Cancer is a bastárd

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    So very sorry mate - she was far too young.

Take care and you know where I am
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am so sorry your loss.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Smiley
    Options
    My heart goes out to you Black pudding
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    I am very sorry to here of your loss.I lost my mum 11 years ago.Never a day passes without thinking of her.
  • Anniek1969
    Options
    I lost my mum to cancer 18yrs ago when she was only 51 and I still think about her every day. It does get easier and the good thing is that you have so many years of good, happy memories to think back on and through time these will be the memories you have rather than the last few months.

The most important thing IMO is to keep her memory alive, talk about her and the things you done together. I found that talking about her helped although a lot of people felt uncomfortable talking about her when I was there, but I needed people to remember her as she was before the illness. I only had my mum and dad for 18 years (he died 3 weeks later with a heart attack) but they were the most precious years of my life and i'm grateful for every day of those years. I wouldn't be the person I am now if I hadn't had them and I know how hard the first few months are but hopefully soon you will be able to look back and be happy for those memories.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.
  • bud-miser
    Options
    carly wrote:
    Theres nothing I can add to what has already been said. I am currently going through this with two family members and lost another earlier this year. we must continue the fight to defeat this disease. Hugs to all affected.

That's exactly my problem with this ghastly thing. It ISN'T a disease in the classical sense of it being something you can catch from others or the environment. It's a DISORDER - something going on internally where the body is, to all intents and purposes, attacking itself. Outside things - carcinogens - can provoke it initially but, as we all know, from there on it seems to lead a life of its own... a horrible life which imperils its 'host'.

As Carly says, we have GOT to track this thing down and kill it. The only amazing thing to me is that we seem to be leaving it to the charities of this world to do so. Typically British. Typically short-sighted, Thatcherite penny-pinching. There is a time and a place for 'money saving' and fighting cancer is neither. We should be devoting large amounts of our collectively-paid state dosh to see cancer off once and for all. It's time to get tough - we shouldn't allow this slaughter to go on any longer.
  • Fritha_2
    Fritha_2 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very much sympathy to you Black Pudding, I really don't know what else to say so I'll give you a big virtual hug instead.
    Comping, freebieing and trying to pay the mortgage off early!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    bud-miser wrote:
    That's exactly my problem with this ghastly thing. It ISN'T a disease in the classical sense of it being something you can catch from others or the environment. It's a DISORDER - something going on internally where the body is, to all intents and purposes, attacking itself. Outside things - carcinogens - can provoke it initially but, as we all know, from there on it seems to lead a life of its own... a horrible life which imperils its 'host'.

As Carly says, we have GOT to track this thing down and kill it. The only amazing thing to me is that we seem to be leaving it to the charities of this world to do so. Typically British. Typically short-sighted, Thatcherite penny-pinching. There is a time and a place for 'money saving' and fighting cancer is neither. We should be devoting large amounts of our collectively-paid state dosh to see cancer off once and for all. It's time to get tough - we shouldn't allow this slaughter to go on any longer.

sorry but I also think there is a time and place for that type of discussion (maybe in DT under another title ) right now its time to take care of Black Pudding in my opinion
  • joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have my heartfelt sympathy. This horrible disease robbed me of my mum 11 years ago and I miss her everyday. I'm also extremely angry that my dd never got to meet her nanna but I've been telling about her everyday since she was born.

take care of yourself
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • jasper12
    Options
    What can I say that hasn't been said before. My heart goes out to you at this time, try to take comfort and strength from all those around you and when it is offered, it is not a time to internalise your hurt and sorrow. I lost my mum 4 mths ago to cancer, the same age as your mum, and it is all still very raw.....no matter that you know it is going to happen it is still devastating when it does.

The thing that gets me about cancer is that so little can be done to treat it, my mum was just told basically, that she would be dead in a few months and there was nothing, absolutely nothing that could be done! I can't understand how, in this day and age, so little is still known about cancer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure