PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• robgoingcrazy
    Options
    Still using my fan heater now and then.

Am slightly puzzled by my British Gas billing - my bill predictor was always showing me predicted bill from period 8th Oct to 8th Jan, so I submitted my formal meter reading on 8th Jan and got an email saying they don't expect a meter reading as no bills are due? Looked in my account and still no bill and my balance is still full?
  • seemasfriend
    Options
    Since having woodburning stove installed in kitchen living room, we have hardly had the CH on. As someone said earlier " only when visitors come" We have a free supply of wood so it makes sense to heat the place this way. We do have to cut and transport it ourselves but its good exercise and we would be doing the trips to my sons place anyway. Looking forward to greatly reduced bills this winter
    GC Feb £95.45/£100
  • smssms
    smssms Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    OFF at the minute as it happens...
    Would you say that to a stranger's face in the street? No? Then why type it on a forum?
  • dp1
    dp1 Posts: 1,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have my heating on 'auto' through the week when we're at work /school/college and it's set to come on at 2.30pm so the house is nice and warm when we come in. Eldest DD was at home today and I forgot toleave it on for her when I went to work - If we're in through the day I've been leaving it at 17 degrees and I've found it's no more expensive then switching it on and off.
    Anyways, when I came in I noticed she'd put the hot water switch on......'oh I thought it was the heating' she said 'I was freezing.'
    Apparently, she had felt warmer after putting the hot water on even though the heating was still off! Teenagers......
  • robgoingcrazy
    Options
    I'm a bit disappointed with my money saving effort.

I don't seem to have got a bill from British Gas after freezing myself at times to stay under the amount I prepaid into my account, my bill predictor is now showing period 8th October to 2013 to April 8th 2014 and a predicted bill of over £500. I've not received any notification to send a meter reading or anything.

You'd think a company this big would be able to get its accountants and web developers to work together email about to be sent. :o :mad:
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I need my heating on all day as I'm disabled and sedentary. I recently changed my supplier on the suggestion of the MSE 'Cheap Energy Club', just got my first months bill and the cost is up 30% on my previous supplier. It's an estimated bill so I'll be phoning them on Monday to give them a reading. Not happy, a third is a huge amount so I've a feeling I should have left well alone.
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    Had the GCH timed to come on at 6 am, turned it off once the sun come up in our south facing large windows, did light the open fire at 4 ish , at least its free fuel for the fire , so hope also to be able to keep the bills down, they read both metres other day so I will soon see what ive use in the past 6 months.......It should be ok ........

But I expect we will get some snow in Jan/Feb where we will have to have the heating on all day.....
  • robgoingcrazy
    Options
    I got half a text message from British Gas, which kind of half explained things, but my bill is now sorted, I was £12 under the prepaid amount in the end, so got my bill down from well over £250 to about £218 combined gas and electric for the quarter.

I timed the fan heater and it takes about 15 minutes to warm my living room, I left it on all day Sunday, and it actually ran about 45 seconds every 10 minutes and really didn't use much energy at all, whereas if I use the central heating it pretty much belts out constantly.

No heating so far since I got in from working, I made a super hot curry instead :eek:
  • miss-scrimpy
    Options
    Nope, no heating what so ever! Yes you can see your breath when you are talking haha but although being a bit nippy I haven't had any colds/flu's etc for a LONG time where as when I used to have CH I always did?? xx
  • hopps
    hopps Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Got up this morning to find OH had turned the heating on,I didn't moan at him it was icy out and it was nice to get up to.Off now and it will stay off ( I hope)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback