How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Options

Comments

• eileenfyfe
    Options
    OK this may not be the forum, but I do need people to be aware that which my grandfather went through (now sadly deceased). ONE HOPES THAT THE RELEVANT AGANCY HAS MOVED ON, DON'T KNOW WHICH WAS RESPONSIBLE COS THIS WAS BACK IN THE 80'S AND SO MANY RE-ORGANISATIONS HAVE HAPPENED SINCE THEN.

BUT A CAUTIONARY TALE

My Grandfather, a self-employed Homeopath and Health Food Shop propiertor. It has to be said he did earn big bucks, but had an honesty and integrity I could not fault, even as a budding scientist at the time, I could not agree with his methodology.

Grandad faithfully returned information about his income as a self-employed person and shop proprietor every year as required by HMRC.

One year HMRC sent him a cheque for £3768 rebate. He checked his records, found that he could not reconcile to their figures. So he got in touch with them (a difficult proposition in those days cos they would not give you their names) and told them they got it wrong.

They were adamant, the money was his. He did not do like others (and I would have done) in this situation, he hived the money into a high interest savings account (remember them?). But he spent the next year writing saying they were wrong, they kept saying "no they were right".

Fortunately he kept all the correspondence, because 3 years later they came back at him and told him he shouldn't have received the rebate and he had to pay it back plus interest at 5% above the current interest rate.

After a 2 year (I think) battle, they admitted that he had told them that they had got it wrong and he had told him, so (and this is what so gets me) that they'd write off the capital payment but he owed him the interest!

Needless to say he disputed this, a problematical approach as they had the right to take him to court to claim the interest and if he lost he would have to pay their costs. Fortunately my grandfather's fortitude and some sensible legal bod at HMRC stopped the case coming to court and my grandfather did not have to pay the interest or costs.

But ask your self how many of you would question a tax rebate you thought was wrong? We'd all go 'Whay-aye cash'!.

And after reading Private Eye recentley, then if you are a multi-millionare you can ignore, if you are a small business or self employed the DONT, unless you are want to go through what Douglas W Craig, Homeopath, Dundee did (sorry nothing on web about, just famly memories)
  • sarahjane1982
    Options
    I think i am entitled to a rebate what number do i call i can't seem to find one !!:embarasse

sarah
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2011 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Why do we still have tax 'codes'? I really mean it, why are we still pushing around bits of nonsense like this (invented in WWII, so that's a pretty good reason for questioning their use)? Everyone gets essentially the same personal allowance these days - rising to 10K by 2015. Oh, and the 'cumulative' system we use is only in use in one other country I'm aware - the Irish Republic (presumably as a 'legacy' of our five hundred year occupation of the place) - but everywhere else in the world PAYE systems are 'non-culmulative' - so you go and start a job and the employer knows to allow 1/52nd per week of that allowance which everyone now gets, and you can't actually end up that far from the correct position. In addition it's so easy to administer. That's it! Simple, isn't it? Adjustments are made by the tax office (not the employer) at the end of the year in the manner of refunds.

The answer to my rhetorical question is simple: history - we can't just 'up sticks' and change to a better system when one can be shown to exist - that kind doing things differently is unBritish.

Next up in this series: "Why does out road system look like it was designed by Romans?"
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • kid
    kid Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I am always weary of challenging anything like this incase I come out worse off. But, according to the tax checker, it says there is a difference of £1.005 which would be very nice!

I have my March payslip and my annual salary was £13,565 and my tax code is 647L, I am under 60 and have no other jobs.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Afrika Afrika tickets (x6)
    Silverstone tickets (x4)
    £5 voucher from Daz
    Bargains galore on Tesco.com
    :T :T :T
  • angelfire
    angelfire Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm finding this all very confusing, the checker has said there's a discrepancy but I don't see how? My earnings according to my P60 from 2010/11 were £22,167.63 and my total tax deducted was £3137.60 and it states tax code 647L - is this correct? I am under 60, with one job only, I pay into our pension scheme (local authority employed) and I have the childcare vouchers if any of this makes a difference..?

thanks in advance!
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Milarky wrote: »
    Why do we still have tax 'codes'? I really mean it, why are we still pushing around bits of nonsense like this (invented in WWII, so that's a pretty good reason for questioning their use)? Everyone gets essentially the same personal allowance these days - rising to 10K by 2015. Oh, and the 'cumulative' system we use is only in use in one other country I'm aware - the Irish Republic (presumably as a 'legacy' of our five hundred year occupation of the place) - but everywhere else in the world PAYE systems are 'non-culmulative' - so you go and start a job and the employer knows to allow 1/52nd per week of that allowance which everyone now gets, and you can't actually end up that far from the correct position. In addition it's so easy to administer. That's it! Simple, isn't it? Adjustments are made by the tax office (not the employer) at the end of the year in the manner of refunds.

The answer to my rhetorical question is simple: history - we can't just 'up sticks' and change to a better system when one can be shown to exist - that kind doing things differently is unBritish.

Next up in this series: "Why does out road system look like it was designed by Romans?"

Before the Romans came to Rye or out the Severn strode the rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.

If you find a straight road, especially with cherry trees in the hedges, then the odds are that the Romans built it. Roman roads were the Email system of the Empire. They were built for administration and military security more than the transport of goods.
    Britain's first effective method of moving goods was called a canals.

On your second point about PAYE - so you really want to invest at least a day of your life each year doing an on-line tax return, like self employed people have to? [It is quite a good idea really because it would force all citizens to keep records and reconcile them at least once a year - I have a nasty feeling that as Britain now has the world's most complex tax code that is what is going to happen - start saving up for the fees to pay your compulsory accountant?]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_English_Road

OK some people say the Indian tax code is worse, but did we teach them all they know?
  • fulhamnonny
    fulhamnonny Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I have a couple of questions...

I have been asked by HMRC to send them my P60 for the 2009/10 tax year because of an investigation into my student loan payments. I'm worried about sending the actual form through. Is this normal for them to ask for the original?

Also on P60's how do I go about obtaining them from previous employers. I changed jobs quite a few times during the 10/11 tax year.

One last thing.. I have just started a new job and before I had my first salary, I gave the HR department my P45 and I filled in a P46 just incase I didn't get my P45 in time. I've now been sent a letter from HMRC saying what my tax code is, but I think it's wrong given how much I've earnt already in the current tax year and what my new salary is. What shall I do for my next steps.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

I have a couple of questions...

I have been asked by HMRC to send them my P60 for the 2009/10 tax year because of an investigation into my student loan payments. I'm worried about sending the actual form through. Is this normal for them to ask for the original?

Yes they always ask for originals. Take a photocopy of it before sending.
    Also on P60's how do I go about obtaining them from previous employers. I changed jobs quite a few times during the 10/11 tax year.

You don't. You only get a P60 from the company that you are currently employed with. All other employers should have given you a P45 when you left so you need to send any of those too.
    One last thing.. I have just started a new job and before I had my first salary, I gave the HR department my P45 and I filled in a P46 just incase I didn't get my P45 in time. I've now been sent a letter from HMRC saying what my tax code is, but I think it's wrong given how much I've earnt already in the current tax year and what my new salary is. What shall I do for my next steps.

Your tax code is not based on your current earnings. It's based on your personal allowance. If you have no benefits in kind from your employer the standard tax code is 747L.

What tax code have you been given?
  • fulhamnonny
    Options
    Your tax code is not based on your current earnings. It's based on your personal allowance. If you have no benefits in kind from your employer the standard tax code is 747L.

What tax code have you been given?[/QUOTE]

I've been given tax code BR.

Thanks for your advice so far.
  • fulhamnonny
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    You don't. You only get a P60 from the company that you are currently employed with. All other employers should have given you a P45 when you left so you need to send any of those too.

I was under the impression you got a P60 for every different company/ job you have worked for in one year. I thought you were still mean to be sent a P60 at the end of the tax year and then a P45 once you left that company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback