We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mobility car. Who can use it...?

Options

Comments

• pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Stuart's gone quite, :T
    You old temptress! :A
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    MY god! 3 pages since I was last on...
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    pstuart wrote: »
    You old temptress! :A

:kisses3::kisses3::kisses3::kisses3::kisses3::kisses3::kisses3::kisses3:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • pstuart
    Options
    On the motability website you can 'Ask Mo'. She says that the customers spouse can use the car for work. :)

Thats all it needed, not a million pages of oxygen stealing waffle.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2010 at 12:11PM
    Options
    dee60 wrote: »
    I am in the Midlands and a friend of my moms was using the car to go to his fathers (who had cancer) he lives around 5 miles away so always used the car to commute between his home and his fathers. He was pulled up by the police as he had a faulty brake light. When they did a check and found the car was registered to his father as a disability car, the son was told that he was breaking the law and the car was being used fraudulently, he explained about his father to the police.

Cutting a long story short both the car and blue badges were taken off his father for improper use.

But in the case above, was the vehicle registered to a different address than that occupied by the disabled person, the address registered for payment of DLA? I'm also astounded that the blue badge was revoked, as the allocation of a blue badge has no connection at all with DLA, and free road fund licence.

I suspect there was rather more abuse of the facilities than just that mentioned here.
    Swirley wrote: »
    I rang DLA about the car tax a couple of years ago, asking if my husband could use our normal car but with disabled tax for work. The answer was a resounding NO! I was told that I didn't have to be in the car, but it had to be being used for something for me (shopping, picking up prescription etc). I argued that him going to work was benefiting me, as without work he wouldn't bring in a wage that we used for food, bills etc. DVLA also confirmed this. In the end, we left the normal tax on as we didn't want to get caught.

I've had a disabled tax disc for many years (must be at least 20, I think). No one has ever questioned it at all, whether I've been in the car or not, and the car has been stopped in roadside checks, and on one occasion involved in an accident which police attended.

I don't think this law/regulation or whatever it is, is actually enforced by anyone, unless very blatant serious abuse/fraud is going on.

We certainly don't worry about my husband using the car if he needs to (altho I drive it 99.99% of the time).
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • pstuart
    Options
    This is mirrors exactly my original comment.

Those people who have posted worrying,useless,hypothetical, anecdotal, timewasting rubbish should be ashamed of themselves.

This is a disabilty forum, we've enough to care about without going cold every time we see a policeman on the road.
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    pstuart wrote: »
    This is mirrors exactly my original comment.

Those people who have posted worrying,useless,hypothetical, anecdotal, timewasting rubbish should be ashamed of themselves.

This is a disabilty forum, we've enough to care about without going cold every time we see a policeman on the road.

You still don't get it stuart do you??
    Excuse me if I am wrong but you simply don't.

The car can be used by the immediate family of the DA person. But this is all about how far that can go and the repercussions for bith the DA's outer family and the DA him/herself.

Stop ranting and read what has actually been proven without the anecdotes.

Er what was your original comment???

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• easy
    edited 16 July 2010 at 4:17PM
    Options
    You still don't get it stuart do you??
    Excuse me if I am wrong but you simply don't.

The car can be used by the immediate family of the DA person. But this is all about how far that can go and the repercussions for bith the DA's outer family and the DA him/herself.

Stop ranting and read what has actually been proven without the anecdotes.

Er what was your original comment???

Cyclone your responses to pstuart seem very rude and hostile. Why?

My view is very similar to his. As long as the car benefits the disabled person, directly or indirectly, then generally speaking it's ok for it to be used as a 'family car'.

Motability supply the cars, knowing that they have disabled classification road fund licence. They give advice to their customers, telling them that other family members can use the vehicle.
    Furthermore, I'm sure that DVLA know this is happening. They don't stop motability from applying for disabled tax discs for the cars they issue.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem regarding using a car with a disabled classification disc, nor being questioned about their use of it.

I suspect your view on this matter is a little over-pedantic.

Yes the direct.gov website says one thing (tax disc cannot be used in a car not being directly used for disabled person), but common practice allows the other view (motability openly allow use of the car for other family members).

I suspect your posts do cause some people to worry unnecessarily. And, with respect, it is your posts that tend to seem like ranting, at the moment, altho I'm sure you don't realise it..
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • cyclonebri1
    edited 16 July 2010 at 7:03PM
    Options
    easy wrote: »
    Cyclone your responses to pstuart seem very rude and hostile. Why?

My view is very similar to his. As long as the car benefits the disabled person, directly or indirectly, then generally speaking it's ok for it to be used as a 'family car'.

Motability supply the cars, knowing that they have disabled classification road fund licence. They give advice to their customers, telling them that other family members can use the vehicle.
    Furthermore, I'm sure that DVLA know this is happening. They don't stop motability from applying for disabled tax discs for the cars they issue.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem regarding using a car with a disabled classification disc, nor being questioned about their use of it.

I suspect your view on this matter is a little over-pedantic.

Yes the direct.gov website says one thing (tax disc cannot be used in a car not being directly used for disabled person), but common practice allows the other view (motability openly allow use of the car for other family members).

I suspect your posts do cause some people to worry unnecessarily. And, with respect, it is your posts that tend to seem like ranting, at the moment, altho I'm sure you don't realise it..

Go to the start and read again. If you still think the same post again.

It's not about what your views are. It is about what your can actually due with a car on DA tax class

My posts have from the start been intended to warn people just how far they can go regarding for the DA persons benefit.

Going to the shop is one thing, borrowing the DA car for a week is very much another.

I am in this position and I do know what I am allowed to do.

• easy
    Options

My posts have from the start been intended to warn people just how far they can go regarding for the DA persons benefit.

Going to the shop is one thing, borrowing the DA car for a week is very much another.

I am in this position and I do know what I am allowed to do.

I've gone back to the first posts. The thread wasn't about borrowing a DA car for a week.

You are in what position? You may believe you know what you are allowed to do, and then my dear, you carry on doing it.

But there really is no need to be soooo rude to other posters, who may feel differently to you.
    Surely we are here to offer advice and support to each other? If someone chooses not to heed your advice, there is no need to harrangue them about it.

Be nice....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure