PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Milk

Options

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I freeze semi skimmed milk & I find it's fine, just needs a mega-shake after defrosting. :D

Ticklemouse, do you mean you can freeze wholemilk?:confused: I didn't think this was possible?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lillibet wrote:
    Ticklemouse, do you mean you can freeze wholemilk?:confused: I didn't think this was possible?

I freeze wholemilk too .... it depends on the wholemilk as to how it defrosts. I think it is dependant on whether it is homogenized or not, Waitrose milk is not homogenized (I think that's the right word), so they don't recommend it, but I do and it's fine .... Morrisons and Tescos is homogenized and that too I freeze. The amount of milk DH and DD consume I would forever be going to the shops otherwise!

All of the above I'm wittering about is Organic.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • SaveMoreMoney
    Options
    Yes it's fine. In fact, I've got some defrosting on my draining board as I type !

I only use the milk to go in coffee - I just don't drink milk on it's own !

Coffee tastes absolutely fine. Saves going off to the supermarket twice a week.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never even thought about what sort of milk it is TBH :) I buy and freeze whole, semi and skimmed, in 1pt, 2 pt and 4pt plastic cartons. I freeze organic and ordinary milk. Like Zed. I would always be running to the shops if I didn't freeze it. However, nowadays I tend just to buy skimmed and semi-skimmed and organic wherever I can.
  • roversbabe
    roversbabe Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Is skimmed OK to freeze? I only drink skimmed.

Thanks
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 027

Debt free: 6th April 06 :T Proud to have dealt with my debts
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I freeze the semi-skimmed four pint plastic containers. Buy mine on a Saturday and freeze for use the rest of the week. When we start fo 4 pint carton, I take another out of the freezer, pop it into a bowl and leave it until when I shake it I can't hear the little ice crystals (overnight plus a little more). Shake up before use. Sometimes I buy enough for 2 weeks but I need the rest of the room in the freezer for all the other OS things I produce :D
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    I always freeze semi-skimmed fresh milk. Defrost over night on a plate and have never had a problem.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Ronankfan
    Options
    I always freeze semi-skimmed milk too and i have never had a problem. I always give it a good shake before i use it once it had defrosted.
  • jonnno
    jonnno Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look on the side of the plastic bottle - the label usually tells you if it's ok to freeze (Tesco's milk does)
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I freeze semi-skimmed, but find I need more of it in coffee, etc. as it seems to be a little "diluted". Maybe I should start shaking the container as others seem to do.
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family