Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• MissKitty
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    You're misunderstanding it. The MoD state that an allowance is bundled into your husband's pay. Nothing to do with HMRC. Except they will not grant a further allowance where the employer already provides an allowance or facilities.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I got a bit confused.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MissKitty wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, I got a bit confused.

Fine. You need to look at your husband's payslips / P60 and see if there's a tax free allowance shown.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • little_miss_5
    Options
    Well I can finally cross this one off my "to do" list as I posted the letter today so fingers crossed.:j
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too have just printed off the letter to send for my husband. I can't believe how most of his colleagues have done this through a company who charge £6 plus 20% of any money received!!!
    What a rip off.
  • Baking_Mad
    Options
    Hi all.

We posted the letter back in January and a couple of days ago got a letter from HMRC quering what industry my OH works in.
    I was under impression that it's them who decide which indusry they put you under and that all we needed to do was to give the details of the employer and the job title:(
    I've just written another letter and have specified the industry we believe best describes what OH does but not sure where it'll get us.

Anyone else had the industry request letter?
  • mickstatham
    mickstatham Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2012 at 6:27PM
    Options
    Hi,

my wife applied for this rebate as she has to wear a company supplied uniform and has done so for the last 5-6 years at the Golf club where she works, in fact everyone at the golf club has to wear a uniform. Unfortunately she has just had a very terse reply from HMRC consisting of just one sentence:

'Unfortunately as your uniform is not logo'd and your employer does not have a local agreement for expenses with HMRC, then no expenses are due.'

So it would appear that despite having to foot the bill for cleaning and alterations to her uniform, and the fact that it in no way constitutes 'normal' clothing (you should see it, no sane person would wear that in public), the decision is based on the sole fact that it does not have the logo physically on it. Although she does have to wear a badge at all times.

So getting a refund is not as clean cut as one would assume. :sad:

I'd be interested to know if any one else has had this experience and if there is any course to appeal.
  • jen49
    jen49 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    alionaear wrote: »
    Hi all.

We posted the letter back in January and a couple of days ago got a letter from HMRC quering what industry my OH works in.
    I was under impression that it's them who decide which indusry they put you under and that all we needed to do was to give the details of the employer and the job title:(
    I've just written another letter and have specified the industry we believe best describes what OH does but not sure where it'll get us.

Anyone else had the industry request letter?

Same here letter querying what industry when I clearly said I was a nurse working for ******* Hospital NHS Trust
    #40 Save £1 a day for Christmas 2020 £109/366
    #9 Save 12k in2020 £3705/12000.00
  • bethan.haf
    Options
    Hi all,

I am a nurse who works for the NHS in Wales so we have 'smart scrubs' with the NHS Wales logo embroidered on. I have five sets of scrubs which we have to wash ourselves at home as we have no laundering facilities.
    I sent a letter (as suggested earlier in forum) and got a letter back saying no tax allowance allowed due to the fact I was working for a particular health board in Powys.
    Has anyone else had any problems with claiming in Wales? I have been straight back on the phone to them and now have to 'appeal'.

Beth x
  • marywooyeah
    Options
    can someone help? I worked in a shop with a logoed uniform between 2007 and 2011 but can't see an amount for retail staff so don't know what to put the amount per year as?

thanks in advance
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    can someone help? I worked in a shop with a logoed uniform between 2007 and 2011 but can't see an amount for retail staff so don't know what to put the amount per year as?

thanks in advance
    Its £60 for retail.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport