PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• pixie__girlie
    Options
    I'm curious, if anybody has an indoor thermometer, what temperature is your house first thing in the morning before your heating comes on?

Ours goes down to 9 degrees and this seems a bit scarily low.

Don't want to have heating on over night though as that would seem wasteful...
  • chickens11
    Options
    Pixi girlie...It doesnt matter what temp your house go down to of a night because your warm in your bed.......I walk past my thermostat on the way to the loo during the night , and normally my temp go down to 15 degrees.......
    Cold one again today and so damp and grey , got my fire alight now so its so nice and cosy.....
    My motto is " one life live it ".....:)
  • lucywillow
    Options
    I'm curious, if anybody has an indoor thermometer, what temperature is your house first thing in the morning before your heating comes on?

Ours goes down to 9 degrees and this seems a bit scarily low.

Don't want to have heating on over night though as that would seem wasteful...

Our digital thermostat is 16 or 17 degrees at the moment when we get up at 5:30am. We also don't have the heating on at night and never heat the house to more than 19 degrees during the day.
    9 degrees does seem very cold but I guess it depends where in the country you are & type of house etc.
    HTH:)
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Never have the heating on at night and it's set to come on before I get up so I've no idea what temp it goes down to. Blooming cold though, I reckon! Been baking and putting up dec's today so no heating, I worked up quite a 'glow' by mid morning :)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    Sitting here with thermostat set at 22C and it is very comfortable, we have the heating on from 09.30 until 21.00 everyday, dear knows how much it will cost but our winter fuel allowance will help soften the blow.
    We have been given a chart with a thermometer on it by our our council indicating levels of suitable temperatures, not wanting to alarm you but they say 16C is bordering on dangerous for older folks! But hey I guess you folks are a bit younger than us.

It's such a personal thing isn't it, 22c would be too warm for me but just right for others! It goes to show we all have our own levels for comfort. I suppose a lot also depends on where you are, the type of house you live in and your day-to-day activity levels etc.

Thankfully my home is very well insulated and holds heat well. I'm also sure we get some benefit from our lovely neighbour who's housebound and always has her heating full blast. Bless her :o

Our in-out thermometer is reading 4c for outdoors and 19c for indoors :eek: The central has clicked off but I have the oven and washing machine on.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    chickens11 wrote: »
    LYNNEJK......Do be careful with using a lot of electric heaters, I know youve got storage heaters on the night rate , but the 2 rads on over a period of time will add up, go on the Energy thread and ask people on there what they cost , as theres some very savvy posters on there ....
    Very cold here today , had the GCheating come on timer at 6 am, ive just lit the fire and its beautiful and cosy , dawg in usual place, im going to have cod with new potatoes for tea in front of fire.......
    Thanks for your concern chickens :)

I have already checked on the Sust-it site. I only have two and they have thermostats on them and I have them set at 400 watts each, which is plenty for us, at a maximum of seven hours a day atm.

It seems they will cost me around £10 a week, and of course that will drop when the spring arrives and I am away for most of the month of March.

Just wish I still lived in my house with a coal fire - warmest winters I ever had.

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday
    Lx

:xmassign:
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    It feels cold today, I'm just warming myself up with a cup of tea and I have the tumble dryer on which helps a bit.
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The CH is on a timer for 4 hours a day with the HW.
    1 hr early morning and 3 hrs early evening. Off most of the day unless it is realy cold like yesterday.

Today, I have the slow cooker on so will have delightfull smells all day.
    The slow cooker also gives out a small amount of heat = just try touching the side = ouch!

When in the sitting room, I light some candles as it gives off that "homely feeling". Looks nice anyway.

Have a keep moving day.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Nordman
    Nordman Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    We got our house fully insulated last winter and it really is amazing the difference! Looking forward to another snug winter.
  • southantrim3
    Options
    Our gas central heating has just gone down from £65 per month to £39 per month - must be bacuse of the milder weather this year :j.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback