Fast4/V21/Biscit (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Just_Looking_3
    Options
    islecastle wrote: »
    Capt slog,
    I only upgraded(?) very recently to option 3 so that I could access Geoisp, so when I noticed that I was being billed for these calls (fortunately less than £1 to date), I emailed BT about this - they said that they could not discuss until my normal quarterly bill was issued - strange.
    So I started poking about in the Bt charges stuff, and eventually found a bit that said that internet calls were not included - no mention of any prefix numbers. I think that they must have rumbled the Geoisp number, and specifically disallowed it as a free call within option 3 and by the sound of it option 1.
    I think that the less publicity about 'dial pool' numbers the better!
    Whither next?
    Cheers, Dave
    Point taken. ;)
  • labp04
    labp04 Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I noticed a thread/post some time back saying that 1899/18185 calls billed at 0p/mn after initial charge with Geo and this is confirmed on Geo site. I've been using this without a (n obvious!) problem for about 3 weeks now. Seems too cheap really but was wondering if your BT Option packages allow for registering with 1899/18185 and if they dont wouldn't it still be cheaper to use Geo with 1899/18185 for occassional Internet log ons? Good luck!
  • islecastle
    islecastle Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    labp04,
    I have looked at 1899/18185 and they too do not allow internet calls - no prefix numbers mentioned. It may only be a matter of time before they rumble and ban Geoisp.
    It is doing my head in trying to work out whether or not to use 1899 etc. for normal phone calls and going for the cheapest BT option.
    Cheers, Dave
  • GuessWho_2
    GuessWho_2 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Just reading through here, thought i would give Geoisp a go through 1899

connected first time at 44kbps and browsing was quite good
    but you really know you're on dialup with over 300ms pings to https://www.bbc.co.uk and of course opening ebay pages which are a bit slow, but otherwise ok.

Then checked the billing on my online 1899 account and again, sure enough, just a 5p charge for the time online, just over 14 min.
    so it works ok through 1899 at the moment. Fingers crossed it stays that way :)

1899 invoice:-
    Date....... Time... Number called... Duration.. Amount

29-03-2007 20:01:11 02081149845 0:14:08 0.0500

the IPs allocated check out to

inetnum: 217.73.64.0 - 217.73.64.255
    netname: COULOMBNET
    descr: Coulomb Ltd
    descr: PROVIDER

inetnum: 217.73.64.0 - 217.73.79.255
    org: ORG-CL12-RIPE
    netname: UK-COULOMB-20001213
    descr: Coulomb Ltd
    descr: PROVIDER

their website is at http://www.coulomb.co.uk/products.html

but if you're going to make lots of separate calls, then at 5p a time it would add up and you might be better off signing up with someone.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there

Somewhere on this epic forum, I think, someone says that the 127 number is a number used by phone engineers to check dialup connection.
    It's always been engaged when I've tried it.

I can confirm Primus (Saver Option 2) have not charged me for using geoisp, at least according to my February bill.
    The geoisp calls are shown as London in the normal way.
    The March bill is due any day now, I'll keep you informed.

I have been looking at BB/phone packages and have noticed that some prefixes are getting longer, once it was 0870 numbers generally, but now you have e.g.0870180 (10p/min) and 08701322 (50p/min).
    One's a rip off, the other is even worse.
    Also in the T&Cs of one company it specifically states 01/02 national geographic voice calls only are free.

I also use 18185 to call mobiles, they state you cannot use it to connect to the internet, but last autumn I used it a few times when I had no connection from Biscit.All charged as connection fee + 0.5p/min.

THINKS:
    1 hour internet using 18185 6p+30p=36p
    Works out at approx 22hrs/month for £8 (Fast4 dialup fee) perhaps an alternative for very light users.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • islecastle
    islecastle Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    All good things come to an end, and it looks like this thread is going the same way. I've been following it from the beginning when I was with Flexi-surf (£5 a month except for the last 3 months when it was zilch). There has been some great posts here, and I have learned a lot.
    Cheers, Dave
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Yea,maybe this thread should be closed now.
    Biscit has crumbled,Fast4 lives on.
    The thread is far too long for anyone to read right through.
    I`ve been with it right from the start and hope I have contributed some useful imput and I`ll say once again what I said at the very start:
    Fast4 can`t be beaten for the price,now £7-99 monthly for unlimited dial-up.
    If the mouldy old Biscit hadn`t come along and ruined everything we might still only be paying Fast4 £4-99 a month.

Cheerio guys
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i cannot get the 127 number to work at all

what username/password do you use?

on another note alot of providers of free weekend/evening calls seem to charge for geographic ISP numbers. i know Pipex do after me telling my girlfriend she could dial-up for free with GeoISP!!
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    jertzy wrote: »
    Still waitin for my MAC code but only sent form off last week, you could try provisioning@biscit.net

Still waiting for my MAC code from V21/biscit or whoever they are now.
    Sent my form recorded delivery (mid feb), sent them an email, any ideas how to get a mac code out of them. Internet has been in decline over the last few days.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills