PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our house is maintaining about 20 too. We are in Wiltshire and its pretty warm here at the moment (no sun though) Its just under two years old though so pretty well insulated i would think.

We are moving in approx 5 weeks to a nearby village and the house we are buying is a 111 year old stone cottage so im dreading the difference tbh. I am going to hold off putting the heating on till we move if i can though.

I'm in Wiltshire too, and thanks to the wind where we are it is not warm. My house is old, and its almost always colder in my sitting room than it is outside until the wood burner goes on so I read the posts about hugely warmer interiors with envy :)
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    well although it not been too cold, i have noticed it has started to have a little nip in the air in the mornings and evening's.

and our heating has been on, but only for half hour to warm house up when it is the babies bath time. he is 4 weeks old , the older children haven't been bothered, so for the mo baby bath time means the heating is going on. plus it nice to warm the bath towels up on rad, something which i love to do.

evenings are getting quite nippy, extra blankets on beds and throws on sofa.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Its my DH who is the problem with the heating. I have a hot water bottle,fleece blanket wool traveling rug,hat,wrist warmers and other warm clothing.Hecomes in and says its cold. unfortunately we have a cardboard thermometer thingy which says 18 is ok for bedrooms and living rooms should be 21. anything less than 18 is "danger of infection"! the sitting room is currently 18. I am ok about letting it fall further. 15 downstairs and 12 upstairs will do me fine. He is moaning about it. if he feels cold then he puts the heating on. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • mummygems
    Options
    Still havent got the heating on here.

I agree with jcr16 there is a nip in the air in the evening and also first thing in the morning. Its still between 19-21 in our 2 bedrooms which is fine with me, my girls have their long sleeved PJs on at the moment as they never keep their covers on but no complaints yet.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • Cadi
    Cadi Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    It's nice and warm sitting by the window of my south-facing spare room, but the rest of the house is 11C. If my boiler was working it would be on! In the meantime I am layered up, but I keep tripping over in my enormous sheepskin boots (courtesy of the competition forum :)).
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    polesalot wrote: »
    Still off....although last night it was colder inside the house than out!

Ditto I concur with that as well. The heating is still off though. I couldn't use any heat from the conservatory, to rob for the house like I did yesterday because there was no sun to warm it through!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It was colder in bed last night with DH working nights, but will hold off putting the winter duvet on until I change the bedding. DS is football training tonight the last evening one, training will be on saturday mornings from now on, the nights are drawing in. Heating is not on but plan a nice warm bath and then an early night. It has been a bit grey and damp today.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pollys wrote: »
    It was colder in bed last night with DH working nights, but will hold off putting the winter duvet on until I change the bedding.

Its just me -and the cats- in bed on weeknights, and I really notice the difference. I've had two duvets on the bed somenights in august already. I have bought an electric blanket, though I'm somewhat wary, and now have a duvet underneath than and one on top, and one folded at the bottom for when I need it. I'm a bit worried that by January I'll have half a dozen duvets on the bed and I'll get lost in there.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm with Lostinrates on this one:-

We have a double bed, but a king size duvet, use the old double size duvet as a mattress topper, and hold it in place with either a king size fitted sheet over, and/or elastic/string if needed.

It's so warm and comfy it does make getting up in the morning harder, but soft quilty luxury, and no heating needed in the bedroom.

If you don't have a spare old double duvet, use a single sleeping bag, opened up.
  • davetaylor
    Options
    I was just wondering if there was generally accepted rule for what is a reasonable temperature to be living in? My flatmate is already grumbling that it is cold and rather than having arguments I would just like to agree on a temp. For example, if it drops below 20 degrees we put the heating on?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback