Options

Comments

• carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    speed-mail definitely dead now

my fast4 email addy still works :)

out of interest is anyone still able to connect using the 0808 9933127 number because some people suggested they could but i've tried it no end of times without success?!?!

i'm thinking of going over to geoisp for evening/weekends just need to set-up primus option 2 first!!!

it really is about time i've moved over to broadband though!!! lol
  • Just_Looking_3
    Options
    carpy wrote: »
    ...out of interest is anyone still able to connect using the 0808 9933127 number because some people suggested they could but i've tried it no end of times without success?!?!
    Yeah I do, I have my dial up options configured to keep on dialling automatically and I usually get connected after about 5 mins, if not then I try the other number - one of them always works even if I have to wait a little.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Spud & Exprog

I use Firefox and IE7 and I wouldn`t say there`s any difference in the speed, although of course, people claim different browsers are faster than anything MSN can produce.(lol)

A brief history of F4 payments,starting three and a half years ago,when I joined.
    £6-99 a month,crap service, crap connections.
    Goes up to £8-99 to add more ports to improve service.
    Jan 2005, £5 special offer to NEW customers,promotion lasted about 3 months then back to £6-99.(but all that signed up for £5,stayed on it)

When they wouldn`t reduce my existing payment from £8-99 to £6-99,I went with AOL for a free two months trial and then rejoined F4 at £6-99.

Start of last year they came out with a £4-99 offer but any existing customer that bothered to contact them was put on the £4-99 payment without any fuss.
    (this offer to get new customers makes me wonder if this is what the Biscit affair was all about
    building up a large customer base to sell off)
    This was about the time that E7even crashed and people were looking for cheap dial-up.

Hunter
    V21 email address has gone the same way as speed-mail
    dead,kaput,finished.
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah I do, I have my dial up options configured to keep on dialling automatically and I usually get connected after about 5 mins, if not then I try the other number - one of them always works even if I have to wait a little.

what other numbers do you get to work then because 025 and 172 endings definitely don't work because if you ring them you get a BT message saying these numbers are no longer in use.

with 127 i just get busy all the time!!!
  • Just_Looking_3
    Options
    carpy wrote: »
    what other numbers do you get to work then because 025 and 172 endings definitely don't work because if you ring them you get a BT message saying these numbers are no longer in use.

with 127 i just get busy all the time!!!
    I only use the two numbers .. 025 and 127 .. I leave my computer to dial for between 5 and 10 mins at most on one number before switching to the other, sometimes I get connected right away, but mostly I have to just leave my computer to re-dial. I always get a connection and I've noticed I don't get cut off after 2 hours, I get much longer. I've rang those numbers on my landline too and have had the pre-recorded message saying the service can no longer be reached .... but it still does.
  • REDCAT_4
    REDCAT_4 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using 08089933127 with varying success over the last two weeks.
    But do you think anone is going to bill us for the internet usage?
    Your thoughts would be appreciated folks!
    Thanks.
  • islecastle
    Options
    Redcat, me too. I've checked my BT online bill, and nothing appears for 0808 numbers, however, I notice the Geoisp calls ARE being billed. I am on Option 3 which is supposed to include all UK geographhical numbers. I asked BT about this and they said to query it when I get my paper bill. Incredibly, they said that they could not access my calls details until the next bill was made up.
    Beware if using Geoisp with BT.
    Cheers, Dave
  • Just_Looking_3
    Options
    REDCAT wrote: »
    I've been using 08089933127 with varying success over the last two weeks.
    But do you think anone is going to bill us for the internet usage?
    Your thoughts would be appreciated folks!
    Thanks.
    The 127 number uses dial pools... I copied this from Google......

"In a typical large-scale dial application, each network user has a terminal or PC with a modem attached. To access an application, the user places a call to a designated number and is connected to one of a group of auto-answer modems via a rotary. This group of modems is called a dial pool."

I think it means that we peeps who use the 127 number get shuffled along a line of modems that belong to the dial pool and the first one not engaged then connects us to the internet, my interpretation of it means that we don't have any ISP (obviously) so there is nobody to send us a bill, I also think that because it is a collective option.. ie. "The dial pool" .. that the networks pick up any cost for its operation. I hope I'm right because I quite like this free way of connecting to the internet. :D
  • Capt_Slog
    Capt_Slog Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    islecastle wrote: »
    Redcat, me too. I've checked my BT online bill, and nothing appears for 0808 numbers, however, I notice the Geoisp calls ARE being billed. I am on Option 3 which is supposed to include all UK geographhical numbers. I asked BT about this and they said to query it when I get my paper bill. Incredibly, they said that they could not access my calls details until the next bill was made up.
    Beware if using Geoisp with BT.
    Cheers, Dave

Following this, I've checked my online bill. I'm getting HAMMERED for these calls! I can't see anything in the BT website to say that the 0208 number is charged this way.

I'm on BT option1 (I think, I can't find a page where it actually says this!) and the call should be 5.5 for 1 Hour.
  • islecastle
    islecastle Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Capt slog,
    I only upgraded(?) very recently to option 3 so that I could access Geoisp, so when I noticed that I was being billed for these calls (fortunately less than £1 to date), I emailed BT about this - they said that they could not discuss until my normal quarterly bill was issued - strange.
    So I started poking about in the Bt charges stuff, and eventually found a bit that said that internet calls were not included - no mention of any prefix numbers. I think that they must have rumbled the Geoisp number, and specifically disallowed it as a free call within option 3 and by the sound of it option 1.
    I think that the less publicity about 'dial pool' numbers the better!
    Whither next?
    Cheers, Dave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family