Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• MissKitty
    Options
    Thanks very much for your explanation Mikeyorks.

That's a new one on me, I'm going to question that one a bit further with the tax man. My husband has never been given any extra allowances in his tax code and we have never been provided with free laundry facilities or vouchers.

I will write to them again and get them to confirm where this allowance or free facilities has been allocated.
  • can someone please help me with my query? I work for Asda as a manager so we are required to wear smart clothes (without company logo) I still have to launder these items. Can I claim if so how? Sorry if this has been asked before

regards

Rachel x
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    can someone please help me with my query? I work for Asda as a manager so we are required to wear smart clothes (without company logo) I still have to launder these items. Can I claim if so how? Sorry if this has been asked before

regards

Rachel x

You can only claim if the items have a company logo and therefore you are unlikely to be wearing them outside of work.

Your smart clothes can be worn at any time outside of work too.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MissKitty wrote: »
    That's a new one on me, I'm going to question that one a bit further with the tax man. My husband has never been given any extra allowances in his tax code and we have never been provided with free laundry facilities or vouchers.

You're misunderstanding it. The MoD state that an allowance is bundled into your husband's pay. Nothing to do with HMRC. Except they will not grant a further allowance where the employer already provides an allowance or facilities.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Janeflax
    Options
    Just to say a big thank you to Martins Money Tips. If I hadnt read the article on work uniform I would never applied. Received a cheque of £478 (yes £478) in a matter of weeks and a higher tax code in my favour just for writing a very simple letter for being a police officer who can only wear uniform at work and have no provisions for laundry services. THANK YOU. If you're a police officer or anyone else who wears a work uniform YOU MUST WRITE THIS LETTER!
  • mayfair1985
    mayfair1985 Posts: 496 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2012 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry to be a pain but looking for a bit of advice here, DH is a removal man, what should i list that as? Furniture Other?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    DH is a removal man, what should i list that as? Furniture Other?

No - that category is for people employed in working with wood and furniture making. Not shifting it once it's made. ;)

Just put his NINO and Employer Ref (from the last P60) on the letter. Mention his trade - and let HMRC work it out?
  • mayfair1985
    Options
    Lol, I did think that, and reading it back now it was a bit stupid :D

Thanks for the advise, will keep you updated :j
  • mkmac
    mkmac Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 February 2012 at 5:19PM
    Options
    A big thanks Martin!

I am a Midwife & followed your advice by ringing and writing to the Tax dept to have my tax code checked as well as giving my details for the past 6 years for my professional union/registration fees,shoes,tights and uniform cleaning. I requested a cheque for any rebate.

About 5 weeks later my Tax code was greatly improved and I was hoping for a refund for a few hundred pounds at best and

got a cheque for £1182.25
    Whoopey!
    :j
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    mkmac wrote: »
    I was hoping for a refund for a few hundred pounds at best

......... and that is what you would have got - at best - for union fees / registration / uniform etc. The majority of the refund is for tax you've been overpaying for other reasons - the P800s you will have received will show you the detail.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback