Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• Empty_pockets
    Options
    Great thanks, so do I write £100 in the allowance section or £40? Higher rate payer.

Thanks.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You write the £100.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Austineer_2
    Options
    Many thanks to all who have helped and posted on this thread.

I wrote to HMRC on 8th January as my job requires me to wear overalls, company polo shirt, work trousers and to supply and maintain my own saftey boots (I work in a tyre and exhaust fitting centre).

I've had two letters back today - one telling me that I'll get a rebate cheque (along with details of how the rebate has been worked out) and a letter detailing my new tax code.

Very happy with this.
    Would LOVE to win:
    A hamper - any sort! A goody bag - any sort! A UK mini-break. A year's supply of something foodie. Anything Sci-Fi related
    2013 wins - Cutting Room book, Rock n Rose necklace, £50 M&S voucher, Greggs coffee, £70 voucher for a Onesie
  • pozzie_2
    Options
    At long last we have heard from the Inland Revenue. We have received a letter from them which states "I am pleased to tell you that you are due a repayment of income tax for the year 2010-2011, and a cheque for £45 is attached below".

Will this be the total amount we can expect? My husband claimed for the last 6 tax years. Thankyou for your help.

PS no new notice of change of tax code as yet.
  • LGG_2
    LGG_2 Posts: 489 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2012 at 2:37PM
    Options
    i work as a door supervisor at a nighclub/security at concerts and wear a uniform for that.i originally rang them up and because D/S wasnt listed. he wasnt sure if i could claim so advised to write in. i sent my letter off just over 2 weeks ago. today i had a new paye code adding nearly £400 onto my allowances and after ringing the tax office to clarify as i was after a cheque! she told me i will get a rebate of £70 plus on my next wage and will pay less tax for the rest of the tax year. and from the new tax year i will continue to get my £60 cleaning allowance (or 20% of that i think it is). the years i was given a rebate for were 2005/06 upto now

thanks alot moneysaving expert and to my company who made its staff aware of this thread.
  • mncollyer
    Options
    I have received a letter turning down my claim, they say they have contacted the company and they say that we do not have to wear a uniform which is unusual as new uniform was provided in the last few months.
    If I want to appeal I have to get a letter stating that uniform is provided and must be worn and laundered by myself.
  • Tabby
    Tabby Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    I work as a special constable (volunteer police officer) and wrote to HMRC explaining this asking for tax relief on laundering my uniform. They wrote back clearly not understand the words 'special constable' or 'volunteer police officer' as they said they did not have details of my new employment.
    I went to call them to clarify what their cryptic letter meant but was on hold for 10 minutes - the helpline recorded menu is so LLLLOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG is it maddening.
    I went on the website again and eventually found this:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM68131.htm
    which basically says that because I am paid zilch and therefore no PAYE is paid by the police service, I am not able to get any tax relief! :sad:
    Just posting this to help anyone in the similar situation as me who tries to contact HMRC about tax relief on voluntary work.
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    pozzie wrote: »
    Will this be the total amount we can expect?

There should be some P800s en route - telling you how its calculated. £45 seems a bit light for 6 years.
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    Tabby wrote: »
    Just posting this to help anyone in the similar situation as me who tries to contact HMRC about tax relief on voluntary work.

Several similar posts over the last few pages of this thread. If you don't pay tax - the extra allowance is a bit useless?
  • newmum1
    newmum1 Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 January 2012 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Thanks to the OP I wrote a letter got a response yesterday and it turns out that they they had taken too much tax as I had a company vehicle too, so a cheque is on its way to me for £537 whoop whoop... :D :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback