PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Options

Comments

• mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    burgers? They are quick and easy. Some seasoning, some people add an egg and breadcrumbs, I don't bother, just shape and cook under grill or I do them on the George Foreman grill. In a bun with lettuce and tomato,some homemade wedges or oven chips.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Pretani,

There's a thread with lots of ideas for using mince so I've added your thread to it so you can browse through the suggestions.

This thread may help with the chilli:

Chilli con carne recipe

Pink
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Pretani,

There's a thread with lots of ideas for using mince so I've added your thread to it so you can browse through the suggestions.

This thread may help with the chilli:

Chilli con carne recipe

Pink

I wish you wouldn't do that when I'm trying to add a link. :rolleyes:

It makes my post go all haywire............ :rotfl:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • PoisonIvy
    PoisonIvy Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mom makes what we call "Piggies in A Blanket", but it's not the sausages wrapped in bacon that's I've discovered go under the same name in the UK. It's a Russian / Polish / eastern European dish called "Halupki", cabbage leaves stuffed with a mixture of mince and rice and baked in a thin tomato sauce - maybe some natives here can confirm for me? Anyway, we had this a lot when I was a kid, and I am going to make a batch for freezing when I have a Saturday afternoon free. It doesn't look like it's all that quick, but it makes a lot.

Here's the recipe my mother (and grandmother) use:

HALUPKI

350F. oven, 60-90 mins or so
    Cooks best in large, covered roaster, makes about 30 piggies

1 large cabbage, cored completely
    1 lb beef and 1 lb pork, ground together only once (coarsely)
    1 stick (8 tbls) melted butter or margarine
    1 cup rice, uncooked
    1 medium onion, chopped
    three cloves garlic, minced (optional)
    6 cloves garlic, smashed (optional)
    1 large can tomato juice and 1 tbl. tomato paste
    or/ 4 cans tomato soup, diluted
    2 tbls. white vinegar
    salt'n'peppa to taste

Blanch cored cabbage until leaves loosen. I leave cabbage in water as I peel off the leaves with tongs. Have a colander nearby. Prep can get messy. Line roaster with unuseable outer leaves to prevent scorching piggies.

Parboil rice just until water begins to bubble. Drain rice and add to beef and pork, along with butter, onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

When using cabbage leaves, decide how large you want piggies. If you like a lot of cabbage, use a whole leaf, or cut in two. It's your preference. Trim hard, center vein to roll easier. Use about 1/8 cup of meat (like a small meatball amount).

Begin by folding edge of cabbage over meat, draping right and left sides, then roll (like an eggroll).

Place largest piggies atop leaves in roaster, very closely together. (I rarely get a second layer if the roaster is big.)

Season your tomato liquid with vinegar, salt, pepper and mashed garlic cloves. Pour over piggies, cover, and pop in the oven.

TIP: When using juice and paste, stir until paste is pretty well dissolved. You don't want a lump of it stuck on your piggies.

Baste piggies every 20 mins or so because top might char.

Serve with salad and a nice, crusty baguette or Tuscan bread for dipping.
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This reminds me of years ago when me and an also very skint mate had competitions going on how far we could stretch out certain items of food. We both had two kids with very healthy appetites, oh, and a husband each! Neither of us had huge incomes, in fact we did struggle a bit hence the cheapo recipes.

One week, we decided to do 'ten things to make using mince' and between us, we came up with a fair few options!

Here's our list as far as I can remember it...remember, these meals went down really well 30+ years ago...!!

Meat balls in gravy...we padded the mince out with chopped onion and fresh breadcrumbs (lots!) + an egg to bind.

Mince and potato pie...self explanatory really. Made with HM pastry and to be honest, far more spuds than mince!!

Mince and kidney pie...again, self explanatory. Kidney was very cheap in those days. Great flavouring...you can't beat it! Although, you could try a rather large splash of Guiness instead!

Shepherds (or cottage pie) We threw in every available vegetable with this..anything cheap and seasonal. I grew my own in those days.

Mince kebabs on skewers. The kids loved these...mainly mince with a bit of onion, egg to bind and some breadcrumbs. I always sneaked in a bit of pork sausage meat too..sounds awful, but it did taste good and the meat mix stayed on the skewers better. Flatten them a bit before grilling.

Mince and onion pancakes..again, sounds a bit weird, but the kids loved them. Make the mince mixture with tinned toms, a bit of onion, anything really. Sweetcorn is good and it looks pretty! Make the pancakes as usual, then serve with the cooked mince mix rolled up inside.

HM beefburgers...again, breadcrumbs played a big part in these plus fresh herbs, onions and egg to bind. Cook and serve with a big slice of cheese on top in a roll

Mini steamed puds. We used to make these in teacups (remember them??) Suet pastry lined cups with cooked mince mix inside topped off with a suet crust lid. Tie up with foil etc and steam for 40-50 minutes..lovely! I always added a bit of gravy to the mince mixture otherwise it was too dry.

Mince stew. We used to call this 'mince mess' in our family. Basically, mince chucked into a saucepan, browned off a bit then added ingredients like spuds, carrots, chopped onions etc etc etc anything you like really. Couple of stock cubes, tinned toms, bit of puree maybe...the choice is yours. VERY filling if served with dumplings.

And last but not least..mince in batter. Brown the mince off with some onion, pepper, herbs etc and place small amounts into one of those yorkshire pudding trays, the one that has room to bake 12 puds. Make up a batter as usual; put the tray into the oven to heat up, when hot enough (you'll have to judge this carefully..it could burn..) chuck in the batter as if you were making yorkie puds. Bake and serve up to your delighted kids with loads of veggies. 500gms of mince will make about 15-20 of these depending how mean you are with the mince.

Anyway, there were more, but I can't remember them. All the above can be adjusted with additional herbs, veges etc and all can be served with extra veg on the side. I didn't include anything with pasta because we simply didn't use it it those days. All I remember is the gunky stuff in cans!!

Anyone else think of any more mince recipes?

This has really inspired me. I love the idea of the suet puds in teacups - sort of edible goblin puddings (my gran used to love those) - would have to be served with chips and gravy.

This is a great thread - thanks for all the ideas.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 15,524 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I brought 3 packs of beef mince yesterday aiming to batch cook some lasagne's and cottage pies but while cooking tea my oven blew :( and I won't be able to get one for a few weeks. I'm going to miss the oven because I use it so much but I can cope because I've still got the grill, hob top and a slow cooker.

I now need to think of something else I can do with the mince I've brought, things I can cook on stove top or grill etc. So far I've thought of burgers and meatballs but as I they are not something I cook that often I don't have any set recipes in my head, so has anyone got a good recipe they would share or any other ideas. Open to any suggestions, I just want to make some stuff up with it that I can freeze to get out later and then just chuck in a pan etc to cook.

Thanks.
    [FONT=&quot]“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • sunflower76
    sunflower76 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Spag Bol
    Chilli con Carne
    Keema Curry
    Meatballs
    Burgers

Or you could fry up the mince, onions and veg and then freeze wothout a sauce. Then once your oven is working again you can add some gravy and put a mash lid on to make your shepherds pie.

I don't have time at the moment to add recipes but I'm sure someone will come along and point oyu in the direction of the Recipe Index or add recipes.
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Beefburgers

Mince
    Add onion (I fry mine first)
    Oats (I just guess amount)
    An egg
    Slug of Worcertshire sauce
    Salt & pepper

Form into burgers and freeze
    Bolognese

Fry mince till separated
    Add sliced onion, carrots and a few cloves of crushed garlic
    Drain off any excess fat
    Add large can of chopped tomatoes
    Good slug of tomatoe puree

Bring to the boil them simmer with lid on for 30 mins.

Eat with pasta or even rice

Can be frozen

Fry mince
  • madnotstupid
    madnotstupid Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    I use the same recipe for meatballs and meatloaf - all quantities are a guess cos I never measure anything.

500g mince
    1 onion
    2 slices bread
    teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
    1 egg
    1 rasher smoked bacon (if you have it)
    herbs and seasoning as you have

If you have a food processor - Zap the bread into breadcrumbs. Then put the onion, egg and bacon in the food processor and zap to a smooth-ish mush. If you don't have a processor - chop onion & bacon finely, grate the bread, whisk the egg. Mix all the ingredients together then roll into balls. Fry or Grill them for 10 - 15 minutes depending on how big they are.

I freeze them flat and spaced out on a tray then stick em in a box once they're frozen so I just take out what I need
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have a long thread of exciting mince recipes ;) I'll add this thread so that you can have a browse :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family