Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• youngy81
    Options
    I received a response today with a change in tax code with calculations based on earlier years adjustment. Does anyone have an idea if I should expect a rebate in the post? Thanks in advance
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the details on the P2 (Coding Notice)? And - presumably it is for 2011-12?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • youngy81
    youngy81 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2012 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Tax code for 6th April 2011 to 5th April 2012 and another for April 2012 to 2013 the earlier years adjustment only applied to 2011-2012 tax code, is that any help?
  • Mikeyorks
    edited 13 February 2012 at 6:57PM
    Options
    youngy81 wrote: »
    I received a response today with a change in tax code with calculations based on earlier years adjustment. Does anyone have an idea if I should expect a rebate in the post? Thanks in advance

Can't help unless you reply to my post immediately above? If there are P800s as well as a P2 then it's likely a refund is en route? But I need to know what the figures on the P2 say. And confirm its for 11-12 ........... as 12-13 ones are being issued at the moment.

youngy81 wrote:
    Tax code for 6th April 2011 to 5th April 2012 and another for April 2012 to 2013 the earlier years adjustment only applied to 2011-2012 tax code, is that any help?

(On your edit - not really. Need the figures from the 2011-12 P2)
  • youngy81
    Options
    For year 2011-2012 tax code changed to 765L.

Personal allowance £7475
    Earlier years adjustment. £121
    Flat rate expenses. £60

My understanding was I would receive a rebate for previous years with a changed tax code for the future. No coincidence they make it hard to understand

No p800
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    youngy81 wrote: »
    Personal allowance £7475
    Earlier years adjustment. £121
    Flat rate expenses. £60

That makes it easier.

The 'earlier year adjustment' is for 2 x years prior to 11-12. And the £60 is for 11-12. So that is an extra £181 of allowances (the odd £1 looks strange?). Which will generate a refund of £181 @ 20% = £36. (assuming you pay tax at 20%) If you're paid monthly then 11/12ths of that will be in pay at end Feb - the rest end March. You should see your normal tax reduce ... it's unlikely to be a refund as such.
    My understanding was I would receive a rebate for previous years

..... they've obviously decided to bundle it all into this year. Your 12-13 Code should have an extra £60 in it.
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Has anyone tried claiming for the Armed Forces?

My husband tried and the response was NO "free laundry facilities are available to all armed forces personnel".

I know if you live in the single blocks there is washing machines available, but you still have to buy your own detergents.

As married forces we have never been offered any free facilities or vouchers to launder my husbands uniforms.

Am I missing something!!!
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    MissKitty wrote: »
    Am I missing something!!!

My understanding - from other posts - is that HMRC maintain the MoD states they pay a tax free allowance for such purposes. That is borne out on the HMRC website :
    In general, no allowance for income tax purposes should be made to officers of the Army, Navy or Air Force reserves for the cost of maintaining their uniform. The annual tax-free cash allowance that they receive for that purpose should, taking one year with another, normally cover the expenditure so incurred.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM50120.htm
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Thanks for your reply and link Mikeyorks.

I read the link but I don't really understand it, can you put it in plain English for me?

Sorry for being a bit dim!!
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    MissKitty wrote: »
    I read the link but I don't really understand it, can you put it in plain English for me?

Ignore the link. I only put that in to show where it had come from. In relation to your question the relevant bit is in the quote :
    The annual tax-free cash allowance that they receive for that purpose should, taking one year with another, normally cover the expenditure so incurred

In short - MoD are saying that a tax free allowance is made, within pay, to provide for all aspects of uniform maintenance. In such cases (where laundry facilities / vouchers / cash allowance) HMRC won't allow a (further) allowance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback