Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive just sent a letter off for my DH. We are claiming for as many years back as you can go, and the 1st year of that he was in the forces, Ive written on the letter than only a coin operated launderette was provided - which he had to pay for. The army doesnt give anything away for free! :)
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    Received cheque this morning for £110.60 :)
  • alox123
    alox123 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Might be worth mentioning, as its not mentioned in the original guide - to include your national insurance number and make sure the letter is signed.
  • jen49
    jen49 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    alox123 wrote: »
    Might be worth mentioning, as its not mentioned in the original guide - to include your national insurance number and make sure the letter is signed.

thinking about it now (sent my letter off last week) and don't remember signing it :embarasse do you think its worth writing again.
    #40 Save £1 a day for Christmas 2020 £109/366
    #9 Save 12k in2020 £3705/12000.00
  • moomoominx
    Options
    I was wondering if someone can help me - my husband is a self employed electrician - domestis and commercial including garages - we obviously have to wash his work clothes - which are ONLY used for work - is it worth me putting in a claim cant seemt o find anything about self employed and the washing situation! many thanks :)
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    moomoominx wrote: »
    I was wondering if someone can help me - my husband is a self employed electrician - domestis and commercial including garages - we obviously have to wash his work clothes - which are ONLY used for work - is it worth me putting in a claim cant seemt o find anything about self employed and the washing situation! many thanks :)

I was also a self employed electrician many many years ago, and if i remember, all my washing was put down as expenses, paid OH a wage, to be sorted with the accountant and taxman. Maybe things have changed since then.
  • Baking_Mad
    Baking_Mad Posts: 405 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2012 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Hi, I'm back again and wondering if anyone can help.

My OH works as a maintenance technician in a paper mill, he has to wear the uniform with logo and overalls all of which we wash at home.

Can someone give me an idea which industry category this would come under? The only one we can think of is "Trades Ancillary to Engineering" under "all other workers"???
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2012 at 11:11PM
    Options
    moomoominx wrote: »
    is it worth me putting in a claim

No - this is PAYE. You can claim reasonable expenses on his SA Return? If you want to go further back - you need to amend previous Returns? Potentially messy.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    Options
    alionaear wrote: »
    Can someone give me an idea which industry category this would come under? The only one we can think of is "Trades Ancillary to Engineering" under "all other workers"???

Can't help I'm afraid. Just claim it, with the details you've posted, and let HMRC resolve where it fits?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    Sent my letter off Xmas week, not heard anything yet, How long ago did you people who have received cheques as refunds write?

Thanks
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family