PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Milk

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mrsmab59,
    i find that as well - is it down to the type of cheese? i tend to buy mature cheddar thinking i won't use so much of it (doesn't work in practice) and that goes very crumbly. If there's a special offer on cheese now I'll buy some and grate it all then open freeze it on a tray before bagging it up, then I can use it from frozen in cooking
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Juicy_Tube
    Juicy_Tube Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    What type of milk is ok for freezing please? Any?

Never done this. Do have UHT in stock and do not mind it at all(Tesco).

When I have tea at a friend's I always think it tastes 'odd', couldn't think why til she told me she froze her milk. Am a bit put off now..

JTx
    It's great in here! :)
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Juicy_Tube wrote:
    What type of milk is ok for freezing please? Any?

Never done this. Do have UHT in stock and do not mind it at all(Tesco).

When I have tea at a friend's I always think it tastes 'odd', couldn't think why til she told me she froze her milk. Am a bit put off now..

JTx

We use whole milk, and it freezes just fine. i normally just put the 4 litre plastic bottle straight in the freezer when i'm back from shopping. it takes a while to defrost, but taste isn't affected at all.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I used to freeze semi skimmed and thought it was fine but the kids moaned every time.
  • mrsmab59
    mrsmab59 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I freeze the 4 pint plastic bottles of semi skimmed and it always tastes the same as if it was being used from fresh. I fast freeze it in the first place and then defrost as quickly as possible by putting the bottle in water that is close to room temperature so maybe that helps.
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I freeze skimmed milk and never seem to have a problem.

Can't really taste any difference.

Mind you today I have stinking cold so can't taste anything anyway. LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrsmab59 wrote:
    I found that when I froze cheddar cheese it went very crumbly after defrosting.
    I slice my cheese first and wrap seperately, a little time consuming but worth it.
  • MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so I thought I would freeze my milk as I didn't have enough room in the fridge. How do I now defrost it? I don't want it to seperate you see and from memory once goats milk is frozen during defrosting it seperates. Is there a little trick or something special I can do to stop it from seperating?

Thank you in advance.
  • sarahlouise210
    sarahlouise210 Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whenever I freeze milk it always separates.. its ok once you have given it a shake! I dont like defrosting it in the microwave as it always gets a little warm and that cant be good can it ? I also find that the four pinters can burst sometimes.
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    hi there,

I just leave mine in my fridge to defrost (or on the side if I need it a bit quicker). Give it a good shake before you use it and it's fine - especially for using in coffee/tea/baking.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport