Zoverstocks

Options

Comments

• nmjams
    nmjams Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been buying a lot of second hand CD's off Play and Amazon over the last few weeks, i cant believe how cheep they are, but one seller kept coming up tops all the time and beating the next seller by just 1p and that was Zoverstocks.
    I decided to give the other sellers a shot. So from now on my CD's will cost me an extra penny, so what still a few quid cheaper than buying new :cool:
  • squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    i believe zoverstocks may have moved some or all of its operation to Guernsey now, can't blame them really because Play.com itself and many other companies have already done it to avoid the crippling U.K. taxes. I don't know if this means it will take an extra day or so longer to receive items ordered, typically it seems to take about a week to receive items ordered from zoverstocks at the moment. But by paying an extra penny to a smaller trader or individual actually based in mainland Britain I have been getting the item within 3 to 4 days if they are on the ball enough to post it out within a day or two of the order.
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • squack
    Options
    sadly i think you can complain as much as you like but nothing will happen, Play.com and Amazon make a fortune in fees from this seller, if you look at it a different way zoverstocks isn't the problem, it's other sellers who are setting their prices too low in an attempt to compete with this penny pinching monster, not realising that zover will always win the price war ... i have bought music dvds from a company on play called fasterstocks recently which was 2p more than zoverstocks but they gave away a 5p coin with the sale, and the item came within 2 days (and no i don't work for them)
  • squack
    Options
    i see that zoverstocks feedback rating on playtrade has slipped down to 95%... mainly due it appears to items' condition not fulfilling customer expectation or slower than anticipated delivery. The "3-4 days" they claim in their delivery details is doing them no favours, because in my experience at least they rarely achieve this at the moment. They obviously have a lot of orders and i'm in no great rush for my items personally but in this internet age the customer wants their item yesterday; and zoverstocks are getting hammered on their feedback because of this over optimistic claim of 3 to 4 days.

On a side note, if enough disgruntled customers leave them a negative and their feedback drops below 80%, then Play will have to kick them off the site
  • squack
    edited 3 March 2011 at 12:56PM
    Options
    RoAndy wrote: »
    Could possibly be bad timing on his part. I cant post a link but there is an article in todays TIM saying the government may be about to close this tax loophole.

some items are still coming from Stockport, i think maybe they are selling the more expensive items from their channel islands lair to save money.

there certainly seem to be a lot of people gunning for this company!

not just on here, but all over the web

why? because their pricing policy goes against the British sense of fair play

their penny cheaper philosophy is executed with military precision and the little guy is getting crushed

it's just not cricket chaps, sort it out
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    squack wrote: »
    some items are still coming from Stockport, i think maybe they are selling the more expensive items from their channel islands lair to save money.

there certainly seem to be a lot of people gunning for this company!

not just on here, but all over the web

why? because their pricing policy goes against the British sense of fair play

their penny cheaper philosophy is executed with military precision and the little guy is getting crushed

it's just not cricket chaps, sort it out

hold on there. They are a business. I would suspect that a lot of people angry at them are those who are just trying to flog off their personal collections to get a few quid in their pocket - free up space.. You would start selling apples in the vain hope of competing with Tesco would you?
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • squack
    Options
    hold on there. They are a business. I would suspect that a lot of people angry at them are those who are just trying to flog off their personal collections to get a few quid in their pocket - free up space.. You would start selling apples in the vain hope of competing with Tesco would you?

as a matter of fact i have planted my own orchard with over 30 trees so yes I can beat Tesco hands down on the price of their tasteless wax coated imported apples!

Imagine if every item on every shelf in Tesco had an electronic shelf edge label which checked the price of Asda, Lidls etc every hour and undercut them on every item by a penny. Within a few weeks we would only have one supermarket to choose from and that would be just great wouldn't it
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    hey thats life. As i said most people putting stuff up to sell through play and amazon are not doing it as a business.. Theres always ebay too and other mediums..
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    I have sold on Amazon Marketplace and ebay. You are shoulder to shoulder with small businesses, that's part of the territory: they have as much right to be there as you do.

It is irritating to be undercut by the bulk sellers who sell enough to pay the monthly fee rather than per item, and it does spoil it a little. But at the end of the day people are doing nothing wrong if they undercut you.

I've never managed to sell anything (that has been) popular on marketplace, even without zoverstocks there are so many other people trying to do likewise you don't get a good price.
  • chance1000000
    Options
    of course they have as much right as everyone else, but its the automated thing that I am getting at, everyone should be treated as equills and he must compete like the rest of the people that pays the 20quid subscription fee....its not business, its either everyone gets one of these automated programmes and totally wreck and humiliate play and amazons sites with glitches and ending up being an online pound shop or the alternative is to stop the automated programme altogether so everyone is treated fairly and can compete as a business....yeah zoverstocks can stay and as a right to but his automated programme must be banned...obviously some (not all) of you dont seem to see the point that i am trying to make...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure