PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Still off here. It's 14°C here right now. I always hold out until it's absolutely the last minute I can bear it ... and right now my blanket says I'm fine.

I do hope you don't mind me asking, Is that through choice or necessity?

I'm not wealthy, but I would be almost as miserable being cold as hungry. I see it as an essential not something to be put off.

I think a lot of people hold off as long as they can, without money being a factor. I'm sure most of the people on here who are holding out are wealthier than me.

I'm a cold creature - I really feel the cold & I hate it.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Still burning free wood on the wood burner, we keep the doors through out the house all day which warms all rooms, it is still too warm up stairs, windows are opened at night, the wind was defiantly colder today when out but don't get effected by windchill at home :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • scottishbrummy
    Options
    Well it's 7 degrees here and thermostat is saying 14 inside. I've had it on a couple of times over the last week, but not had it on since Thursday. I'm snuggled up in bed so no need for it to be on. Going to try and keep my bill as low as possible as I remember last year paying something ridiculous like £180 for gas and electric over 3 winter months - not happening this year!
    LBM - 30/3/16 - Someone save me from myself!!
    Overdraft: 1800/1800 - Credit card: 1400/1450 - Loan: 1257/4500
    Grand Total: 4457/7750
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I switched it on two weeks ago to get the chill off in the mornings and in the evening; only to 17C. Now that my parents are here for a fortnight, it's set at 20 or 21C, more or less 17 hours a day. At night it is set at 15C, where it would normally be switched off completely. We have a programmable thermostat on central heating, and I love it. I need at least 17C, or else I'll fall asleep. I think I have lizard blood and need external heat :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2016 at 8:44AM
    Options
    Thermometer at back of the house reading 1.4C this morning and cars were slightly white. Loads of geese going over high up, heading south. I think winter is on the move.
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heating is on to take the chill off in the morning and evening now. We are doing battle with mould so I think we need to keep things a bit warmer as well as better ventilated.

I had a bit of an 'ah ha' moment and thought I'd post it. I was unaware that, over time, my warmer tops had been switched to cotton (sweatshirts, cardigans etc) or synthetic fleece and I'd been used to layering up to keep warm - I'd not replaced woollens with wool. The other day my son put a very nice lambswool jumper in the charity shop bag because he'd grown out of it. I've been wearing it for the last week and it is so warm in comparison with my cotton/fleece options, I think I need to wear much more wool again.

B x
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 24 October 2016 at 2:06PM
    Options
    Still off here.

The rooms are getting colder but this has been managed with extra layers, upgraded clothes (ie 2 long sleeve items rather than 1 short under 1 long) extra bedding and a blanket on while watching TV.

Average thermostat temp is 1.5-2C (minimum) higher than what we'd consider putting it on at TBH.

I do think soon though the laundry drying is going to slow down as heating remains off. As house is too warm for heating but too cool for effiecent drying. This is a problem when 2 adults turn take (one has 4 days, one has 3) for the limited drying space! And I am putting the heavier garments on line to blow for a few hours when wind is up.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Coldest morning yet here, minus 2 and cars are pure white. Even the stars look colder.
    Broomstick I always say that you need wool in the real cold, nothing else comes near it for cosy warmth. Cotton fleece feels ok when it's chilly but for real cold it's useless..
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sort of on :)

It's on downstairs for mum early morning and early evening but still not on upstairs where me and he hang out, other then the bathroom as mould develops otherwise

Still coping mostly with lap blankets and fleeces but I do light the stove a couple days a week. Today is bright and sunny, even though it dropped to -2 last night so see how it goes today

I can do cool, but cold just makes my joints even more painful and me even more sleepier
  • scottishbrummy
    Options
    I did crack last night and turned it on, although not for too long and only to get up to 18 degrees. When I got home the thermostat said 15 and then I cooked a pizza (nom!) and left the oven door open when it was done so that got me up to 16. But I wanted warmth! So I turned it on just for an hour or so to get it up to 18. Not turned on today yet though...
    LBM - 30/3/16 - Someone save me from myself!!
    Overdraft: 1800/1800 - Credit card: 1400/1450 - Loan: 1257/4500
    Grand Total: 4457/7750
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family