Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Kentuniversity
    Options
    shavy65 wrote: »
    On the subject of Broadband - For anyone wanting BT Sports, surely the latest BT deals are best. 12 month contract, £8 per month, BT Sports included....anyone found better?

The reason I ask is my first BT 12 month cantract is coming to an end next month so looking for best deal, obviously still keeping BT Sports. Any advice welcomed :)

P.S. There`s no Sky Broadband in my area. Anyway their current deal is free broadband for 12 months (18 month contract) which wouldn`t even be enough of a saving to cover the cost of paying for BT Sports.

Don't forget Plusnet.

I am currently paying just over £13 per month with them, which gives me free evening and w/end calls, unlimited b/band and line rental. For info, I paid my 12-month line rental up front and I got cashback via Quidco. The deal finishes in March. The good thing with Plusnet is that you can the the BT Sports channels for £5.99 per month on your Sky dish. I don't bother because I get Skysports for 50% off at the moment, which means I pay just over £21 per month.

HTHs.
  • shavy65
    shavy65 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 August 2014 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Their current offer is line rental at same price as BT £16 pm and bb for £2:50. Even with BT Sports @ discounted rate of £5.99 I`d still be worse off with them compared to BT.....just! Cheers though.
    3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun :beer:
  • xangex
    Options
    We've been with Sky for years and have the top package along with all the extra's..full TV package inc. sports and movies, phone, fibreoptic broadband, multiroom & HD!! The cost has been slowly creeping up and at the minute I'm paying £105 per mth!!! We've NEVER had any discounts/benefits from them in all the years we've been lining their pockets so today I rang them and threatened with leaving them!! They've now given me half price TV package for 2 years..my next bill will be £48 and £85 per month after until sept. 2016!! It's not a massive saving but a big result where my bank accounts concerned :):)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    xangex wrote: »
    We've been with Sky for years and have the top package along with all the extra's..full TV package inc. sports and movies, phone, fibreoptic broadband, multiroom & HD!! The cost has been slowly creeping up and at the minute I'm paying £105 per mth!!! We've NEVER had any discounts/benefits from them in all the years we've been lining their pockets so today I rang them and threatened with leaving them!! They've now given me half price TV package for 2 years..my next bill will be £48 and £85 per month after until sept. 2016!! It's not a massive saving but a big result where my bank accounts concerned :):)

You obviously didn't ask for any offers, as others get them after just a year.
  • Captain89
    Options
    xangex wrote: »

If you're gonna commit for the next 2 years you may as well take the sky sports 5 deal which gives you either 2 years free BB or 12 month 1/2 price fibre if you sign on for another 18 months.
  • dmarks
    dmarks Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Really annoyed with Sky! I had free phoneline for a year and when I cancelled my TV they said that the deal was 'linked' without telling me and have now stopped the free line rental deal. I get an error message on my 'offers' page. Luckily my line rental contract is up on 29th October so at the end of this month may have more negotiating power. Over £30 for phoneline and broadband!! They offered me 50% off TV with a contract and not allowed to make any changes to package but that with bb and phoneline is still over £60 a month!
  • Captain89
    Captain89 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2014 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Just a heads up that sky are still doing 1/2 price multiroom subs to new customers. You get a free MR box, free setup + potential quidco cashback.

http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/add-boxes-multiscreen/12mhp/?DCMP=AFC-47868&affiliate=true
  • Captain89
    Options
    dmarks wrote: »
    Really annoyed with Sky! I had free phoneline for a year and when I cancelled my TV they said that the deal was 'linked' without telling me and have now stopped the free line rental deal. I get an error message on my 'offers' page. Luckily my line rental contract is up on 29th October so at the end of this month may have more negotiating power. Over £30 for phoneline and broadband!! They offered me 50% off TV with a contract and not allowed to make any changes to package but that with bb and phoneline is still over £60 a month!

I'm not sure why sky don't have a universal rule for package changing. I've been on 1/2 discounts going on 3 years now. I must have changed my package 10+ times and never lost the discount either on the TV or other products that weren't directly linked( Free BB if you take sky sports).

I think the difference in contracts might be down to wether you went through online setup or phone setup. I know a few guys who subbed online to the base package then added more channel through quidco/TCB which when added together gave them sky free for 12 months. They might be trying to put a stop to that by not allowing those who subbed online to change their package and keep the discounts. Just a theory.
  • dipashah
    dipashah Posts: 419 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2014 at 5:08PM
    Options
    Woohoo!! So I have had a few missed calls from a number I suspected was Sky since last week. Finally the loyalty/winback team rang at a time I could speak. Success! In fact even better than last year which was my first year with them. Was paying £57 last year for Full TV (inc sports, movies and HD), broadband and line rental...told them to cancel everything last week as was increasing to £97 per month. They initially offered me 35% today which I declined. They then gave me 50% off TV. I requested 50% off line rental too and they said they couldn't do that but offered me £100 statement credit without me even asking! Taking into consideration the credit, that means my monthly payments come to around £45 per month! :) Over the moon! Thanks for your support guys! :)
  • Peco141
    Peco141 Posts: 319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just got a come back to Sky before 25/09/14 and get 50% off Sky TV and Broadband offer through the letterbox.

Only a month after by cancelling the full package and moving to Virgin. Too late Sky, you had your chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure