Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• ronpickering
    Options
    Just been back on to them via online chat expressing my desire to cancel, I've asked for them to cancel the whole package (TV/Broadband/Phone) as others have suggested, the operator told me if I cancel broadband and phone any day from today up to 14 days I could lose phone and internet and the action would not be reversible, then went on to say once the phone goes off it could take up to 6 weeks for reconnection and could cost £100.

I suspended the chat there, this throws a whole new light on the cool hand luke tactics of cancelling and waiting for them to come back with offers. How true is the info I've been given and how have others in this situation dealt with it?
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    Just been back on to them via online chat expressing my desire to cancel, I've asked for them to cancel the whole package (TV/Broadband/Phone) as others have suggested, the operator told me if I cancel broadband and phone any day from today up to 14 days I could lose phone and internet and the action would not be reversible, then went on to say once the phone goes off it could take up to 6 weeks for reconnection and could cost £100.

I suspended the chat there, this throws a whole new light on the cool hand luke tactics of cancelling and waiting for them to come back with offers. How true is the info I've been given and how have others in this situation dealt with it?

My previous advice applies - cancel and move to another provider... you said on your previous post about concerns over bad customer service / technical support.... I think you are worrying too much. I have been with plusnet for nearly a year now and never had any problems, many other providers are the same....

It'll be the best thing you ever do..

Sky love having you over a barrel like this with dependent discounts and different contract end dates, they do it on purpose to tie people in to the point where (as with you) they think "its not worth the hassle, i'll just stick as I am".

There are some great phone and BB offers around at the moment, I think they were featured in Martin's newsletter this week.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • Captain89
    Options

The 14 day part is a pure lie. Once you cancel a service from sky it takes 31 days for that service to be switched off. You'll have phone and bb for 31 days from the day you cancel and would be able to stop the cancellation during that time if nothing better comes up.

The part about line fees are true. Some companies will wave the fee but I highly recommend you have another Phone line service in place ready to take over if you plan to cancel that service. If I were you I'd leave the PL and BB for now and just cancel the TV package. You don't have to cancel all just for an offer on the TV.

When seeking a deal I've had more success with the phone CS over the online CS agents.
  • ronpickering
    Options
    My previous advice applies - cancel and move to another provider... you said on your previous post about concerns over bad customer service / technical support.... I think you are worrying too much. I have been with plusnet for nearly a year now and never had any problems, many other providers are the same....

It'll be the best thing you ever do..

Sky love having you over a barrel like this with dependent discounts and different contract end dates, they do it on purpose to tie people in to the point where (as with you) they think "its not worth the hassle, i'll just stick as I am".

There are some great phone and BB offers around at the moment, I think they were featured in Martin's newsletter this week.

The added complication here is that it's my partner's deal/service, I don't live with her, she is happy with the service.......I was just looking to get a better deal as everyone else seems to have without fear of getting broadband and phone cut off, haven't seen anybody else make reference to this
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just managed to get free broadband and half price line rental for a year with Sky, via their online chat. So for 12 months it will only cost £7.70 a month. Am really pleased with that.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2014 at 2:28PM
    Options
    ccdorset wrote: »
    I just managed to get free broadband and half price line rental for a year with Sky, via their online chat. So for 12 months it will only cost £7.70 a month. Am really pleased with that.

This may not be fixed, as there was a price rise around October/November,last year. (I'm assuming you have tv or there would be a £2.50 supplement on the free broadband.)
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I've got the TV Variety pack with them, so I think the free broadband is fixed for a year, but I understand if the line rental increases mine would go up slightly too. Still really happy with the deal though.
  • Sphynx
    Sphynx Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I phoned to cancel all my services with Sky yesterday (might have been day before). They offered me a deal of £60 something if I gave up movies and took away the multi room which I declined.
    Today I have had an offer via email for free line rental. I suppose I should just keep waiting until they offer me something off our TV package as well?? We have TV, BB and phone rental with them about £80 a month.
  • blisteringblue
    Options
    Be slightly careful with HD.
    I believe (Could be wrong) that the TV 50% dicount and credit with no contract deal is (Usually) only without HD.
    HD I think means a new 12 month subscription.
    My account which is currently 75% discount with £100 credit (December 2013) allowed me for a while to add HD for £1.25 if I wanted. Meant a 12 month contract though so if I did it in Month 4 of my 12 month deal I would be committing to paying full price for the TV for 4 months from Dec 2014.

Ours is similar, 75% off, but we took the HD there and then at the discounted rate knowing it would be a 12 month contract. Wasn't fussed though because the whole 12 months is at 75% off. Just gearing up to give notice at the end of October and start the games again :p
  • marco806
    Options
    just a heads up, i was off for 3 weeks after cancelling, negotiated 50 percent off tv and hd (both 12 months) via online chat and have been back on again for the last 7 days.

just got a letter from sky today saying come back to sky by 25-9-2014 and get 50 per cent off tv for 12 months.

everyone who cancels, hold your nerve. the offers are on their way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure