Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• Saver-Rob
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    That's an increase of £80 in allowances - so is just for the current year. It's on a P2 (Coding Notice) so doesn't facilitate freehand info about the rest of the claim?

Expect some P8oos in the next few days detailing earlier years + (seperately) a cheque.

Brilliant - thanks for that. I will see if anything further arrives. If it doesnt within the next week I will write back. I have claimed the full amount of years possible back so am not sure what I may be due. And you say the cheque is sent seperately? Is that for sure or do they sometimes issue a refund in other ways ie. that amount of tax deduction for 1 year or something similar?

Thanks again.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They either code out the total for all the years claimed - into this years Coding. Or - as they haven't done that the prior years must be being refunded? You will get a calculation for each year (P800) - the refund figure is against a Note '16' on the P800 for the last year.

But - it's not significant sums. The £80 this year translates to (£80 at 20% =) £16. [Double that if you pay at 40%] So - if you multiply the £16 by the number of back years ..... you won't be far wrong.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Saver-Rob
    Options
    Oh OK. Well every little helps so I will update here when I get anything!

Thanks again.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2012 at 4:54AM
    Options
    The following is a link to a government investigation into changing some of the "Alice in Wonderland" aspects of our tax system - the second most complex in the world.

The "tools and overalls" allowance is in the report, sandwiched between cycling safety and late night taxis.

Some thought was given to abolishing these "tools and overalls" allowances by trade, but then the penny dropped that individuals would start keeping accounts for the tax man to review.

The decision to recommend keeping these allowances is on page 51, BUT when the realisation dawns that there must be more than 10,000 tax payers claiming these allowances now, then there might be a call to review the systems again.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/ots_review_tax_reliefs_final_report.pdf

This report is not all good news:
    The lucky people of Yorkshire look like losing their tax free black beer.:D

• jen49
    jen49 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    just wondering if I need to tell the tax office how much I want to
    claim back or will just stating how many years I've worked will do.
    #40 Save £1 a day for Christmas 2020 £109/366
    #9 Save 12k in2020 £3705/12000.00
  • Kellymistress
    Options
    Heard about the tax rebate for uniform washing off this site

Wrote to them and four weeks later a cheque for £138 backdated

Thanks Martin money savings expert!:j
  • Saver-Rob
    Saver-Rob Posts: 570 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Heard about the tax rebate for uniform washing off this site

Wrote to them and four weeks later a cheque for £138 backdated

Thanks Martin money savings expert!:j

Good news. Did you receive an updated tax code letter prior to getting your cheque rebate?
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    The decision to recommend keeping these allowances is on page 51, BUT when the realisation dawns that there must be more than 10,000 tax payers claiming these allowances now, then there might be a call to review the systems again

Interesting that they only had 10,000 on record as claiming this when you consider half the workforce probably wear uniforms or protective clothing of some sort.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    Put in a tax rebate claim for uniform washing at home before xmas, and today received a letter saying

"Thank you for your claim for flat rate expenses for the tax years ended 5 April 2005/2006, 2006/2007, 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011 and 2011/2012. Claims for previous tax years I have used the flat rate expenses along with all of your income and tax allowances to work out how much tax we owe back to you.

Now awaiting P800 Tax Calculation showing how they worked out how much they owe back to me. However I have received a PAYE Coding Notice for 2011/2012 saying new code is 757L which replaces 747L

Personal allowance £7475
    Flat rate job expenses +£100

I assume they are therefore allowing me £100 tax allowance on washing of uniform, but does anyone know how much I can expect to get back in total for the years 2005-2011?

Thanks in advance
  • mrscrimbo
    Options
    my husband has worked at tesco for over 15 years and has had to wear a uniform the whole time. he is now a manager and has to wear a suit provided by them...can he claim for this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback