PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Right found it!:j

This is my Aunty Beryl's recipe and works with most fruits or veg or mix of both. This makes a gently spicy chutney that keeps well.

Aunty Beryl's Chutney Recipe

3lbs apples or other fruit/veg (courgettes/plums etc)
    3/4 pint vinegar
    1/2 lb chopped onions
    1 tsp grated orange or lemon rind
    1 dessertspoon (yes that much) ginger, curry powder and mixed spice

Prepare fruit or veg and simmer with other ingredients until tender.

Add 1/4 lb sultanas and 1lb sugar and cook, stirring until thick. Pot in the usual way.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    tiptoes wrote: »
    Hi everyone, do you mind if I join in your thread?
    Ive popped in and out over time but due to juggling long working hours andthe demands of family I find it difficult to make time to catch up with threads.
    Though I really do need a boost to get me OS at the moment as living with OH has started me on the road to bad habit, such as too may take aways, which mean that our shopping buget is totally blown :o
    We need to start tighting our belts finacially as both of us work for the local authority and what with the pay freeze and very really threat of redundancy we could do with being more aware of where the pennies are going.

The thread doesn't belong to any individual person or group of people. All the threads here are for all of us and you are very welcome indeed :)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • igaveupnowimback
    Options
    To Gailey, and all other Mummies who feel bad about all that stuff they "should" be doing.

A Recipe for all Mothers by Joanne Green

Today I left some dishes dirty;
    The bed I made at 3.30
    The nappies soaked a little longer,
    The odour grew a little stronger.
    The crumbs I spilt the day before
    Are staring at me from the floor.
    The fingerprints, there on the wall
    Will likely still be there next fall.
    The dirty streaks on the window panes
    Will still be there next time it rains.
    "Shame on you lazy-bones" I say
    "And just what have you done, today?"

I nursed a baby til he slept,
    I held a toddler while he wept.
    I played a game of hide and seek
    I squeezed a toy, so it would squeak.
    I pulled a wagon, sang a song,
    Taught a child right from wrong.
    What did I do this whole day through?
    Not much that shows, I guess it's true...
    Unless you think that what I've done
    Might be important to someone
    With bright blue eyes and soft blonde hair
    If that is true, I've done my share.

xx

Hi! That got me too! I am typing and watching Dragon's Den with tears running down my fave thinking about how life has been and how my babies are all grown up !!! You don't realise that they don't get that time back, do you ? Thanks ! :)
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kidcat wrote: »
    Can second the bicarb in the bath for chicken pox. the house is a horror story atm as its too wet for kids to be out in garden so they are destroying the house instead!! Its exhausting just thinking of all that needs doing, and need to start sewing labels into uniform as its school next week. Washing machine repair man will not be here till Friday and the dryer has packed up too, repair man for dryer will be Thursdy. Of course I didnt find this out till after I came back from the launderette with six loads of washing needing drying!! Party tomorrow night and no idea how I will get rid of washing before then. Praying for dry day tomorrow so I can get it on line.

Thanks everyone for moral support and poem.

Sorry im on a downer just feeling very stressed and too busy like I start jobs that never get finished, that its battle just to keep on top of basic housework and when I think about all there is to do its overwehelming.
    I write lits that carryu on until next day sometimnes day afters then wole cycle starts again.

Constant rain means stuck in house.
    nights getting darker now.

Eldest hasent seemed ill at all just whiney and spotty.
    Baby walked 8steps today shes so close to walking proper and looks pleased withherself.

Last few nights both girls fought bedtime and by time they asleep I wnat to join them rather than spend quality time with hubby, do some cooking/sewing which i enjoy or catch up on housework.

Most evenings I see look of dissapointment when hubby walks through door that its not suddenly a show home he thinsk if we had minimal possesions kids wopuldent be able to make mess!

But little tikes forever grabbing bowls and utensils from kitchen.
    Bringing toys downstairs from bedrooms.
    baby likes to destroy tv pile.
    Beige carpet had it and as its lounge /diner gets hoovered twice a day or baby would eat food off floor.

Our beddings, changed
    kitchens clean thats me done for tonight.

4year old been so naughty today and not listened.
    baby still in our bed and hubby wants her evicted into own room, trying to wean off breast but not sure how she needs it to get to sleep.

I miss the routine of preschool allowed me to deepclean lounge flloor and polish or deepclean bathroom and spend 2hours scrubbing porch.

Ebayers can be weird but finding some people on netmums even stranger.

Forcing hubby to go different sainsburys tommorow dont think hes happy hes set in ways but needs to go farmfoods for milk and bread and passes a sainsburys as needs to do mil shopping tomorow.
    Bristol may as well be called sainsbury town we have like 13 with more opening we have 2 huge ones 10mins from us different directions.

Tommorow must match up hubbys socks and sort out cloth nappies.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Annie56
    Annie56 Posts: 138 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2010 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Hi
    Just delurking and registered to post on the forums, may I just say how much I have enjoyed working my way through this thread and decided to make my first post on here.

I have just seperated from my OH and have found a lovley 1 bedroom ground floor flat which I love and have grand plans for my new place but Im seriously broke and need to get the flat up and running before the cold weather hits.
    So I shall be asking for advice and pinching your ideas so this just a hello to introduce myself my name is Annie56...off to start unpacking my belongings and starting my new life in this flat.....ever wondered if youve done the right thing???
    TODAY I WOKE UP< LOOKED AROUND ME AND SAID TO MYSELF>> ANNIE YOUR ONE LUCKY WOMAN TO HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!:D:DLive according to your means, not up to your expectations.
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Hello & Welcome Annie56 :wave:

You must feel a bit daunted - but at the same time, it's a new beginning :) and there are many good souls on here who will lend an ear and offer any advice they can.

Well done you on taking such a big step :T
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Annie56
    Annie56 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    :D:pThanks Hippeechiq, yes it has been a bit daunting but had to be done, for my sanity if nothing else, and I was made redundant last month, it was hardly the right time to seperate but I thought its now or never so its happened.
    Do you know as I turned the corner and left the weight thats felt like tons of boulders on my shoulder lifted. So my rainy day funds nearly all spent on the deposit on this flat and need to go make a visit to Jobcentre on Wednesday :cool::o but needs must till I find some work.

Ive already had the so called "friends" saying nasty things and making comments on the area Ive chosen to live in but I also think that leaving them behind as well is a good thing, there all back biting types trying to see who has the nicest house and biggest car well this gal has opted out of that lifestyle and am going to paddle my own boat with my ideas and ideals and do just what I want for once. I only have myself to consider so thats made it much easier.

Am sitting in my own wee flat with what I want on the tv and can just chuck the dishes in the sink and read all night if I want, oh boy the real me is back, wonder where Ive been the last few years..so hello world lol .....
    TODAY I WOKE UP< LOOKED AROUND ME AND SAID TO MYSELF>> ANNIE YOUR ONE LUCKY WOMAN TO HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!:D:DLive according to your means, not up to your expectations.
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    Well done TapLadys boy :beer: its so heartening to hear stories like these on here my little man starts at high school (asd unit within a special school) in Sept.:D
    !

I hope your DS settles in to his new school well D&DD:) my DS was in various units from aged 3 - assessment and observation, language unit and another observation unit then an SEC(special education centre) before going to 'proper' high school so believe me our youngsters can come on leaps and bounds in time with the correct support.
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Is £1.13.9 here today northwest. Havent seen it at £1.04 for ages.
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Annie56 wrote: »
    :D:pThanks Hippeechiq, yes it has been a bit daunting but had to be done, for my sanity if nothing else, and I was made redundant last month, it was hardly the right time to seperate but I thought its now or never so its happened.
    Do you know as I turned the corner and left the weight thats felt like tons of boulders on my shoulder lifted. So my rainy day funds nearly all spent on the deposit on this flat and need to go make a visit to Jobcentre on Wednesday :cool::o but needs must till I find some work.

Ive already had the so called "friends" saying nasty things and making comments on the area Ive chosen to live in but I also think that leaving them behind as well is a good thing, there all back biting types trying to see who has the nicest house and biggest car well this gal has opted out of that lifestyle and am going to paddle my own boat with my ideas and ideals and do just what I want for once. I only have myself to consider so thats made it much easier.

Am sitting in my own wee flat with what I want on the tv and can just chuck the dishes in the sink and read all night if I want, oh boy the real me is back, wonder where Ive been the last few years..so hello world lol .....

Good for you girl!

And you know what - I had people saying nasty things about me when I left my husband, and I think the majority of that was borne out of jealousy from other women in the same situation as me that didn't have the bottle to do anything about it.

You only get one shot at life, and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what other people say about you - it's your life, not theirs :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport