Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Options

Comments

• familyhale
    Options
    hi, i am also in rented accomodation, so looking for a practical solution. i have a double glazed door which is glass on the top half and metal (looks like 2 double glazed sheets if you know what i mean) on the bottom. Is it possible to fit a cat flap in there? thank you to any helpful advice. x
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We fitted a cat flap through our wall yesterday & I'm not happy with it.
    We have a set of doubleglazed french doors, made up of four panels, two skinny static ones & the two doors. The skinny static ones are just under 19.5cm wide & the cat flap is just over 19.5cm (shame otherwise I guess it could have gone in the small static pane, which would have been much better).
    So my option is to have it in one of the large door panes.
    Can anyone recommend anyone local?
    I'm in Surrey (south east Surrey not that far from Gatwick)
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    According to the Jackson Joinery web site, Mr Walsh can also be contacted by email - julian [at] jacksonjoinery [dot] com.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Ignite
    Ignite Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, quick question for all of you who've had a flap fitted, plus our expert fitters. What level of insulation do you lose? My wife wants us to get one fitted into the bottom white panel in our door but I'm worried that it will be lead to the area near the door being far colder, and have so far resisted.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    RichyRich wrote: »
    According to the Jackson Joinery web site, Mr Walsh can also be contacted by email - julian [at] jacksonjoinery [dot] com.

Hi

Julian answers his emails quickly and I found him to be helpful

Thanks
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Zoeyk
    Zoeyk Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 22 September 2010 at 1:35PM
    Options
    markie1980 wrote: »
    Hi ggjones229

I'm from Sussex and have fitted quite a few cat flaps recently - I didn't realise how much demand there was for them!

Feel free to ask me for any advice (by pm if you prefer) and I'll see if I can help.

I live in Kent and am looking for a cat flap to be fitted into my back door which unfortunately, is a full double glazed frosted panel of glass.

Reading this blog has highlighted the extreme range of quotes being given from £90 through to £400. I am looking to get a professional job done at a reasonable charge but it's the reasonable charge which seems to be hard to determine!

Please get in touch if you can help!
  • Good
    Good Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 December 2012 at 10:38AM
    Options
    Confirm another bad experience with catflapfitter.co.uk (Text removed by MSE Forum Team), deposit taken, no work done, no answer to phone , email or registered post. This person, and his web site is a front to a fraud. Avoid
  • saz13
    saz13 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 December 2012 at 10:29AM
    Options
    I too have been conned by** of catflapfitter.co.uk. He took £200 as a deposit to buy glass that he then never fitted. I have had similar experiences to the other posters in that he failed to turn up 5 times and never answered my calls. When each time I finally did manage to speak to him, he came up with all sorts of ridiculous unacceptable excuses and managed to string me along for over 6 weeks. I have now reported him to Trading Standards and just hope that something can be done about him. I can't afford to lose this type of money and I don't want anybody else to either, he needs to be stopped.
  • catz28
    Options
    Please can I alert people to another dodgy company, namely Easy 24h Glazing. This company gave me a price of £195 + VAT over the phone for fitting a cat flap, however, when the guy came round to measure up I was told it was going to cost £260 + VAT - even though I had given them accurate measurements on the phone. I called them on the same day to cancel the job, as it was now too much and I was told that was fine. However, they have since used my credit card details (I had to give them my details at the beginning before they would come out to quote) for £325, even though the job hadn't been done!!! I have now called them a few times to try and sort out a refund back onto my card and all I have been met with so far has been total apathy and rudeness by the staff and especially by the so called Account Manager - they have not even been able to give me a reason as to why they put the payment through apart from the computer did it! However, the computer is not able to give me a refund back onto my card apparently and I now have to wait for a cheque to be sent - I am still waiting..... PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY
  • Guestybods
    Options
    I live in in Banbury (M40 J11) and want a cat flap fitted in my french doors ASAP. I have been quoted £270+VAT from a local glazier, but £90 seems far more reasonable!
    Any recommendations?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport