PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Milk

Options

Comments

• purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    I always freeze our s/skimmed milk and defrost in cold water as others have suggested - I put in a sink of cold water when I go to bed and it's ok for the morning - never made anyone ill yet!

I think full fat milk isn't supposed to freeze so well, although haven't tried this.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I freeze skimmed and have done so for a years will no ill effects.

To defrost I either put it on the bottom shelf of the fridge or on the work surface over night. If putting it on the work surface put a tea towel under it other wise you will have a puddle when you come down in the morning.

Will try using the sink next time.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    we buy milk weekly for the kids from tesco online and keep a freezer shelf of 1 pint plastic bottles of organic milk, just get one or 2 out at night and leave it in the 1/2 sink. the 1 pinters take less time to defrost than big 2L bottles.

I used to express and freeze breast milk for special care baby unit, so if freezing is good enough for special care babies it should be OK for us too ;)

I also keep the UHT skimmed milk for me, for tea + porridge, also good stand by if we run out of frozen milk. somehow long-life skimmed is creamier than fresh skimmed.
  • overdrawn
    Options
    hi everyone.
    does anyone freeze semi skimmed milk??
    does it defrost ok and how long does it take??
    i.m going to buy my friend's freezer (thanks to all who replied to that post !!)
    and am thinking of shopping fortnightly online and using my local farm shop for fruit and veg.
    trying to avoid impulse buys at tesco's!!
    thanks,
    louise
    well that was ruined by lending ex oh £2450 to move out!!!!!! now estimate 21st march 2006hoping to be debt free by end of feb 2006 - fingers crossed !!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=142470&highlight=freezing+milk

There is this thread on freezing milk you may find helpful
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Better still there's one on defrosting semi skimmed milk from the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky:-

[post=231403] - Defrosting semi skimmed milk[/post]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    But to answer: I do, and it's fine.
    It takes a few hours to defrost on the side (I put it on the draining board) or overnight and longer in the fridge. Depends how safety conscious you are! Sometimes I put mine in a bowl of cold water to speed the process up (but not warm water or it might go nasty).
    HTH
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive also frozen semi skinned milk, and it has been fine, i let it defrost in the fridge, it takes a little longer but i know its safe!!! It does become a little more watery, but its never been a problem.
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Also it expands as it freezes - I sometimes pour a little out of the top of the container before I freeze it (and use it I hasten to add)
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Ticklemouse
    Options
    Yep - I freeze all types of milk, in their plastic containers. I've had no problems with the bottles splitting. I have been known to keep mine for a few months before using - again OK. If I remember I leave it on the draining board to deforst but will happily use the microwave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure