PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    On, with the timers, which I have tweeked to come on earlier and for longer as it's getting colder.

I also have the bedroom Rad on now, but keep fanning on with switching it on and off depending on how hot/cold I feel.

I can't decide if it's better to just have it on constant when i'm in and awake now , rather than on and off with the timers, due to folk here saying that works out cheaper....lots of conflicting opinions.....decisions decisions.....
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    I need my heating on all day as I'm disabled and sedentary. I recently changed my supplier on the suggestion of the MSE 'Cheap Energy Club', just got my first months bill and the cost is up 30% on my previous supplier. It's an estimated bill so I'll be phoning them on Monday to give them a reading. Not happy, a third is a huge amount so I've a feeling I should have left well alone.

The same thing happened with us when we switched but after giving a meter reading they gave us a refund so hopefully it should be the same for you.
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    No heating on here at the moment. Temp in the LR is 16.7 degrees and have my onesie on and a blanket over my legs.

Just got my combined gas and electric bill in for December and the bill is £112! :eek: I didn't think we had used much but seems our electric usage has gone up as only used 499.06 units (or whatever they are of gas) which was the same as our November usage.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got my combined gas and electric bill in for December and the bill is £112! :eek: I didn't think we had used much but seems our electric usage has gone up as only used 499.06 units (or whatever they are of gas) which was the same as our November usage.

We pay our bills on DD, and our monthly oil bill is £110, and electricity is £177. You're lucky in the UK as you can change your providers, but here we have a choice of MEA or MEA!
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    We pay our bills on DD, and our monthly oil bill is £110, and electricity is £177. You're lucky in the UK as you can change your providers, but here we have a choice of MEA or MEA!

Wow! I am going to stop complaining about my bills for electric and gas now........slinks off...........
  • Antwerpen
    Options
    Heating is still off :)

My DD has decreased from £63 to £38 pm and I am £169 in credit :). £15-Electric and £23-Gas. I actually want to decrease my gas, not sure if I am able to.

There is only me and my DD and we live in a mid floor flat, so my neighbour heats my flat :). We're also out of the flat 7.20-4 Mon-Fri, when I am at work..(34 week contract).
    Debts CC1 1424 // CC2 1836.65 // CC3 [STRIKE]973.40[/STRIKE] 823.70 // CC4 [STRIKE]609.05[/STRIKE] 459.04 // Very [STRIKE]422.25[/STRIKE] ah now 533.53 :(
    Total [STRIKE]7036.54[/STRIKE] 5076.92 :eek: !!!
  • robgoingcrazy
    Options
    Bubble-wrapped-street-8.jpg#bubble%20wrapped%20%20%20480x321

Only using central heating to dry washing once a week, otherwise using my fan heater on and off, seems that's what works for me, will check my bill predict in due course.

Today I thought back to the above post as I found a use for my leftover bubblewrap, amd not sure how effective it has been as extra insulation, though not doing any harm I guess, but with the coping stones missing from my garden wall, and unable to currently resolve the situation with the owner of the unoccupied house the wall borders, the bubble wrap came in handy for protecting the wall from the elements for the time being:

DSC_0262.jpg

Maybe I shall set a trend, and start on the rest of the garden and house soon! :T
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    No heating on here and hasn't been on for a few days. I said to DD I had turned it up last week as it felt a bit damp upstairs and after about 30 mins I asked her to go and turn it down..........she came downstairs (remote control in our room) and was laughing and saying 'you call that putting the central heating on, it was set to 15 degrees'! I asked her what she had turned it down to and she said 12, she is learning fast that girl :rotfl:
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you 115K that's exactly what's just happened :)

I've kept it to about 18 these past few days as it's been so mild. Hoping we don't get another cold spell like last weeks for a while
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine is most definitely on this morning as its brass monkeys out there and a thick white frost.I too am slightly disabled and can't run around to keep warm and I may be frugal with most things but I can't bear to be cold.My bills are too bad at the moment and I keep a close eye on them,but as my house is very well insulated and I have an 'A' rating for energy(my son-in-law is a surveyor and did my house for energy measures a couple of years ago) I am happy to keep it warm, when the weather gets chilly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback