PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would be nice to know what the temperature inside is. Where do I get a thermometer? I just want a simple one not anything fancy.

We do not have a thermostat on our heating (rented house) We do not use the timer it is difficult to reach and neither of us can see it very well it is where the hot water tank should be, in a cupboard squashed behind the bathroom sink. We just put it on when we get up and turn it off if it gets too warm, or leave it on all day on days like yesterday. I put it on yesterday when I got up and it has just about got warm now.

Mind you I am wearing 3 thermal vests, a t shirt, a thick jumper and a very thick dressingown I could not keep on in our last house. Until a couple of hours ago the cold was causing me a great deal of pain.

I don't know how you mange with just putting a sweater on.
  • panika
    panika Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Today I have put on my oil filled rad., except storage heater in the hall. I live in one bedroom flat (with other flat surrounded mine from bottom, top and both sides).

If you want a thermometer try Argos or get it form Ebay. I got mine as Xmas present. During last week it shows 4-5C outside and 18-19C inside flat.
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    My hubbie put the upstairs heater on yesterday but I have turned it off as it is too hot.:rotfl:I have sun streaming in through the windows and I just vacuumed the whole house so that warmed me up.
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • mrsr
    mrsr Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Went on low this morning then off as soon as the sun came through the windows.Grand children staying tonight so will go back on till about 9pm.

The thermostat is on 12c the living room is 20c which is comfortable although I do have thermals on,upstairs is chillier but we are soon tucked up in a warm bed
  • Hoipolloi
    Hoipolloi Posts: 663 Forumite
    Options
    Ours is very definately on.
    :staradmin: June NSD's 2/19:staradmin: Sealed Pot #460 :staradmin: £/day £185 saved :staradmin: W.S.C 2015 #45 :staradmin: F.P. 2/24 months :staradmin:
  • chickens11
    Options
    woke up to a very sharp frost this morning -2 , had the heating come on the timer at 6 this morning , house was lovely and warm to wake up to, although even on freezing nights are cant sleep with the window shut ......
    Ive been out all day to day and I lit the fire at tea time when I come home , so its all cosy now and the cinnamon candles are burning nicely......
    My motto is " one life live it ".....:)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am sure it has been said in the last 581 pages of this thread, but I have a programmable thermostat. When you are getting ready for work in the morning 16 degrees is fine. When you are sitting watching TV at night you need about 20. Not sure how much money it saves but must be a bit. I think in the future houses will use more zones to save energy. Do you need bedrooms heated all day or would an hour in the morning and 3 in the evening be fine?
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree, upstairs is always warmer (I guess heat rises ;)) and my thermostat is at the bottom of the stairs, which is cool. So I turn the upstairs radiators down low.

It's a good idea to heat the rooms you use, of course, but the rest of the house needs an airing now and then...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nurse Maggie - if you give AgeUK a ring they will send you some winter information and a little card thermometer for free. If you ask for a home visit they could also tell you about things you can get for the house (rented or not) such as extra insulation etc.and any additional benefits which you might be missing out on. They really helped my Dad.
    I think this service is available for anybody over 55. Hope that helps.
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • dawn_rose
    dawn_rose Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bit of both today its about 18/19 degrees but it could be any temperature as I currently have my own temperature going on thanks to some bug.
    Jan 2015 GC £267/£260
    Feb 2015 GC /£260
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport