Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    leeallen wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if i can back date a claim for washing logo'd uniform if i dont work for them any more.i worked there from october 2006 -may 2010.any info would be greatly aprreciated

I personally would think so as you are able to claim for the last six years. No harm in giving it a go.
  • alox123
    alox123 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Saver-Rob wrote: »
    Hi again.

I got my cheque today - £85.

Does that sound about right to you... how does it work out @ 20% of £80?

Thanks for your help.

Hi

Can I just ask how long it took, how many years you got money back for and what sector you work in? If you don't mind me asking.

Sent a letter off 2 weeks ago and was just wondering when I might hear something

Cheers
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2012 at 9:38PM
    Options
    Saver-Rob wrote: »
    Hi again.

I got my cheque today - £85.

Does that sound about right to you... how does it work out @ 20% of £80?

Thanks for your help.

Depends how many years you've gone back? But it won't be far out. The allowance (£80) will be less in the earlier years (£60 up to 08/09) - but the tax rate will be 22%. The P800s should qualify it all?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Saver-Rob
    Saver-Rob Posts: 570 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Depends how many years you've gone back? But it won't be far out. The allowance (£80) will be less in the earlier years (£60 up to 08/09) - but the tax rate will be 22%. The P800s should qualify it all?

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have a sheet enclosed with the letter with the calculation on however it does seem to only cover the 2010-2011 year. I asked for a rebate for the past 6 years but no other years are mentioned. I will have to write back if I do not understand this.....

Thanks.

alox123 - I will let you know once I have worked it out for myself but I am employed by a Government department.
  • mattie007
    Options
    Going to send my letter Monday.
    What I dont understand is why some get a cheque and some just get a tax code alteration?
    03022242 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have to wear a white shirt and black trousers, provided by me at a security job i do now and again. can i claim expenses? it has no logo on there, i usually wear the logo'd tie and overcoat (provided by them)
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    Expenses - for what? The discussion thread is about laundering 'uniform' items. Not sure a tie / overcoat and 'now and again' is going to do much for HMRC?
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    mattie007 wrote: »
    Going to send my letter Monday.
    What I dont understand is why some get a cheque and some just get a tax code alteration?

In monetary terms they're both the same. If you want a cheque for the earlier years then you need to specifically request that. The default appears to be they will otherwise code all the arrears into this years Code. In which case the arrears + current year are paid via your pay by virtue of less tax paid.
  • Baking_Mad
    Options
    just a quick question

planning to write the letter on Monday

my husband has been with the current employer for almost 4 years and prior to that worked for a similar company where he also had to do his own laundry.

do we write two separate letters for each employment or just one showing the details of both employers?

thanks
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just the one letter.
    In old fashioned terms your tax file followed you from job to job. Now its all computerised you still have only one tax file on the computer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback