PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    16C is an accepted level, but I try to hold off by wearing extra layers until it drops to 14C or below.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    davetaylor wrote: »
    I was just wondering if there was generally accepted rule for what is a reasonable temperature to be living in? My flatmate is already grumbling that it is cold and rather than having arguments I would just like to agree on a temp. For example, if it drops below 20 degrees we put the heating on?

Our thermostat is set at 16 degrees. That's enough to keep the chill off.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 20 September 2011 at 7:50PM
    Options
    Its just me -and the cats- in bed on weeknights, and I really notice the difference. I've had two duvets on the bed somenights in august already. I have bought an electric blanket, though I'm somewhat wary, and now have a duvet underneath than and one on top, and one folded at the bottom for when I need it. I'm a bit worried that by January I'll have half a dozen duvets on the bed and I'll get lost in there.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Reminds me of the fairytale - Princess and the Pea:D
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Sally_A wrote: »
    I'm with Lostinrates on this one:-

We have a double bed, but a king size duvet, use the old double size duvet as a mattress topper, and hold it in place with either a king size fitted sheet over, and/or elastic/string if needed.

It's so warm and comfy it does make getting up in the morning harder, but soft quilty luxury, and no heating needed in the bedroom.

If you don't have a spare old double duvet, use a single sleeping bag, opened up.

I do that too!! Darling GF thought I was quite odd doing that,till she found out how comfy it is..But what I do is use the old quilt covers for the smaller quilt as the bottom sheets,saves money buying new sheets & makes use of the older covers..
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's like going back to your childhood days - you knew it was winter when you mum swapped the cotton sheets for flanelette ones - but a quilt as a base layer is so much snugger.
  • Candy53
    Candy53 Posts: 2,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well, the same as my last post, ours is still OFF in Lincolnshire.

We're still getting lovely mild weather, although having quite alot of the wet stuff. Still having doors and windows open during the day, and evenings too.

Woke up many nights, feeling too hot! Long may it reign!!

Candy
    What goes around, comes around.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    We also have a king size quilt on a double bed :D
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    davetaylor wrote: »
    I was just wondering if there was generally accepted rule for what is a reasonable temperature to be living in? My flatmate is already grumbling that it is cold and rather than having arguments I would just like to agree on a temp. For example, if it drops below 20 degrees we put the heating on?

The department of health recommends 18-21C in the main living room and 16-18 in the rest of the house.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    bluebag wrote: »
    The department of health recommends 18-21C in the main living room and 16-18 in the rest of the house.

Our heating is switched on for an hour or so in the evenings if we have been out all day as the lounge is about 17C at the moment so we switch it on to the settings below.

Living room is kept at 21/22C in the winter time, bedrooms are kept at 18/19C.

My flat mate doesnt use the living room though and is always in his bedroom so his room is also classed as a living room and is kept at 21/22C like I keep the living room.

On a night time these temps are dropped back to 18/19C to match the bedrooms.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Miss_Purple_Hat
    Options
    Still at home with my parents atm, where heating is off and it's still fairly warm. But I keep the bedroom window cracked open (it can be locked into a "night vent" position) at all times. My room is a bit cold by the time I go to bed - but i prefer it that way because I like to snuggle up in bed!

Going back to uni soon though. Living with someone who I know feels cold almost all the time, and dreading when the heating goes on - my bed in my new room is next to the radiator!
    Making mistakes is not the end of the world, though it often feels that way!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback