Zoverstocks

Options

Comments

• squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    I think they would say they have great confidence that their business is top notch, they have 96% feedback rating on Play and 97% on Amazon, it won't be long before they are up to ONE MILLION feedback comments on Amazon, as a trader you know that only a fraction of sales result in feedback so you can imagine the scale of their turnover, in terms of size if zoverstocks was a saint bernards dog, a guy sitting at home with a few boxes of dvds or cds for sale is like a flea on it's back.
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 16 February 2011 at 10:10PM
    Options
    rstubbs1 wrote: »
    How do they make money selling CDs for 1p on Amazon? After deducting Amazons fees, they can't make enough to cover the postage. Especially if they're buying them through Music Magpie in the first place, who seem to offer a minimum of 30p per CD to sellers.

I reckon I can't make any money selling my own CD's for less than £1.00 on Amazon. If a CD is worth less than that, I sell it to Music Magpie and they seem happy to pay 30p for it.

They make money on the 1p CDs.

They get £0.99 from Amazon, plus probably they can claim the 4p Vat back as well, so £1,03. 2nd class postage for a standard CD is 0.81p and that is before any discounts from royal mail for bunk mail.

I'm going to assume they use a product like Royal Mail Packetpost as they post so many items, that brings the cost down to 55.2p per item, add on 10p for packaging (a bit on the high side) and they can clear the 30p they paid Mr average Jo for the CD, abit only by 7/8p per item.

*gets coat*

A lot of the money they get though comes from selling items for £3/£4 and getting away by paying £1 for them, or the rare £10+ item getting away by paying £3 for them.
  • squack
    Options
    i think after allowing a few pence per item to cover the wages of the member of staff picking it, plus the other overheads involved with running their warehouse, that 7 or 8 pence is pretty much wiped out but agree with everything else Kite 2010 says
  • gamez-over
    Options
    You have to hand it to them, they have a cracking business model!! However I too feel the pain of all of you that have been undercut by them on Amazon or Play. I think the fact that they rip people off with their prices !!!!es me off the most!! I've had a look at the prices they offer!! Absolutely shocking!!

Just a shame that there isn't a site out there that can offer people more for their money!!
  • chris58_2
    Options
    sellerengine.com/support/help/price-items/automatic-repricing

follow the above adding www. It may be of interest as its the automatic repricing programme. cant see why you all cant use it. Hope its of some help.
  • chance1000000
    Options
    I agree with you gamez-over, they have a good business model but is it fair to rip people off, I did it once on his site and typed in 10 normal ds games, nothing rubbish like fifa 07 etc just decent games that I sell and I could trade them all in for just over £11 thats like £1.10 per game, I typed in some rare games and they were giving £4-£5 then I looked and they were selling for £20..I think it is good business but disgusted at the same time and it prooves how stupid a lot of the public are actually accepting these prices, I still would fancy trading standards to look into it has I am very sure that he cant sell the same item on multiple sites unless he actually had those quantities, if he is a big as it looks then he would be buying out amazon and play.com by now, it will faze out eventually as hopefully he will want to aim higher....I have looked at my listings and I can drop him on about 1000 listings and sell for £2 each as I picked them up for 50p so I can play at his game and still make money but I am not as stupid and pathetic as he is.....

also thanks chris58 I will have a look at that maybe I can just place that on the 1000 or so listings that I can afford to drop big time and not on all the rest of listings I have
  • squack
    Options
    I have just purchased a CD from Oxfamhub on playtrade. Needless to say, Zoverstocks had even undercut this charity seller by a penny. I paid the extra 1p in order to support the charity but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth that Zoverstocks would stoop so low
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    squack wrote: »
    I have just purchased a CD from Oxfamhub on playtrade. Needless to say, Zoverstocks had even undercut this charity seller by a penny. I paid the extra 1p in order to support the charity but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth that Zoverstocks would stoop so low

Automatic pricing software doesn't care if it's undercutting another company, a private seller having a clear-out or even a charity.
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rstubbs1 wrote: »
    How do they make money selling CDs for 1p on Amazon? it.
    By charging #2.80 for something that costs under 50p to send
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • squack
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Automatic pricing software doesn't care if it's undercutting another company, a private seller having a clear-out or even a charity.

I think Oxfamhub maybe also using auto pricing software and getting into a war with zoverstocks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport