PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options

Comments

• northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    I just know if she does the 11month old get it too and stuck in house all week.
    raining here.

Trying to sell stuff but blooming people mess me about.

Trying to stay positive think weathers depressing me.

At least they'll be over and done with, chin up and try to keep smiling!

Are they messing you about on ebay? Its surprising how many no showers you get with freecycle, why do they bother?

Its been rubbish here today, lots of heavy showers and grey. I say roll on Autumn, at least you dont expect good weather and it normally is pretty good.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    Great ideas! And I am so pleased I mentioned it here...because having had a look at serviced offices, I nearly fainted at the cost of them! :) Will look into both ideas. Thanks! :)

I feel so much better actually doing something! During my lunch break, I am going to investigate Etsy and see if I can make something I could sell on there. :) My mum is setting up a store on Etsy selling childrens toys that she makes by hand (occupational therapy for arthritis!) :) Like Mother, like Daughter! :)

Crickett, will your mother be selling to the U.S.? If so then there may be CPSIA issues she needs to investigate.
  • pagangirl
    pagangirl Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    crickett1234 - glad on good news - hope your dad gets to go home soon.

JOHANNESAPHINE - if you wil be on Jobseekers allowance - I'm sure you can go on courses for free - check out with your local jobcentre - sorry about the job tho.

Hugs to all
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on :eek:

• notjustlaura
    Options
    Seasalt - Thank you. I am looking for a hobby. Had fancied college/evening classes but with watching the finances I'm not sure that can be done. Have started the cooking from scratch now.

Are you on benefits, Joanne? If so, you may be eligible to have college/Uni fees waived. Well done for applying to Home Start. Even if it doesn't lead to a permanent job doing something useful with your time will look a whole lot better on your CV than sitting doing nothing.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • igaveupnowimback
    Options
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your 4 year old Gailey. My daughter got chicken pox at same age when she started reception class at school and fortunately didn't suffer badly at all, not bad itching or anything. I appreciate it's not much fun if you can't get out though as it does seem that you are very good for getting your children out and about and entertained. I don't know how you manage all your cooking, you seem so busy all the time and with two young ones too. Are you secretly Superwoman? xx

Thanks I can assure you im not superwoman.
    Daughter starts reception 2nd week sept seems like ages aawy for 2 2hours sessions:eek:less than 12hours a week preschool as its staggered starts and settling in period so wont feel much better off until october time.

I try to get kids out if weather good even if just round local shop/park.

I do a lot of foraging but im way behind as its hard with 2kids and hasent stopped raining much in august.

The cooking is essential to keeping our monthly grocery costs down as with 2kids and me not driving prefer to do one big shop with few tops ups as wehen i run out of something always end up buying tonnes more.

The meats not so bad can freeze that its the fresh veg.

its why first week after big shop Im cooking like mad and freezing.
    Im struggling to keep up wuth schedule last few weeks think eldest being off as baby more mobile feel much more stressed and run down.

The presereve things is part of money saving and organisations for winter and xmas.

The house on otehr hand complete tip getting me down as soon as I clean and tidy kids make more mess.
    Laundry/ironing neverending

Cupboard of doom underneath stairs needs huge declutter
    all bedrooms need sort out
    kitchen serious reorganising.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • milliemonster
    milliemonster Posts: 3,708 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Hi everyone, do you mind if I join in your thread?

I am about to give up work (in 3 weeks, handed my notice in last week) and will be going from being a fairly affluent family to a skint one for the next few months, I am a nurse but have been out of nursing for a few years and will be starting uni in sept to get my registration up to date, as it's a full time 3 month course, I have had to leave my job to do it, no bursary or anything so will go from a great monthly wage to zilch until after christmas when hopefully I will be able to get a nursing job again.

So I need all the help I can get to get us through the next few months, we can manage just on DH's wage for a few months (but not indefinitely) but I want to manage our food budget of around £200 a month for 4 of us, me DH, DS age 7 and DD age 11, plus a dog, 1 rabbit and 17 chickens!

I don't regret leaving my job as the only thing good about it is the money, my boss is a tyrant and has taken to ignoring me since I have handed my notice in or being obnoxious and rude to me, I've been incredibly stressed working for him so this is going to be a big change for me and I need to embrace the OS way!!!

I already make my own bread, jam, grow some veg except its not done very well this year due to not having enough time but hopefully that will change once I have more time.

Christmas is going to be very frugal this year so will be looking for tips on how to survive it on the cheap!

any tips greatly appreciated
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    Gailey, I don't know how you cope! I feel tired just reading your posts. don't wear yourself out, especially now as the cold weather is coming.:eek:

Welcome Millie, you've got a lot of reading to do. Lots of tips and info on here!
    :beer:

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 August 2010 at 6:50PM
    Options
    Gailey, I don't know how you cope! I feel tired just reading your posts. don't wear yourself out, especially now as the cold weather is coming.:eek::beer:

I'm glad it isnt just me, my day seems a breeze compared to gaileys:)

Welcome milliemonster, good luck with your return to study. The girls (&boys - do we have any?) are fab, always on hand to give great advice when most of them are really struggling with problems. Join in as much as you can

I was paying for petrol in Morrisons when the lady in front of me was telling the cashier, "I filled up in Scotland yesterday and is was £1.04" I was paying £1.14
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you boultdj. I would, from a selfish point of view, be doing charity work to get out and see people and be useful but I find voluntary work very rewarding also. If the chance of a job came up through it then that would be an added bonus. Have filled out an application form to help out with Home-Start in the town where I live and the training for that starts end of September.

Personally - I think some sort of charitable work is well worth doing. Just from your own POV - it gets you out and about meeting people, it helps to maintain self-esteem (as you know that you are doing something worthwhile and helps A LOT in remembering that just because employers don't seem to want to give you work for the time being that doesnt mean you arent worthy of a job - because you obviously ARE). I would suggest it every time to someone in a jobless/possibly soon to be jobless situation. To some people it may be the only chance they have in a working lifetime to do a job of work that is useful and interesting - voice of experience time here:think:. So - yep...go for it...what have you got to lose?:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure