PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

23 odd socks!

Options

Comments

• kerleytops
    Options
    My dog's favourite toy is an odd sock stuffed with other odd socks and tied off at the end.
    Have you looked inside your duvet covers, I often find socks in there.
  • susyrosy
    Options
    I used to have a sock hamper and everyone had to find their own socks (family of 6). These days, all children grown up, I have two pairs - I think - of those freebie airline socks with no turned heels.

You COULD stuff cushions with the old ones, or cut them into squid rings for tying up garden stuff, put them on one hand for dusting, or just wear odd ones.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2011 at 2:41PM
    Options
    My mum used to buy all of us (mum, dad, me, brother) the same black socks so it didn't matter who got what socks out of the wash pile! Never had any odd ones then unless one of a pair got holey.

I did this but just for me. I bought quite a lot of them at the same time but I still get odd socks! They are different shades of black - still wer them though
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I bought my DH black socks with coloured toes and heals, and DS has days of the week socks.

Everyone puts their socks in the hamper and I wash ALL dark washing every second day and ensure the hampers are empty (if I forget a wash then I find I get odd socks because I don't empty the basket). When washed the socks go on the line in pairs, if one is missing the culprit is told to find it's buddy (normally DS threw it behind the dehumidier because he took them off in bed and tried to play basket ball with his socks!!

I really do find that buying socks which have colour matching is a great help because you don't have to measure them against each other, check out the shades, you just pick up and pair!

With DS I still got a lot of lost socks, so I made him buy his own ones :)

Then last time he got days of the week, and he likes to wear the right one on the right day, so he makes it important that he doesn't loose them, because he likes them (helps that his friend has them too, and they check daily that they have matching socks!)
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,365 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Like others, I just buy black socks, from Asda, so they sort of match, and no sorting out, just wear what there is
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    My DD runs a household of 6 and never matches up socks. Instead they all go in a big plastic tub and everyone takes out a pair either matching or non matching depending on the personality concerned. This can go too far though as when I met my DGS (14) the other day he had on his DB's tee shirt, his other DB's jeans one sock was his mums, the other was his sisters (the heel came midway on his foot as she is tiny), and to crown it all he had on his DB's OH's pants. We met so I could buy him a new winter coat but who knows who will have that on the next time I see it.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Love that I'm not the only one who wears odd socks! And I'm thinking of adapting the dog-toy idea into something involving cat nip!
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    Ches wrote: »
    My DD runs a household of 6 and never matches up socks. Instead they all go in a big plastic tub and everyone takes out a pair either matching or non matching depending on the personality concerned. This can go too far though as when I met my DGS (14) the other day he had on his DB's tee shirt, his other DB's jeans one sock was his mums, the other was his sisters (the heel came midway on his foot as she is tiny), and to crown it all he had on his DB's OH's pants. We met so I could buy him a new winter coat but who knows who will have that on the next time I see it.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I've got these (well the previous incarnation) and haven't lost a sock since. THey are great because you just make everyone put their socks in them before going into the washing basket, and then they stay in them through washing, drying, and returning to their owner!
  • mustmakealist
    Options
    My dd2 is away at uni and often wears odd socks. When she comes home it's odd ones that she brings with her. Son is a big fan of socks with the days of the week on them. He usually pairs his socks as he takes them off and that's the way they hit the laundry bin.

I have a basket (or 2) where odd socks breed whilst looking for a mate. There were also the ones that had been washed in different loads and were no longer quite the same colour IYKWIM. It also contained the slightly worn out ones and those that were too small. When these finally looked as though they were about to take over the whole house I eventually took action. I consigned over 200 socks to the bin.
    I'm determined never to let the pile get that big again, but I'm not sure that dd2 will co-operate!
    I need to make a new list for 2014
    think of something to put on it!:rotfl:
    Try harder for 2014 as I never managed it in 2012 or 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business