PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants not sticking to the rules

Options

Comments

• moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How would you like it if I came to your home and made demands on what you can and cannot do? Do you see yourself as somehow superior to your tenant?

Dramaqueen much? :eek: get a grip and stop putting words in the OP's mouth.
  • milliebear00001
    Options
    I can see wy you wouldn't want a tenant to smoke - it does get into everything (I can tell if my tenant neightbours next door are in their garden having a fag if my windows are open, and we are detatched!)

However...I do think it's slightly unreasonable to expect to control your tenants' lives, and to some extent this is one of the hazards of renting out a property. People smoke. You can't stop them. Tenants do all sorts of stuff you would rather they didn't or that you wouldn't, but at the end of the day, there's little you can do except evict and risk a void if it's immensely important to you. Or simply redecorate throughout, as cheaply as poss when they leave.
  • blackshirtuk
    Options
    Salz wrote: »
    The only time I haven't had a full deposit returned was the first house I rented when I left home - that was a house share with a friend, and the letting aqent took money off for damage to my friends bedroom.
    I have respect for the houses I live in, I just wish the landlords/ letting agents would respect me and treat me as an adult and an equal to someone who has bought a house. I am not a second class citizen even though that is how I am made to feel as a renter

Salz,
    you have become the victim of "horror story tenants". who have given all tenants a bit of a stigma.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2010 at 11:26AM
    Options
    I know the deposit is law and you are making a fuss about nothing because I have already said he has details of it.

Maybe the second sentence confused you, perhaps I should have then said "I am keeping 100% to the terms of our agreement, but I don't think he is." Meaning ... I agreed to provide him with a property to rent and supplied everything he asked for. He agreed to all the conditions and accepted that it was a No Smoking property.

You are also making stuff up to suit yourself. I have not been near his property since he moved in (which I have also made very clear but you are choosing to ignore). He asked me to sign and return a form and I did that and stayed outside and the smell of smoke was obvious.That was the only occasion and at his request.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Pennylane wrote: »

You are also making stuff up to suit yourself. I have not been near his property since he moved in (which I have also made very clear but you are choosing to ignore). He asked me to sign and return a form and I did that and stayed outside and the smell of smoke was obvious.That was the only occasion and at his request.

Perhaps they stand outside the property to smoke and that was why you could smell it?

Does he pay the rent promptly? If so he's a pretty good tenant in my book - would you rather have no smoke and no rent?
  • Salz
    Salz Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Salz,
    you have become the victim of "horror story tenants". who have given all tenants a bit of a stigma.

Maybe you are right - it doesn't help that I am currently renting on a 5 year oldish housing estate (still building - it's very large) which is rapidly turning into one of the most undesirable areas in the city. I actually feel sorry for the owner occupiers as they are surrounded by more and more social housing, and then there are people like us - the private tenants.

The easy way to tell the difference is owner occupiers make their front gardens look nice, and private tenants make sure the lawn is cut, but will not go to the expense of planting anything extra :D

At night before I go to bed I always look out of the bedroom window, and check on all the smokers having their last cigarette before bed - I can count 5 out the 10 houses I can see, and they are all renters
    Don't Panic - and carry a towel
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    ""I can count 5 out the 10 houses I can see, and they are all renters ""

thats why they can't afford to become home-owners....
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    clutton wrote: »

I don't wish to be a homeowner, a view that may well raise eyebrows on here as being a homeowner is almost seen as the holy grail of everything :D

I've been very very lucky with my landlord, I've had the odd text asking if I could please cut the grass as he passed the house yesterday and noticed it was a bit long it's a bit long and that's it :cool:

And repairs get done quickly.

I do think people over-react now, to everything, and I find it annoying that I look on Rightmove or wherever and a house that would be ideal for us says 'no children or pets' :wall:

I don't have a massive noisy messy dog, but all pets are just as bad apparently!

RE: Smoking - everywhere I've rented everyone has been made to smoke outside because I can't stand the smell and I don't want the kids exposed to it. OH has now given up altogether :D
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    clutton wrote: »

That looks like a huge assumption there Clutton - that all T's are renting simply because they can't afford to buy a property? I think you know that's not the case.:)
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    :cool:my tongue was firmly in my cheek there young tbs - just forgot to put a smiley in !

when i smoked - one of the many attempts i made to stop involved calculating how much i had spent since starting smoking in my teens.... suffice it to say a house could have been paid for with the money burnt in fags........

maybe thats why i finally ended up in property - dreams of mis-spent yuff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport