MSE Parents Club Part 15

Options

Comments

• DancerSupreme
    Options
    :grouphug:Thank you guys
    Debt August 2009 - £30,525.50
    Debt Paid February 2011

Another one popped out of the woodwork...time to work hard again!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a great deal of sympathy with you :grouphug:. Keep persisting, if you give love you will get love too, and remember you have got the rest of your life to love this little one! A couple of techniques that work:
    • Do make the time to play with your baby and heap him with praise when he is being good, with hugs and kisses as a reward (especially when you don't feel like it).
    • I wouldn't normally recommend sleeping in the same bed as a toddler as this can introduce attachment issues but you may find a dose of this to be benficial.
    • esmf73 wrote: »
      Be firm with him as I'm sure you are - tell him that hitting / kicking is not allowed and hold his legs when you change his nappy etc.
      Good practical advice, that your OH also needs to take. There cannot be a situation where you are seen as the bad cop and your OH the good.
    Good luck,
    VfM
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DancerSupreme
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally recommend sleeping in the same bed as a toddler as this can introduce attachment issues but you may find a dose of this to be benficial.

He won't settle in a bed with us. He has always slept in his own bed in his own room so he just thinks its play time when we rest together. :rotfl:
    Debt August 2009 - £30,525.50
    Debt Paid February 2011

Another one popped out of the woodwork...time to work hard again!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Happy New Year! Hope everyone has a good one xx

Stayed up and watched Big Ben and the London fireworks and then noticed Channel 4 was doing back to back episodes of Father Ted, so we stayed up for ages watching that.

Got a 5.5kg piece of gammon in Tesco reduced to £9 so we're having that for tea today :money:

Going to set up some spreadsheets to track inch and weight loss and make some other plans to get organised this year. Already having to rejig my diary for work as some courier deliveries haven't arrived. Typical!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Oh you poor dear lady.

Please tell me you're receiving treatment and support, if not, please go to your GP, you need support, maybe pills too! Speakn to your HV, maybe there are groups within your area you can get support from.

Do you go to mothers and toddlers. PND is very draining, it's also isolating, and often sufferers shut themselves away. I can't tell you how beneficial it is to see other people with children the same age as yours, not to mention that you may see others using techniques you could employ to cope, techniques to help you improve your relationship with your child.

It will also give you both the opportunity to spend some time in an environment which isn't oppressed by your own feelings of inadequacy. And believe me when I say you're not inadequate, as inadequate parents never realise they are, never seek help and assume it's everyone else not them.

This is the time of year that those with depression of any kind feel worse than ever, try to remember that as you struggle through it, it's no comfort, but hold onto that until you can get to the surgery.

Listen, even if you are receiving treatment, you still feel awful, you must go back to your health team, please.

I suffered as you when my now 21 yr old was small. My DR was hopeless and simply told me to see if I could get him into nursery early.

I spent my whole life feeling rubbish, even now I feel our relationship is irrepairably damaged, and I lookj back on his entire childhood with regret.

I don't ever want another parent to feel as I do, it's not too late, you can turn this around, but not on your own. Depression is a dreadful condition, by it's very nature folk don't want to tell anyone how bad they feel, as they don't wish to be judged and found wanting, they're afraid of finding out there's no depression therefore there's something wrong with them.

Please, please seek support, and don't be afraid to come in here for reassurance, you're not fighting this alone.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • 3onitsway
    3onitsway Posts: 4,000 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy 2011 everyone.

Me and the children had a quiet night watching Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 while OH was at work. I let V stay up til gone 9 - but it didn't make her sleep any longer this morning, we were up at 7 as usual.

I think I might take the tree down today to start my decluttering. I've already filled three bin bags this week with too small clothes from the older childrens wardrobes. Mine and OH's wardrobes are next on my list.

I'm determined to only take stuff we need/use when we move house.
    :beer:
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I just say...when my own son was that age he was exactly the same - just wanted his dad and not me. I was the one who was always there while daddy worked very long hours and was the "fun" person when he was at home.

Well, my son's nearly 40 now and he's the most kind, loving and protective son I could wish for. From the age of around three he suddenly decided it was me he wanted after all and so I expect the daddy thing was just one of the many phases kids go through.

Please don't despair. It WILL get better.
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gembaxter wrote: »
    He won't settle in a bed with us. He has always slept in his own bed in his own room so he just thinks its play time when we rest together. :rotfl:

But closeness can come in other ways too :D

Settling down on the sofa to watch a DVD/TVProgramme/Film/CBBC or to read a book gives great opportunities for snuggles :)
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lots of hugs and cuddles regardless of whether he wants them or not! If he kicks out or moans, turn it into a fun tickling game. Stick with it, he's really only a baby.

It's you that needs a break from time to time and you're feeling fragile so don't be hard on yourself.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • pupsicola
    pupsicola Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Bless you, I think you are very brave to come on here and be so open about how you are feeling.

I haven't suffered from pnd myself, but know people who have and they mentioned feeling the same way you do. My sister had an awful time with my niece. I want to word this right so as not to appear to be laying blame anywhere. The thing is once my sister started taking medication to help with her pnd her mood lifted gradually and her relationship with her child improved. My niece had been picking up on my sisters anxiety and depression and it effected their relationship.

As another angle on this my youngest was like your child and was very selective about who he would give affection to and accept it from. It hurt at times but I kept telling myself that he was just too young to understand.

For 3 years it felt like love between him and me was a one way thing. He never wanted cuddles from me and seemed to give very little back. But that is kids for you, they are learning and developing and getting to know people in their way and at their pace. He is now 5 and the most loving, cuddly, funny little guy and we have an amazing relationship. It will come. You are his mum and he knows no matter what you are there for him and he can rely on you.

Keep going
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport