Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• figgy
    figgy Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can claim for cleaning boilersuits? Hubby works as an engineering labourer wearing jogging bottoms and T-shirts (which he supplies himself) and over these he wears a boilersuit provided by his company which has the company logo on it. They don't provide any means of washing these and he does it at home. While not technically a "uniform", has anyone else had a successful claim for cleaning a boilersuit?
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    figgy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can claim for cleaning boilersuits? Hubby works as an engineering labourer wearing jogging bottoms and T-shirts (which he supplies himself) and over these he wears a boilersuit provided by his company which has the company logo on it. They don't provide any means of washing these and he does it at home. While not technically a "uniform", has anyone else had a successful claim for cleaning a boilersuit?

My claim was for wearing overalls, and they have adjusted 2011/2012 tax code by £100 just waiting to hear what the cheque will be to cover the last 6 years.
  • figgy
    figgy Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Fab, thanks, I'll give it a go!
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nicky321 wrote: »
    but does anyone know how much I can expect to get back in total for the years 2005-2011?

Thanks in advance

An average of just over £20 per year. (£100 @ 20% = £20. But the earlier years were at 22%)
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    mrscrimbo wrote: »
    has to wear a suit provided by them...can he claim for this?

Do you 'launder' it??
  • Nicky321
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    An average of just over £20 per year. (£100 @ 20% = £20. But the earlier years were at 22%)
    Thanks Mike,
    so approx £120 for the last 6 years and maybe a little more? not sure how they work it all out as to how much allowance in the first place, the overalls are washed everytime they are worn and this can be 3 times or more per week
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    Nicky321 wrote: »
    not sure how they work it all out as to how much allowance in the first place, the overalls are washed everytime they are worn and this can be 3 times or more per week

It's a flat rate allowance - which starts at £60. So - at £100 - you're a few rungs (max is circa £140) up the ladder?
  • Nicky321
    Options
    It's a flat rate allowance - which starts at £60. So - at £100 - you're a few rungs (max is circa £140) up the ladder?

Thanks Mike, whatever the refund, its better than nothing and will be thrown at my debt snowball
  • leeallen_2
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if i can back date a claim for washing logo'd uniform if i dont work for them any more.i worked there from october 2006 -may 2010.any info would be greatly aprreciated
  • Saver-Rob
    Saver-Rob Posts: 570 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    They either code out the total for all the years claimed - into this years Coding. Or - as they haven't done that the prior years must be being refunded? You will get a calculation for each year (P800) - the refund figure is against a Note '16' on the P800 for the last year.

But - it's not significant sums. The £80 this year translates to (£80 at 20% =) £16. [Double that if you pay at 40%] So - if you multiply the £16 by the number of back years ..... you won't be far wrong.

Hi again.

I got my cheque today - £85.

Does that sound about right to you... how does it work out @ 20% of £80?

Thanks for your help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure