PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On for a few evenings/mornings now, PLUS the woodstove, this evening! The thermostat never goes above 18℃ and the heating's only on for a couple of hours morning & evening, but with 6 people in a drafty Edwardian house, the (indoor) washing would never get dry if the heat wasn't boosted from time to time. (This should ease up at the beginning of December when two of them are due to move out. With their washing...)

I've lit the stove for the first time tonight, using scrumped wood. It's just 5Kw and a couple of logs will keep us warm all evening in our little living room; there's a fan on top which blows heat through into the hallway, where the thermostat is, and the heating generally goes off when the stove is lit. And the washing at the top of the stairs will dry very quickly, and three elderly cats will assume their accustomed winter positions in front of their cast-iron beloved...
    Angie - GC June 24: £341.07/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine is off, windows open etc, but we stay in a newish build and the windows keep the heat in from the sun.

If we still lived in our old cottage (miss it). The fire would be on and at least the storage heater in kids room. Ice inside double glazed windows, yip.

It's been 2 degrees here, we've been here over 5 years and rarely have heating on.
  • trolleyrun
    trolleyrun Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Off, as it's not working and I haven't had a chance to have it fixed. My preferred fix-it company are snowed under so may be a few weeks yet.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still off here. It's 14°C here right now. I always hold out until it's absolutely the last minute I can bear it ... and right now my blanket says I'm fine.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just looked at my thermometer and it says 19.5C, so I'll keep it off for a bit longer. Mind you that's in my front room, it's lower elsewhere in the house but not too bad, and I'm still warm enough in bed without the use of a hottie bottle!!
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    On, still on and chucking carbon into the atmosphere as well. That will help end the ice age we are in, and upset the local greens who chop down forests to burn wood.

Fixed now till Jan 19. So the price rises will not affect me. Wobbleade is poured. Cheers!

Hello to a fellow Cornish person xxx:T
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Only on in the mornings here, to get the chill off, otherwise off for the rest of the day. Saying 19.5c in the house but there is a chill in the air. Hopefully not going to come in until November or later depending on how DH is. With his illness he gets the chill quite easily,so am surprised that it is fully on yet.
    Have a good rest of the day all.

SIL
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On & has been for about a month. It's on the timer, so comes on morning & evening. I do feel the cold easily.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is on at the moment. Had an hours walk in the fresh air earlier, and did feel cold when I got in. Winter is well on its way!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • 76rosie
    76rosie Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    Still off here. It's 14°C here right now. I always hold out until it's absolutely the last minute I can bear it ... and right now my blanket says I'm fine.

The same here near london. Blankets, slippers and candles here. Holding out for november. But thermostat wont be high. Started using the slow cooker to try and offset some of the cost.
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport