Zoverstocks

Options

Comments

• biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    joanne_d wrote: »
    Hi RobertR.

The title of your thread caught my eye as i have bought from Zoverstocks quite a lot lately.

I use Amazon quite a bit and over the past few weeks have spent a fortune with Zoverstocks...

I've used them quite a lot because they are cheap and have delivered the goods. I do look around, but I look at the descriptions and conditions, and feedback scores too. When there's a number of sellers similarly cheap, I don't just go for the first on the list.

Some sellers seem to go off their own interpretation of condition that is way out from the Amazon guidelines.
  • Mogs198
    Options
    I am a seller on PlayTrade and not only have to compete with 50p and 5% of my earnings going to Play but am now being continuously undercut by Zoverstocks. I understand that it is a clever concept but I don't think it is morally right. Not only do they buy dvds and cds from people (music magpie) at ridiculously cheap prices not helping them in the slightest but they then have the cheek to tread all over the individual people out there trying to make an honest living. I can't afford unlike Zoverstocks to sell dvds at such a low price. They to me are in the same boat as a)tesco's and b)the banks. They just like to kick you while you are down. It is about time someone did something about it. Anyone up for a good old protest?
  • squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    Mogs198 wrote: »
    I am a seller on PlayTrade and not only have to compete with 50p and 5% of my earnings going to Play but am now being continuously undercut by Zoverstocks. I understand that it is a clever concept but I don't think it is morally right. Not only do they buy dvds and cds from people (music magpie) at ridiculously cheap prices not helping them in the slightest but they then have the cheek to tread all over the individual people out there trying to make an honest living. I can't afford unlike Zoverstocks to sell dvds at such a low price. They to me are in the same boat as a)tesco's and b)the banks. They just like to kick you while you are down. It is about time someone did something about it. Anyone up for a good old protest?

well yes there is no doubt the Play Trade fees are pretty high, at the end of the day they are providing a service where a lot of potential customers are browsing the website, although I wouldn't be surprised if zoverstocks and other big sellers pay a lower percentage (i could be wrong there).

To many people Music Magpie is a useful service, a lot just want rid of dvds they have watched and CDs are very old technology now, there is still a thriving re-sale market for CDs though particularly with the more middle aged type customer who are happy with the format, Music Magpie are obviously doing well from it, even having enough spare cash to sponsor a football team!

I do think that if on the Playtrade and Amazon Zoverstocks were called MusicMagpie then there would be a bit of a backlash, as a faceless internet entity nobody knows how much product they are shifting, however as far as the customer is concerned they are giving the cheapest price fair and square, the always 1p cheaper philosophy is a piece of marketing genius, and there is no point moaning about it
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
  • Mogs198
    Options
    squack wrote: »
    well lets face it zoverstocks is in the same league as the money for gold type people, their music magpie adverts on day time tv encouraging the terminally skint to flog their cd and dvd collections for a fraction of the original value, and re-selling each item for maybe ten times? the amount through various online market places, a good business model and very commendable for the recycling aspect but when linked with the undercutting of all other sellers on Play trade etc its not surprising that there is resentment out there, truly they are the Tesco of second hand cds and dvds

You were moaning also. Just thought I would point that out ;)
  • NiallB
    NiallB Posts: 730 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I suspect that as this is a moneysaving site, many users will have been happy to take advantage of zoverstocks.

I suspect this thread has drummed up some business for them too.

If the OP actually works for them, then I salute him as a marketing genius :D
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    Mogs198 wrote: »

that is exactly what the owner of the business is trying to do too.. If they can managed to undercut their competitors then good for the owner - shows his business model is working.

Exactly what can you do about it? Its legal and people will ALWAYS go for the cheapest price available whether its supermarkets or online..

Try selling via some other medium if your business is not working on playtrade
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • squack
    Options
    nobody has advocated anything fraudulent. It is up to Zoverstocks to set their own prices. If people choose to buy their items for sale when they have slashed prices with their market dominating strategy, that is up to them. SHAME ON YOU MSE
  • mobile48
    mobile48 Posts: 745 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2011 at 2:12AM
    Options
    squack wrote: »
    well lets face it zoverstocks is in the same league as the money for gold type people

Disagree the money for gold type people never give you more than an item is worth and never sell it for less than it is worth.
  • squack
    Options
    mobile48 wrote: »
    Disagree the money for gold type people never give you more than an item is worth and never sell it for less than it is worth.

that's because there is a generally agreed although fluctuating exchange rate for gold, after all a dvd cd or blu-ray is just a couple of pieces of plastic and a sheet of paper so it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for the entertainment provided by playing it, Magpie pay about 10p to 30p for an average CD i believe, up to a few pounds for the more desirable ones, if they drop their price to beat all the other sellers and sell it as Zoverstocks for the minimum 99p on Playtrade or £1.26 on amazon (including postage), then they have covered the postage but not made a profit, most of their items go for more than that however. So I wouldn't say they ever pay more than an item is worth, no. They thrive on the consumer who buys the item then sees it as having little value once they have enjoyed it. Good luck to them I say, we need MORE companies like Zoverstocks on Play and Amazon rather than just the one
  • Mogs198
    Options
    Well I won't be rolling over and letting them win.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thinking[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]f you think you are beaten, you are
    If you think you dare not, you don't,
    If you like to win, but you think you can't
    It is almost certain you won't.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out of the world we find,
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]If you think you are outclassed, you are
    You've got to think high to rise,
    You've got to be sure of yourself before