PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• ajs88
    ajs88 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    mine went on for the first time monday evening and again last night but only for 20-30 minutes.

can i ask, do you think its cheaper to have the heating on full for 30 minutes or on half for an hour

thanks
  • imogen-p
    Options
    Still off for me here in Yorkshire. Been off since the end of March. Hoping to get to the end of October before it goes on again. Although having seen the forecast predictions for October snow, it may end up being a bit earlier in the month.
    Unofficial Debt Free Wannabee.
    April 2010. Loan 1 £4650 Loan 2 £1140 credit card £332 overdraft £1475

Oct 2011. Loan 1 £3400 Loan 2 £0:D Credit Card £199 Overdraft £800

Oct 2011. Loan 1 £0 Loan 2 £0 Credit Card £0 Overdraft £0:D
  • wheels28
    Options
    Ours is still off, last few mornings its been a little fresh when i get up, but its staying off for now. Duvet is now back on the bed, my DH is too hot in bed, put since i've been wheelchair dependant i feel the cold easily, so he'll have to stay 'Hot'.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our heating is switched on for an hour or so in the evenings if we have been out all day as the lounge is about 17C at the moment so we switch it on to the settings below.

Living room is kept at 21/22C in the winter time, bedrooms are kept at 18/19C.

My flat mate doesnt use the living room though and is always in his bedroom so his room is also classed as a living room and is kept at 21/22C like I keep the living room.

On a night time these temps are dropped back to 18/19C to match the bedrooms.

It may save you money to turn it off when everyone is in bed and use the timer to turn it on for about half an hour before everyone gets up.

The only time I leave my heating on all night is when it gets to below minus 5 at night, but that's mainly to stop pipes freezing. Burst pipes are very expensive!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well i was gonan put mine on, but i'm out of oil :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • richardc1983
    Options
    bluebag wrote: »
    It may save you money to turn it off when everyone is in bed and use the timer to turn it on for about half an hour before everyone gets up.

The only time I leave my heating on all night is when it gets to below minus 5 at night, but that's mainly to stop pipes freezing. Burst pipes are very expensive!

Our heating is provided by the air con system so very cheap to run. We have to leave set at 18/19c as any lower and the windchill from convective air currents (old Victorian house) makes it feel so much colder.

Dont get me wrong at mo it's not on all night but come dec it will be set at 18/19 through the night. Off totally during day when no one here the house can drop to 10c easily despite being double glazed! It's only on for an hour on an evening at mo.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Rosie_Thorn
    Options
    bluebag wrote: »

My thermostat has an extra programme for night time (i.e after the heating's gone off) that brings the heating back on if it goes below 3 degrees (I think you can change the temp.) so that freezing pipes aren't a worry.

My heating isn't on yet (in Dorset) and won't be until the hot water bottle fails to keep me warm. I work from home (proof reading) so do sit still for long periods but I find plonking my feet on a hot water bottle and having a rug over my legs (wow do I look attractive:D) keeps me away from the central heating 'on switch'. Sounds strange but two large dogs in the room raises the temp too (when it gets colder I move their beds into my work room and shut us all in - don't call the RSPCA). Probably not very useful as a money saving tip if you don't already have dogs.:wink:
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    :wave:Welcome Rosie Thorn. Sounds like me. I am sat here with a fleecy blanket and a cat,hot water bottle next,after dinner. Heating definitely staying OFF for a while yet.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    :wave:Welcome Rosie Thorn. Sounds like me. I am sat here with a fleecy blanket and a cat,hot water bottle next,after dinner. Heating definitely staying OFF for a while yet.

And me,sat here watching NCIS after dinner (Bangers n Mash) with Daisy cat asleep on my lap & a glass of cider...Windows are all closed tho as it's blowing a gale outside....
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OFF :D

Although i do think that we are in for a cold night, its 19 indoors and 13 outside but feels much colder as the winds are very strong here atm. I`ve not checked the forecast yet today so i`m sure that i won`t be impressed later when i do catch up.

Welcome Rosie Thorn - love the username :D

My dawgies arn`t really much help when its cold i`m afraid, the little oldie needs keeping warm himself and the younger one likes to chavel feet and take off our socks whilst we watch telly at night :eek:
    Thankfully she does seem to be growing out of this now!

The monster cat is rather antisocial and prefers to curl up on the throw over our bed upstairs rather than be used as a hot water bottle, if she doesn`t fancy a cuddle she can be rather sharp :eek:

I have two spare fleecy throws and i`m considering making two doggy jackets for the woofaloes from them, nothing too elaborate mind as i`m no seamstress, mainly cut to size and a strip around the middle to keep in place with some sort of fastener around the neck end to keep it on.

Fleece is ideal for this as its stretchy so will be comfy for them and it doesn`t fray so won`t need hemming, i`m sure that little oldie will love it :D

Have a warm snuggly evening everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family