (end of tax year). If you have more than one job you will be given a P60 for each - but you still have to be actually employed with them. As you said previous employers I assumed you had left that employer.
  • fulhamnonny
    fulhamnonny Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Is this your only job or do you have another?

What tax code was on the P45 you gave the employer?.

This is my only job and my previous tax code was 7-something-L.
    jem16 wrote: »
    You are entitled to a P60 for any company that you are/were working for on 5th April (end of tax year). If you have more than one job you will be given a P60 for each - but you still have to be actually employed with them. As you said previous employers I assumed you had left that employer.

I've only worked for 1 company at a time. Last year I changed jobs 4 times as I was contracting given it's been super hard to get a perm job. I was working for a company over the end of the last tax year and didn't get a P60.

From what you suggest I think I may need to look into all my employment over the past 3 years (3 years ago was the last time I was permently employed) and look at my tax coding and see if I've over or under paid tax and NI.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This is my only job and my previous tax code was 7-something-L.

As this is your only job you should not have BR as a tax code. I suggest you get onto HMRC and ask why.
    I've only worked for 1 company at a time. Last year I changed jobs 4 times as I was contracting given it's been super hard to get a perm job. I was working for a company over the end of the last tax year and didn't get a P60.

You should have received one by end of May, assuming you were still employed with them at 5th April.

Are you still with them or have you changed again? If you have left them what did your P45 say - I would assume it would only be details for this tax year so you would be missing any earnings from them for last tax year.
    From what you suggest I think I may need to look into all my employment over the past 3 years (3 years ago was the last time I was permently employed) and look at my tax coding and see if I've over or under paid tax and NI.

Probably would be a good idea.
  • daleos
    daleos Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    With great thanks to MSE, I have recently discovered that I am on the incorrect tax code, namely "BR / M1" which from what I have read, means I have been paying basic rate tax on everything I earn with no tax relief.
    I have informed my company payroll and my local tax office and they have made the amendments for the current year, however, previous years are still being investigated as when I checked my P60`s it came to light that I have been on this code since the tax year 5th April 2007.
    I have used the online calculator and it would appear I am due for a significant refund.

I had not received any tax coding notifications until January 2010 and it would appear that Revenue and customs had made a huge mistake and assumed I had two jobs none of which were my employer. On the same notification, they believed that I was between jobs, which was also incorrect. The tax code issued was "K1316". I contacted the tax office to advise them of the discrepancy and they then sent out an amended notification in Feb 2010 which was "647L" and I believed this to be correct. For what ever reason they failed to pass this on to my employer and I continued to be taxed at "BR / M1".

After contacting HMRC,I recently received a letter from the them requesting my help by sending them my P60`s for tax years 5th April 2006 to 2011 from the two employers for whom I have never worked. I have written back to them stating this and informing them that I have been employed by my current employer since 1997. I have also sent a letter of complaint for the way in which this is being handled to the complaints manager.

I have visited my local tax office on three separate occasions and telephoned them three times and I am still no closer to a resolution and have no answers.

My concern here is identity theft or fraud as it would appear the Revenue and customs have me mixed up with someone else.
    Could this affect my pension further down the road?
    Is there anything else I should be concerned with regarding my national insurance number?

Any help or advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 July 2011 at 9:22AM
    Options
    daleos wrote: »
    With great thanks to MSE, I have recently discovered that I am on the incorrect tax code, namely "BR / M1" which from what I have read, means I have been paying basic rate tax on everything I earn with no tax relief.
    I have informed my company payroll and my local tax office and they have made the amendments for the current year, however, previous years are still being investigated as when I checked my P60`s it came to light that I have been on this code since the tax year 5th April 2007.
    I have used the online calculator and it would appear I am due for a significant refund.

I had not received any tax coding notifications until January 2010 and it would appear that Revenue and customs had made a huge mistake and assumed I had two jobs none of which were my employer. On the same notification, they believed that I was between jobs, which was also incorrect. The tax code issued was "K1316". I contacted the tax office to advise them of the discrepancy and they then sent out an amended notification in Feb 2010 which was "647L" and I believed this to be correct. For what ever reason they failed to pass this on to my employer and I continued to be taxed at "BR / M1".

After contacting HMRC,I recently received a letter from the them requesting my help by sending them my P60`s for tax years 5th April 2006 to 2011 from the two employers for whom I have never worked. I have written back to them stating this and informing them that I have been employed by my current employer since 1997.I have also sent a letter of complaint for the way in which this is being handled to the complaints manager.

I have visited my local tax office on three separate occasions and telephoned them three times and I am still no closer to a resolution and have no answers.

My concern here is identity theft or fraud as it would appear the Revenue and customs have me mixed up with someone else.
    Could this affect my pension further down the road?
    Is there anything else I should be concerned with regarding my national insurance number?

Any help or advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, HMRC seem to be mixing things up more often these days. Also, it is not unusual for HMRC to take anything from several weeks up to 12 months or more to resolve these errors.

Check that your National Insurance number is correctly recorded on all your tax related paperwork, including : P60 and wage slips from your employer, on letters from HMRC, on P2 Coding Notice, etc.

If you have raised an official complaint with HMRC, then they should have given you a contact name of the complaint handler with their direct phone number. If not, then write another letter of complaint asking for a progress report and a direct phone number so that you can chase them regularly.

The state pension you will receive is based on your National Insurance contributions, to check that your National Insurance record is up to date, you can register online and request a forecast. This will also let you know if you have missing years for your NI contributions. If so you can phone to get the record corrected.
    Directgov pension forecast link

P.S.
    If you send any documents to HMRC or the State Pension people, take photocopies of everything.
  • daleos
    Options
    baa1 wrote: »
    unfortunately, hmrc seem to be mixing things up more often these days. Also, it is not unusual for hmrc to take anything from several weeks up to 12 months or more to resolve these errors.

That long ! Omg.

Check that your national insurance number is correctly recorded on all your tax related paperwork, including : P60 and wage slips from your employer, on letters from hmrc, on p2 coding notice, etc.

I have double checked and all relevant paperwork has the correct ni number on it.

If you have raised an official complaint with hmrc, then they should have given you a contact name of the complaint handler with their direct phone number. If not, then write another letter of complaint asking for a progress report and a direct phone number so that you can chase them regularly.

As yet, i have not received a response to my complaint and have therefore not been given details of a complaint handler. I have however, contactted my local m p rearding this matter and asked him if he could do some shaking at the top. I will take your advise and as soon as i am assigned a complaint handler i will be on their case.

The state pension you will receive is based on your national insurance contributions, to check that your national insurance record is up to date, you can register online and request a forecast. This will also let you know if you have missing years for your ni contributions. If so you can phone to get the record corrected.

p.s.
    If you send any documents to hmrc or the state pension people, take photocopies of everything.

thankyou so much for your help
  • daleos
    Options
    Can someone offer me some help again please, I received a significant tax rebate from the HMRC yesterday and they failed to apply the interest owed to me. I am looking for help from a mathematical genius to tell me what I am owed.
    There is an interest rate table on the HMRC web site and I cannot beging to get my head around it and how its applied.
    The rebate was as follows

Tax Year amount
    2010-11 £ 1293.20
    2009-10 £ 1293.40
    2008-9 £ 1206.00
    2007-8 £ 1415.08
    2006-7 £ 1364.06

Please let me know if you need more info.

thanks again

24/03/090%27/01/090%6/01/090.75%6/12/081.5%6/11/082.25%6/01/083.0%6/08/074.0%6/09/06 3.0%6/9/05 2.25% 24/03/090%27/01/090%6/01/090.75%6/12/081.5%6/11/082.25%6/01/083.0%6/08/074.0%6/09/06 3.0%6/9/05 2.25%
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 August 2011 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Did you receive a P800 or similar tax calculation sheet for each of those tax years ?

The calculation on a P800 should show how much taxable income you received and how much tax was actually deducted under PAYE in each tax year.
    It should then show your tax allowances and how much tax was due.

Then it should show the difference between the tax you paid and the tax that was due so that you can see how much was owed.

If any interest was added, that should be shown too.
    If no interest is shown, then either none was payable, or they have forgotten to add it.

So, if you think they have forgotten to include interest, then you would need to speak to HMRC to ask why.

Note, the interest rate has varied over the years and was based on the bank base rate at the time.

HMRC Interest Rates for repayments pre 05/04/09 :
    [FONT=Courier New]Income Tax (from 1/10/99)
     From     %
    24/03/09  0%
    27/01/09  0%
    6/01/09   0.75%
    6/12/08   1.5%
    6/11/08   2.25%
    6/01/08   3.0%
    6/08/07   4.0%
    6/09/06   3.0%
    6/9/05    2.25%
    6/9/04    3.0%
    6/12/03   2.25%
    6/8/03    1.5%
    6/11/01   2.25%
    6/5/01    3.0%
    6/2/00    4.0%[/FONT]

• daleos
    Options
    Thanks for your help again, I can confirm that I got the P800`s through the post yesterday and have mastered the calcultions now.
    The HMRC did indeed pay me interest, what they haven`t done is got my earnings for the year 2009-10 correct, (so please, all of you check and double check) despite supplying them with my P60`S. This was the reason for not being able to draw the same conclusion as they did. After re-calculating they owe me another £82. I have written off today requesting it.

thanks
  • naked
    naked Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    I'm getting £800 back from HMRC (although not due to the tax code checker in this case).

From my experience, the people in the HMRC call centres are incredibly helpful, but unfortunately the actual processing of things brings it all down:
    HMRC will lose things that you send them - so always keep a copy. If you've not heard anything from them after a few weeks, phone up the call centre and if it's over a certain amount of time they will get someone to ring you back.
    Phone them up to check that your address is up to date. I moved house and changed my address online. Although my new address was on HMRCs system, they were still going to post things to my old address.
    If you're employed, you will probably get your refund via an increased tax code. Therefore they need to know who your employer is so they can send them a copy of the new tax code.

After having to re write the letter I sent them (I didn't keep a copy) and hand delivering it to the local enquiry office who were dealing with it, I received a new tax code within 3-4 weeks ;D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback