How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Options

Comments

• FabuLass
    FabuLass Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband has been in a new job for 7 weeks....he does earn more money now, but his code is the same as in his previous job, checker shows a difference of £1045 is that in our favour or not??
    Can anyone help? Thanks Fiona x
    You'll make my day if I know I've been helpful to you in some small way,
    so please press my :T thanks :Tbutton x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FeeFeeDee wrote: »
    My husband has been in a new job for 7 weeks....he does earn more money now, but his code is the same as in his previous job, checker shows a difference of £1045 is that in our favour or not??
    Can anyone help? Thanks Fiona x

The amount you earn doesn't directly impact on the tax code applied. (Except for age related allowances for over 65s)

What tax code is he on and for which tax year ?
  • FabuLass
    FabuLass Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    643L 2011/2012 hes under 60 earning £27,462 and it gives a difference of £1045.
    You'll make my day if I know I've been helpful to you in some small way,
    so please press my :T thanks :Tbutton x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FeeFeeDee wrote: »
    643L 2011/2012 hes under 60 earning £27,462 and it gives a difference of £1045.

Code 643L means that the first £6435 of his income is tax free.

The normal tax code for 2011-12 is 747L which would allow for £7475 of tax free income.
    So, that is not in his favour.

Has he received a P2 Coding Notice from HMRC which explains why he is going to be on code 643L in the new tax year starting on 6 April 2011 ?

If not got a P2 letter, then contact HMRC and ask for an explanation for this code and for a copy of his P2 Coding Notice.

Some reasons why his code may have been set at 643L include :
    Below are some typical reasons why this may be the case (there are others)...
    • You are also receiving a state or private pension
    • You have a company car
    • You get other benefits (eg, medical insurance)
    • You own a buy to let property
    • This is a tax code for a 2nd (or 3rd etc) job
  • pricey85
    pricey85 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Quick question about HMRC's call centre. I sent a request for them to check my tax for previous years along with some statements of earnings that I was told they would need. This was about six weeks ago and I've heard nothing. The call centre previously told me that 6 weeks is the average turn over for this kind of thing, If I were to call them up again would they be able to tell me if any letters had been received or if a rebate was in process or is that something I have to chase my registered tax office about?

I only ask because I know there is a limit on what they can legally tell me and I don't fancy spending half hour on hold if I'm flogging a dead horse.
  • Xiphias
    Xiphias Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MSE's
    I contacted the Tax Office on 18th Feb 2011 as my tax code was very wrong (and found out that it has been since 2003!!). They have since updated my tax code for this year 2010/2011, but they wrote to me asking me to prove that I do not receive Incapacity Benefit (which is why my tax code is wrong). I contacted the DWP who were very helpful and sent a letter confirming this. I sent this to the Tax Office (Cardiff, Ty Glas) who received it on 29th March 2011, but as of today (19th April), they have not opened the post for that day and do not intend to do so until 29th April.
    I'm not happy with the service received and spoke to a manager who said there was nothing they would do, and even got put through to a complaints department who took the details of the issue and would pass it back, but also said they could/would do nothing to escalate my case.
    Does anyone out know how to escalate a case or is this the norm for the tax office?

Regards
    Xiphias
  • tazzababe
    tazzababe Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    So I checked my code for 201/2011 and it seems okay.
    I know very little about tax and am unsure if I have actually paid the correct amount. :o

I started my job in September of last year. On my P60 it says pay from employment £11190.00 and tax deducted £1481.00. My tax code is 647L

Can anyone tell me how to work out if I have paid the correct amount for 8 months work?

• John_Pierpoint
    Options
    The tax year starts on 6th of April and ends on the 5th of April.
    [It is all based on the Angel Gabriel having his way with the virgin Mary on the 25th of March - but that is another story]
    I calculate September to March inclusive as 7 months?

What were you doing for the other 5 months of last year?
  • tazzababe
    tazzababe Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    The tax year starts on 6th of April and ends on the 5th of April.
    [It is all based on the Angel Gabriel having his way with the virgin Mary on the 25th of March - but that is another story]
    I calculate September to March inclusive as 7 months?

What were you doing for the other 5 months of last year?

I was a student (Postgrad) and unemployed
  • dithedancer
    dithedancer Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    would my son get a tax rebate, he started an apprenticeship last august he pays normal tax and as a normal tax code. I remember when i first started work my mum made me fill in a tax rebate form, its a long time ago and i know that this cannot be done now, so what happens and how would he go about it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback