Wash your uniform at home ?

Options

Comments

• smellyfoot
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    You're likely to get in the region of £60 or £80 in relief. Which translates (at 20% tax rate) to £12 / £16pa.

Just write to HMRC with your NINO and Employer ref (off your P60) and indicate you wish to claim for laundering overalls (?).

Thank You Mikeyorks ,You're star...!!!:D
  • hypothetical
    Options
    Hello!

Just to say that reclaiming this allowance has been a total win for me; I've been working frontline for an ambulance trust for three years and have been given the maximum 140ukp uniform allowance having contacted HMRC.

For information, I was told by the very helpful person who I spoke to at HMRC that for a claim of up to three years adjustment it's ok to do it over the phone - no need to write a letter and spend on a stamp! :)

Oh and I also managed to reclaim tax on HPC fees and Union membership... That's also added up nicely.

To add to the total win-ness of my minimal effort ten minute phonecall they've reassessed my tax payments for the last three years since joining said ambulance service and have given me a total rebate of 1.3k and change.

So thank you very much MSE-forums. Most profitable ten minutes ever! :beer:

Happily,

hypothetical
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    My uncle died last year. Can my aunt claim back for the washing, even though her husband is now deceased?

Yes she can do that. Needs to specify his NINO and Employer Ref (from the last P60). And clarifying - for avoidance of any doubt - that the refund must be in the form of a cheque and payable to the personal representative (and specifying precisely who that is).
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Just a little bit back will make a huge difference for her ( pensioner ).
  • Mikeyorks
    edited 11 February 2012 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Just a little bit back will make a huge difference for her ( pensioner ).

Fine. But be aware that for most it only translates to around £12 per year in real money? I take it the Executor - or whoever dealt with the death submitted an R27 (Potential repayment to the estate) to HMRC at the time? As that will usually result in a repayment - because of unused allowances in the year of death.
  • scotty1971
    scotty1971 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just wondering if i could claim for this,i am currently a student nurse and i have to launder my uniform at home,it works out that i am on placement for half the year.any advice welcome

thanks

scott
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    Yes - have a look at the top link on post #1 of this thread. Comes under 'Healthcare ....'
  • shandy1
    shandy1 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm just finalising my letter that I'm going to send to claim back the tax but I'm struggling to find the address to send it too. I work for NHS lothian and there isn't an address on my P60. All i have is my payroll department address and a part that says HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS OFFICE NAME, CENTRE 1. I would appreciate some help please!!
    !
  • Mikeyorks
    Options
    shandy1 wrote: »
    All i have is my payroll department address and a part that says HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS OFFICE NAME, CENTRE 1. I would appreciate some help please!!
    !

That's East Kilbride. But if you don't have recent correspondence send it to the general PAYE address here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=50522357&postcount=1070

Put your NINO and Employer Ref (from the P60 on it) on the letter. It doesn't need, these days, to go to your 'home' office.
  • shandy1
    shandy1 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Thats great. I'll send it to the Liverpool Address. Got all the other details. many thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback