PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tenants not sticking to the rules

Options

Comments

• MDE
    MDE Posts: 163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just going back to the original point, if the tenant is there long term, which you imply he will be (I think) it would be realistic to expect to redecorate and replace/ deep clean carpets at the end of the tenancy. The deposit won't cover this- it would be wear and tear which you should be budgeting for anyway. Obviously if there were burns etc caused by smoking that would be a different matter.
  • QTPie
    QTPie Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly it is the way it is...

My Mum rented for a while (inbetween selling her house and buying a new one). I was there when she signed the lease and she claimed to be a "non smoker" (I raised an eyebrow).

When I helped her into the new flat, I said that she realised that she couldn't smoke there (she has always brought me up not to lie etc... :A ). She had a real go at me "how DARE you suggest that I would go against the lease, blah, blah, blah!".

Anyway, she only smoked on the balcony (it was a flat). Then within two weeks she sat just inside and stuck her hand out of the balcony door ("well it is November/December"). Within a month she would smoke in the kitchen with the hob extractor on. Within two months she was smoking everywhere and anywhere :huh:

Made me very annoyed (because she had had a go at me for me knowing her better than she does...).

People MAY have good intentions (or not!), but they rarely last... As a landlord, I think that you have to expect the worst really (I have known several people - friends and my cousin - who have rented properties to people who have spiralled into drugs.... now that left a LOT to clear up... )

QT
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    Pennylane wrote: »
    When I arranged the insurance on the house it asked whether smoking was permitted in the house and I said it was not.

It's in the contract too. There is a smoke alarm on the landing and it is just a one-bed property, so very small.

I can't see the point in putting things in a contract if people are saying you wouldn't be able to stop them. Things like No Pets, No Smoking, No children.

You can put whatever you like in the contract, but if its not legally permissable in that type of contract then you can't enforce it.

As far as ASTs go your tenant may have as many pets children and cigars in their home as they wish. You are free to evict them at the end of the fixed term if you like.
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you write him a letter giving him a warning telling him the implications if he continues to smoke?
  • madeupname1
    Options
    Seems to me that the problem with smokers / pets etc is not the fact of smoking and keeping the pet but the fact that it may well end up costing the landlord more in maintaining or restoring the propeprty. I would be happy to let out my property to a smoker / pet owner if they are willing to pay say 20% extra per month more to cover the cost, time and hassle of deep cleaning / redecoration / increased insurance costs. The problem is that most smoking / pet owning tenants don't want to pay a mark up representing the additional cost of their lifestyle preferring instead to make it their landlord's problem.

As smoking is not grounds for eviction, you will unfortunately have to put up with it. If it bothers you, issue a secton 21 notice now so that the tenants will be obliged to leave at the end of the fixed term. Or hike their rent substantially if they want to renew.
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    I would be happy to let out my property to a smoker / pet owner if they are willing to pay say 20% extra per month more to cover the cost, time and hassle of deep cleaning / redecoration / increased insurance costs.

Cleaning / redecoration is what the deposit's for,
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • althestan
    althestan Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    You can put whatever you like in the contract, but if its not legally permissable in that type of contract then you can't enforce it.

As far as ASTs go your tenant may have as many pets children and cigars in their home as they wish. You are free to evict them at the end of the fixed term if you like.

But it is permissible to include things such as no smoking, no pets, no children in a tenancy agreement. If the tenant does not comply then they are in breach of said agreement and the landlord can seek a court order to evict on Ground 12: tenant alleged to be in breach of tenancy agreement for reasons other than rent arrears. The LL would need to correctly serve a notice seeking possession giving 2 weeks notice. This is a discretionary ground so a Judge would need to be convinced that it was reasonable for the tenant to lose their home.
    The Tenant could try and argue that the no smoking clause is unfair under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. The Tenant would need to consider their limited security of tenure though.

Both parties have rights and obligations under the contract they have entered into. Enforcing those rights using the legal route is both expensive and inconvenient for both.
    Best course of action – LL has concerns, LL speaks with tenant explains concerns, hopefully reaches an amicable solution, everyone happy.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 August 2010 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Pennylane stated...

We let out a little place which is no smoking. We think the tenant is smoking there though and are really disappointed because it was all in the contract/agreed etc.

I...................

I'm beginning to think I must be oldfashioned or something because I could never sleep at night if I'd gone against the agreement.
    (Yup, read the rest of this thread...)
    Err,.. dunno but are you new to the lettings game>??? In my experience (As Landlord & tenant) tenants (and, sadly, some Landlords..) don't stick to the agreement they signed.

If you want (and need for peace-of-mind) tenants who religiously stick to the terms of the tenancy I fear you will be disapointed and should, perhaps, find another business.

If you don't want the tenant you'll know the legal remedies to remove them. Usually a gentle & polite verbal fixes most things, if not a gentle & polite letter even more things fixed, if not end the tenancy.

Cheers!

Lodger

PS The wife doesn't know I smoke either...
    PPS I wish I could announce I always stuck to all agrements I had made!!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Pennylane wrote:
    When I arranged the insurance on the house it asked whether smoking was permitted in the house and I said it was not.

If the house is let with the insurance being for a non-smoking property should Pennylane be more concerned the tenant maybe smoking inside the property and if so put a stop to it?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    If the house is let with the insurance being for a non-smoking property should Pennylane be more concerned the tenant maybe smoking inside the property and if so put a stop to it?

Pennylane stated she advised insurers that smoking was not permitted.. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. (cf. driving @ more than 70mph in UK is not permitted on public roads but, sorry to surprise you Rikki, people have been known to do 70mph+..)

Mind you, sending tenant letter advising of this / sending copy of insurance policy & pointing out they might have to pay for rebuild/refurnish if the place burns down... might gently prompt them to cease & desist.

Cheers!

Lodger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills