PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Betty_Bucket
    Options
    :)OFF

Not put the heating on yet, but having moved from a 3 storey house to a small maisonette we are feeling snug and cosy whatever the weather outside. It also helps having an OAP :eek:living below as heat rises and not our fuel bills :rotfl::rotfl:

that's R dog that is

• springdreams
    Options
    pollys wrote: »
    We have had the gas fire on a few times but the CH remains off. It's very foggy here.

We've had no form of heating on whatsoever.

Also have loads of fog here. I quite like it as it is warmer than rain. Pity about the poor visibility for driving though.

I will only turn some heating on when the outside temperature drops to under 10 degrees.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 November 2015 at 7:59AM
    Options
    A nice cosy 21 in the living room now. The ch/hw pellet stove has just turned off, came on at 6 and takes 20 minutes to warm up before the big burn. House is super efficient. I am not going to be cold, no way. Bedroom temperature is 18.7. It will never be allowed to drop below 18. En suite will be nice and warm now, ready for use, the bathroom and ensuite rads heat up very quickly, no rads in the living areas as not needed. Wool between the floors so downstairs remains warmer than bedrooms, which is what I want
  • tuskel
    tuskel Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2015 at 12:04AM
    Options
    Just out of interest - how many of you have ever lived in a house without central heating? I am just wondering if those of us who can remember that don't feel the cold so early? I know that I am in the SE and that might make a difference, but I don't need a jumper during the day and I am not the most active of people - although I do go out and walk for half an hour first thing in the morning and that seems to keep me warm for a good part of the rest of the day.

I grew up in a place with no central heating, and when I moved out to go to university, I also lived in a place I needed to heat myself. I remember that we used to get out of bed in the morning as my mum was starting the fire, get our underwear/clothes and get back into bed to warm them up under the quilt. :) I also remember coming home from uni at half past ten at night (the doors were locked at ten, as our course was all about making stuff, you couldn't take a lot of it home if you were painting 2x2m canvas :D), and starting the fire to make sure there was at least a bit of warmth. That house had been built in the 30s, it had a great bread-making stove, I only had cold water from the tap (in the summer it felt too warm to drink! :P) and the toilet was a "dry" one against the outside wall, so effectively I had an outside toilet. In the winter I would wear a coat to go there! Oh, and because it was wood frame with sand between the two walls to insulate it, over the years with all the vibration from the cars it had obviously got packed down tight, and the first floor where I lived, used to shake every time a lorry went past. :D Oh the romantic student years! :D I loved my log-burning stove though, and would happily live in a place like that again.

However, now I live in a house with central heating, and we have definitely had it on, because it has been quite cold. I do get horribly cold feet, because even though I lived in cold places growing up, I always lived on top of someone and I really notice the difference of upstairs and downstairs. I have a hot water bottle (best Xmas present ever!) and wear two pairs of socks and slippers throughout the winter. OH had a mild stroke not long after we met, which left his whole left side numb (he could move, but not feel hot or cold, it felt like electric shock whenever he touched hard surfaces), and it took about 6 months of warfarin (rat poison!) to relieve that. However, when the temperatures fall under 20C, he starts getting the symptoms again, so we have to keep the house warm. I did experiment with the heating a few years ago, because I thought keeping it at 18C was way too hot, and found out that in the winter we can keep the thermostat at 13-14C, and feel comfy, but weirdly in the autumn it has to be around 15C. Maybe it's because it doesn't come on as often. :think:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and my mum was always a great advocate of the "walk in the morning". She has diabetes and would get cold quite easily, esp her feet, but she said that if she went out to the shops in the morning and had about 20-30 min walk, she would feel fine for the whole day, as it "gets the blood moving".

tuskel,
    sincerely
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Hello all,

I try not to have the heating on too much (though as I'm in my mid 70s I know I must be sensible). It's usually on just in the evenings, with the thermostat at 18 C - this seems to work OK at present.

Socks and hot water bottles are my best friends, and I'm knitting a stripy blanket to wrap around myself when I watch TV.

I usually go for a walk at dusk. If I need anything, it's a nice walk to Lidl, with a bus ride back with my granny pass. Otherwise, I have a few circular routes that I can take. Whichever it is, I come back warm as toast, then make sure I'm wearing warm clothes. I stay warm for a good half hour, then, when I start to feel cool, on goes the heating.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 November 2015 at 6:58PM
    Options
    Still OFF the outside temp is 11.2 this evening and inside is 16.9 but does not feel cold.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • chickens11
    Options
    Its still so mild here , I do put the heating on if it drops below 18 but the house seems to keep at about 19 ish , this weather will help our fuel bills for sure ....
    My motto is " one life live it ".....:)
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 November 2015 at 6:59PM
    Options
    Still OFF at the time of posting outside its 12.1 degrees and 17.5 inside, the house is still not feeling cold. We do and good UPVC windows and composite doors and any sun that's around does get to 3 sides of the house which all the windows are on. So free heat, it's been a drizzly day today but the fog has gone which is good.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • beanie414
    beanie414 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our heating is still off although we normally have it on at this time of year.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm sitting here in the kitchen with a cuppa, the back door is wide open, it is bright and mild. I love to let the air in on a day like this and get the light.

However, once the doors are closed if I feel cool on the heat goes on. Then when I get too warm it's off for a while.

I like to be comfortable, but sometimes central heating can be overpowering.

I NEVER have heat on in the bedroom. I used to suffer colds, sinusitis and all the rest of for years. But since shutting off the rad in the bedroom for a few years now, nothing. Touch wood.

I have a bells and whistles electric underblanket though. Oh my how wonderful it is!

Hope the winter is not too bad for everyone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure